vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/1/21 1:32 p.m.

So I installed the 700r4 I got off this forum and I want my speedometer to work. The installed trans has an electric sender that is different from the original which I did not notice until after trans was installed. 1992 GMC Safari van (Astro). The safari uses a ring and sensor. The trans installed appears to use gears but creates electric signal. The plug from the harness fits, but no activity from speedometer. I've been using a workaround that has a notched wheel mounted to the pinion shaft and sensor on the diff housing, but it loosens up, the ring flexes, and I lose the signal. How easy to convert the gear style to the later style on the trans tail housing?

5/1/21 4:02 p.m.

Unit on the left is what's in original trans. Unit on right appears to look like what's in the installed trans. Left is labeled VSS right is speedo drive.

Harness will plug into either. Should it be a direct swap?

5/1/21 10:24 p.m.

Also, since I'm now running a carb do I need to add on a torque converter lockup since the pcm is no longer involved?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/1/21 10:34 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

Also, since I'm now running a carb do I need to add on a torque converter lockup since the pcm is no longer involved?

I'm no expert, but I'm 99% sure the answer is yes. I might still have a kit for it(that I got from Patrick when I had the Vette) if you need one.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/1/21 11:07 p.m.

Paging Curtis...

I'm sure he'll be along soon. He'll know. 

5/2/21 1:19 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

I do not have. Been looking and reading a lot over at Jagsthatrun about options. It was from them that I got the wheel and sensor to mount to the pinion shaft u joint. I really want to go back to the trans.

5/2/21 1:22 p.m.

Thinking this for speedo fix.https://jagsthatrun.com/products/parts-for-4l60-e-reluctor-ring-relocation?_pos=1&_sid=656a59c47&_ss=r

How does the lock up kit work? Something to do with vacuum and the brake switch if I've been reading things right?

5/2/21 1:33 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah I believe that's how it works. I confirmed I still have it. I think I gave Patrick $20+shipping for it? So it's yours for the same $ if you need it. 

5/2/21 1:37 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

Yeah I believe that's how it works. I confirmed I still have it. I think I gave Patrick $20+shipping for it? So it's yours for the same $ if you need it. 

Oh hey, thanks. Once I have more info I can make a decision but I think I am gonna need that. How much with shipping to 05487, Vermont?

5/2/21 2:37 p.m.

I'll check if it'll fit into a small flat-rate box($8.50) or if I'll need to use a medium one($15.50).

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/2/21 6:08 p.m.

There's some good info over at bowtieoverdrives that may help. They show how to make the lock up work.

5/2/21 6:47 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

I'll check if it'll fit into a small flat-rate box($8.50) or if I'll need to use a medium one($15.50).

Let me know. PayPal or Venmo?

5/2/21 6:48 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

There's some good info over at bowtieoverdrives that may help. They show how to make the lock up work.

Thanks. The were my next resource.

5/2/21 8:52 p.m.

Sorry, had to go rescue a possum tonight. I'll measure it tomorrow & let you know. 

5/3/21 10:38 a.m.

It won't fit in a small flat-rate box, so $35 total if you want it. PayPal is my username(no spaces) at y-hoo. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sDBdx88LomDUzi5rKEfRI8UXdg2caYhmSCNJvPUcktn1WCkrrk2iv9fWtPx4pmt9