Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/1/20 9:53 p.m.

My dad has a '62 Corvair Spyder. The car developed somewhat of a know that I thought was possibly a stuck lifter. This happened 8 years ago. The noise would come and go. 

When that happened he started cutting the floors to fix the rust and the project stalled. 

To cut to the chase, are there any parts of the car that are somewhat valuable and could be sold? I know the cluster is different for example ... not sure its valuable. 

Any input is appreciated. 

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/1/20 9:54 p.m.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow if needed. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/2/20 12:04 a.m.

Cluster is different.  I don't know what they go for these days though.

The glove box emblem and the fender and hood emblems are of course different, but I think those are repro'd now.  The hubcap center are different and rather cool (spiders).

The engine is of course special, including special tins, air cleaner, distributor etc.

Are you parting it out?, because it is clearly a restoration candidate.

Noises lifters are pretty common, especially if the car sits for a while (they drain down).  A, probably unlikely, other thing it could be is worn valve guides.  My car had what I swear was ticking lifters and it turned out to be worn guides.

Spyder convertibles of course are pretty collectible (first year of the turbo).  They are not as uncommon as you would expect these days though since they are pretty common cars to restore.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/2/20 6:32 a.m.

Local guy just sold a convertible, similar vintage, for around $10k so the market has finally allowed these cars some respect. I think in your case selling it as a whole would be better than parting it. Clark's Corvair Parts reproduces just about everything so I'd suspect used parts aren't that valuable.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/2/20 6:26 p.m.

Those guys covered it. I just felt like I had to reply because of my name.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/3/20 7:07 a.m.

Is it too far gone to make into a beater-driver?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6zwWjl4pHoXyv8cTSs8ULmTTVW5QCik2M1mPfKTElYCYgfEvNjvUUQOfwIaLqllT