1 2 3
mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
1/9/13 7:04 p.m.

A newer one was at a local autocross last fall. Had a bunch of carbon fiber bits on it and it was just beautiful. I don't want one, but I do want you guys to buy them and take pictures so I can look at them.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/9/13 7:09 p.m.

I'd actually prefer a coupe, which should bring the price down even more.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
1/9/13 8:25 p.m.

I have a problem with these used luxo barges that I desire, the cars themselves depricieate in price, but the parts do not.

There are too many awesome cars like the LS400 and the 7-Series that I shy away from because the parts (especially the common problem ones) are expensive.

I remember looking at mid 90s Jaguar XJ6s and I joined a Jag board just to find out the common issues and one was the MAF (IIRC). Apparently it's hard to find used one and a new one is like $600.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/9/13 8:40 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: I was looking into these quite heavily wne I bought my Mustang. The 2002-up versions are the best, with fewer problems overall (better timing chain guides, etc). It turns out, they are about like my 740iL for problem areas, except with stronger cooling systems. lol! Timing chains are problematic on the earlier ones, and the convertible tops have some hydraulic pressure issues, Both condtions are easily dealt with and can have strong, reliable cars fo ryears. I still want a supercharged convertible one, maybe as a replacement for my Mustang now that the 2002-2005 versions are getting under $18k for well cared for examples.

Also the early ones had the Niksel cylinder sleeve problems.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
1/9/13 8:47 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I have a problem with these used luxo barges that I desire, the cars themselves depricieate in price, but the parts do not. There are too many awesome cars like the LS400 and the 7-Series that I shy away from because the parts (especially the common problem ones) are expensive. I remember looking at mid 90s Jaguar XJ6s and I joined a Jag board just to find out the common issues and one was the MAF (IIRC). Apparently it's hard to find used one and a new one is like $600.

If used broken cars aren't more expensive than individual parts, the solution is simple: Just buy a few broken ones and you'll have a near endless supply of parts.

glueguy
glueguy Reader
1/9/13 8:55 p.m.

I knew not of this "Depreciation Station." I fear this will cause issues in my future.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
1/9/13 10:50 p.m.
Mitchell wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I have a problem with these used luxo barges that I desire, the cars themselves depricieate in price, but the parts do not. There are too many awesome cars like the LS400 and the 7-Series that I shy away from because the parts (especially the common problem ones) are expensive. I remember looking at mid 90s Jaguar XJ6s and I joined a Jag board just to find out the common issues and one was the MAF (IIRC). Apparently it's hard to find used one and a new one is like $600.

If used broken cars aren't more expensive than individual parts, the solution is simple: Just buy a few broken ones and you'll have a near endless supply of parts.

It doesn't help when they all have the same common broken part.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
1/9/13 10:57 p.m.
Nathan JansenvanDoorn wrote: There's a coupe locally for under $2k, and it needs "engine work". There's already a kit to put an LS1 in these, and it lets you use the factory gauges. http://www.jaguarspecialties.com/XK8-LSx.asp I believe the price was $1400 for the kit. Just saying.

Damn you, enabler. Damn you.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
1/9/13 11:03 p.m.

I'm not going to do this, but what's it like trying to wedge a standard trans into one of these cars? Don't care how many gears as long as there's an overdriven top.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/9/13 11:53 p.m.
glueguy wrote: I knew not of this "Depreciation Station." I fear this will cause issues in my future.

You know, that might be one of my favorite regular bits in Classic Motorsports. Next issue will likely be a late-model AMG Benz that's probably less expensive than you'd think.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
1/10/13 1:03 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
glueguy wrote: I knew not of this "Depreciation Station." I fear this will cause issues in my future.

You know, that might be one of my favorite regular bits in Classic Motorsports. Next issue will likely be a late-model AMG Benz that's probably less expensive than you'd think.

There was an episode of Top Gear from several years back where Richard Hammond bought a BMW 8 Series and Jeremy Clarkson bought a CL600 for $8k, I could only imagine that a late model AMG could be had for less than $20k.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
1/10/13 7:00 a.m.

Case in point #63:

http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/3480576359.html

Love the dash:

I smell project car!

PS You guys seriously need to hire a technical editor (now that Per's gone) to do nothing but project cars.

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
1/10/13 7:04 a.m.
Woody wrote: I'd actually prefer a coupe, which should bring the price down even more.

i totally agree the coupe blows away the ragtop. they seem a lot harder to find at the low numbers

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
1/10/13 7:45 a.m.
Woody wrote: I've been thinking about these cars for over a year but, sad to say, $7000 is still too much for me.

but after you sell the CRX .....

