Huh
Huh New Reader
6/11/10 11:43 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Opus
Opus Dork
6/11/10 11:58 a.m.

seems kinda wide for it, but if a Hemi 6.1 can fit in the front of a PT Cruiser, I do not see why not. Just bring cubic dollars along with the inches

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 New Reader
6/11/10 11:58 a.m.

In reply to Huh:

Well, if you REALLY want to re-engineer the Neon to be RWD, you can make anything fit. Well, possibly short of a V12 Merlin engine, but then again....

Reality? Not really worth the trouble of converting the Neon to RWD, but it is plausible.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
6/11/10 12:01 p.m.

The question is not "can it fit?" The question is, "Do you have enough time, Sawzall blades, welding supplies, and ruthlessness to make it fit?"

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
6/11/10 12:11 p.m.

Should be absolutely no problem. As long as you have the budget, tools, time and talent to do it.

That said, this might be one of those "if you have to ask you probably can't" situations.

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
6/11/10 12:50 p.m.
this might be one of those "if you have to ask you probably can't" situations.

There seems to be an echo in here...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Reader
6/11/10 2:37 p.m.

There used to be a kit available to bolt a v8 into a Kcar......

erohslc
erohslc Reader
6/11/10 2:42 p.m.

And a SBF into a Focus ...

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
6/11/10 2:43 p.m.

And you can put a 2.0L SOHC Neon in a Dodge Dart.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Reader
6/11/10 2:52 p.m.

But how would you stop the econobox?

2002maniac
2002maniac Reader
6/11/10 3:12 p.m.

You'd have to shop at beaterworld for brakes.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
6/11/10 3:18 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: But how would you stop the econobox?

Rob.. you of all people should know . You start with a Sports Coupe or R/T with 4 wheel discs.

The rest is (as everyone has already said) fabrication, determination and perspiration. I've seen pix of V8 Neons, but it's nothing to be attempted by the faint of heart.

One of my pet fantasies is to gut a Neon sedan, brace the unibody with square/round tubing, and mount a slant 6 where the dash and front seats used to be. Weld the front doors shut, and drive it from the back seat.

A "funny car", so to speak..

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Reader
6/11/10 8:56 p.m.
NYG95GA wrote:
Rob_Mopar wrote: But how would you stop the econobox?
Rob.. you of all people should know . You start with a Sports Coupe or R/T with 4 wheel discs. The rest is (as everyone has already said) fabrication, determination and perspiration. I've seen pix of V8 Neons, but it's nothing to be attempted by the faint of heart. One of my pet fantasies is to gut a Neon sedan, brace the unibody with square/round tubing, and mount a slant 6 where the dash and front seats used to be. Weld the front doors shut, and drive it from the back seat. A "funny car", so to speak..

NYG, I should have used this guy in my original post. But 2002Maniac got it.

Now your vision of a leaning tower of power Neon is more than something even I would dream up.

erohslc
erohslc Reader
6/11/10 9:01 p.m.

Find a suitable transaxle, and mount the slant six midships in the cabin.... (you could sit and drive in what used to be the engine bay, cut a cockpit hole in the hood, put up a small windscreen) Weight distribution would be 'ideal'.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
6/11/10 9:34 p.m.

Thank you, my mind is now broken.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
6/11/10 10:02 p.m.

Thought y'all might like that.

The bay cockpit idea is something I hadn't considered. I figured putting all the weight between the axles would give the best balance.

I always figured that if Ashley Force could sit in the same passenger compartment with a supercharged top fuel engine, I could get through a 50-second autocross run riding along side a slant.

One great thing about the Neon is that the exhaust tunnel is right where you would put a driveshaft anyway. Now just figure out how to route the header pipe.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
6/12/10 12:06 a.m.
2002maniac wrote: You'd have to shop at beaterworld for brakes.

now that's some funny E36 M3 right there. your brand of humor may be too subtle for the rest of the board, but I say "well played, sir. well played."

novaderrik
novaderrik Reader
6/12/10 12:43 p.m.

i've been thinking about making my 97 Cavalier into a V8/rwd beast, and i've even got a plan. it seems that a 2 wheel drive S10 has the same track width as my Cavvy, so i'd just shorten the wheelbase on the S truck frame to the Cavalier spec and drop the body on top of it. with a little firewall work to clear the engine.

the S10 has the same front suspension as a 78-88 G body, except for the center link which is shorter. there are a LOT of cheap suspension pieces fro that setup, and 12" brakes are practically a bolt in deal.

but that would leave me with leaf springs out back, which simply will not do. but luckily for me, the old Chevy Monza/Vega had a rear axle that is the same width as a 2wd S10, with the added benefit of a panhard bar and torque arm, so i'd put that out back with S10 axles for the 5 bolt flange and later model rear disc brakes from a Camaro or something.

this could all be built for under a couple thousand dollars and probably way too many weekends of work, but man, would it ever be cool..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fHCPEOiMrHvD6w61VzfB9VJ7rXLaWuUqqATrESW5YSfG6djYyfi6usiYosDWY8tj