Jarod
Jarod New Reader
1/10/13 8:17 a.m.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/ctd/3490212693.html

All maintenance records and timing chain tensioner done... and a coupe.

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
1/10/13 8:57 a.m.
Nathan JansenvanDoorn wrote: There's a coupe locally for under $2k, and it needs "engine work". There's already a kit to put an LS1 in these, and it lets you use the factory gauges. http://www.jaguarspecialties.com/XK8-LSx.asp I believe the price was $1400 for the kit. Just saying.

And THAT'S what we've been looking for. Thanks and goodnight. LOL

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
1/10/13 8:59 a.m.

Decent looking '97 BRG convertible for $6k up here:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/3533988198.html

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/10/13 9:25 a.m.
Nathan JansenvanDoorn wrote: There's a coupe locally for under $2k, and it needs "engine work". There's already a kit to put an LS1 in these, and it lets you use the factory gauges. http://www.jaguarspecialties.com/XK8-LSx.asp I believe the price was $1400 for the kit. Just saying.

You can't make a post like this without linking to the ad:

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1997-Jaguar-XK8-leather-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ430642386

Damn that is a good deal.

@HappyAndy: Ford actually did a lot for Jaguar's quality control and thus reliability. Jaguar is worlds better than the days when they were driveway ornaments for rich people.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
1/10/13 9:29 a.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: Absolutely unbelievable. I see V8 S class MBs, 7 series Bimmers, 12 cylinder Jags, Porsche 928s and so on at the bone yard sitting right next to the Honda Civics and Kias all the time. It's simply shocking that people don't take better care of these expensive cars.............or maybe it's because they are so expensive to take care of. At any rate the interiors and bodies are typically in very good condition so it must be electomucutical whizzbang electron thingamabob's flying around everywherel.

Fixed that for you.

This is a dangerouse thread. I just hope my C30 never get's totaled or these are looking stupidly good as a DD. Payout on the C30 would be allow me to buy a resonable one, put $2k in the bank for repairs and still have some to play with. Bad idea, stupid idea, not going there, I can't hear you LALALALALALALALALalalalaa

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UltraDork
1/10/13 10:01 a.m.

Did anyone else notice this from the kit site?

"The transmission of choice is the 4L60E or 4L65E 4 speed auto overdrive transmission (although we have had at least one early XK8 customer who used a 6 speed manual transmission behind an LS1 in his XK8; contact us for details..)"

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
1/10/13 10:15 a.m.

If they were manual, you bet.

as for an auto luxo barge, I have that covered

Photobucket

Hint, The yellow sports car is mine

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
1/10/13 4:25 p.m.

IS that a LaForza?

I like the XK8's, but I'd rather take an XJR or S-Type R for a little more...

There is also something about the stock wheels on an XK8 that make me cringe, but that's easy to fix, if not cheap.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
1/10/13 4:46 p.m.
mattmacklind wrote: IS that a LaForza?

Its a modified P38 Range Rover.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo HalfDork
1/10/13 5:06 p.m.
mattmacklind wrote: IS that a LaForza? I like the XK8's, but I'd rather take an XJR or S-Type R for a little more... There is also something about the stock wheels on an XK8 that make me cringe, but that's easy to fix, if not cheap.

Considering the yo boyz blingy 20s on some of the local examples, stock wheels would be and upgrade. But still, they're not great looking and don't compliment the car.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
1/10/13 8:05 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Chris_V wrote: I was looking into these quite heavily wne I bought my Mustang. The 2002-up versions are the best, with fewer problems overall (better timing chain guides, etc). It turns out, they are about like my 740iL for problem areas, except with stronger cooling systems. lol! Timing chains are problematic on the earlier ones, and the convertible tops have some hydraulic pressure issues, Both condtions are easily dealt with and can have strong, reliable cars fo ryears. I still want a supercharged convertible one, maybe as a replacement for my Mustang now that the 2002-2005 versions are getting under $18k for well cared for examples.

Also the early ones had the Niksel cylinder sleeve problems.

True, but like the BMW V8s with the nikasil issues, if they don't have problems now, they aren't going to have any, as the high sulfur fuels that caused the problems are no longer in use.

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
OuOyH9X24oGQJz4ABovkTngSFfFOoJhAgN87dGuH777qXyAwLmFKua9ZC6oT5NSD