1 2
DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
6/6/14 11:15 a.m.

A close friend has both and is willing to sell me both. Problem is I can only afford one. The 74 Super Beetle has a 1600cc engine in it. The 89 CRX has a D16A6. Both aren't much work from running and both are in good shape.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/6/14 11:16 a.m.

CRX, but is it a Sun Bug?

http://shinkindesign.com/sebeetles/sun.htm

tpwalsh
tpwalsh HalfDork
6/6/14 11:17 a.m.

Yep, CRX if it's going to be some sort of daily driver.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
6/6/14 11:18 a.m.

Bug. A thousand times out of a thousand.

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
6/6/14 11:25 a.m.
tpwalsh wrote: Yep, CRX if it's going to be some sort of daily driver.

Nope. It's gonna be a toy with a turbo

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/6/14 11:29 a.m.

In reply to DCharger68:

Definitely the CRX. I love bugs, but I've built a turbo CRX and driven a turbo bug. C-R-X.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
6/6/14 11:40 a.m.

Bug because the engine is over the drive wheels.

Oh wait....

Seriously? For me the less rust that is present, the more the scales tip towards the VW.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
6/6/14 12:20 p.m.

I'd prefer the bug.

anothernic
anothernic New Reader
6/6/14 12:32 p.m.

I'm partial because I've got got a CRX with a GSR swap that's tons of fun. Vitara pistons + a junkyard T28 or Saab turbo = easy 200whp on a decent tune with the D16A6. Si models are fun, check for rust in all the usual places - rear arches, rockers, esp rear spare tire area, sunroof.

Resale on both is probably pretty good, I don't have much experience with bugs beyond knowing the aircooled engine is nothin to write home about. Edited for getting schooled on the aftermarket for bugs.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
6/6/14 12:36 p.m.

Bug if you want a cute cool cruiser that attracts attention.

CRX if you want a car that's fun to drive but looks like a generic old Honda to non-car people (read: all women).

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
6/6/14 12:49 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Bug if you want a cute cool cruiser that attracts attention. CRX if you want a car that's fun to drive but looks like a generic old Honda to non-car people (read: all women).

That last bit doesn't apply to my girlfriend.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/6/14 12:55 p.m.
anothernic wrote: I think there *might* be a better aftermarket for the rex (again no real experience).

not in a million years.. you can practically build a beetle from the ground up on aftermarket parts

anothernic
anothernic New Reader
6/6/14 1:00 p.m.
dculberson wrote: CRX if you want a car that's fun to drive but looks like a generic old Honda to non-car people (read: all women).

;_; so true.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
6/6/14 1:03 p.m.

The first car I drove was a '74 beetle. That was later replaced by an '89 Civic hatch and then a 93' Civic Si.

Both cars can both be fun, but they are very different experiences.

The Beetle is really the last evolution of a 1936 design. I call it a good low velocity/high-speed car. Meaning that it feels like you are going much faster at 60 mph than the CRX will at 80. If you are looking for vintage European feel that can be made reliable and not cost to much maintain, It is a good chioce

The CRX is the 2 seat version one of the best handling mass market front-wheel-drive platforms. It is much newer design. You will have: - better high-speed stability - better brakes - better handling - better NVH - better HVAC - better gas mileage

If I the goal is a fast turbo-charged weekend fun toy, I would go CRX no question.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
6/6/14 1:05 p.m.
anothernic wrote: I'm partial because I've got got a CRX with a GSR swap that's tons of fun. Vitara pistons + a junkyard T28 or Saab turbo = easy 200whp on a decent tune with the D16A6. Si models are fun, check for rust in all the usual places - rear arches, rockers, esp rear spare tire area, sunroof. Resale on both is probably pretty good, I don't have much experience with bugs beyond knowing the aircooled engine is nothin to write home about. Might think about parts availability too; I think there *might* be a better aftermarket for the rex (again no real experience).

That's a no on the aftermarket. The AC VW aftermarket is probably second to Jeeps....it's massive. Not to mention forum support. thesamba.com is a monster forum that caters to AC VWs. I never thought I could find TOO MUCH info on something until I hung out at the Samba for awhile.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
6/6/14 1:11 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
anothernic wrote: I'm partial because I've got got a CRX with a GSR swap that's tons of fun. Vitara pistons + a junkyard T28 or Saab turbo = easy 200whp on a decent tune with the D16A6. Si models are fun, check for rust in all the usual places - rear arches, rockers, esp rear spare tire area, sunroof. Resale on both is probably pretty good, I don't have much experience with bugs beyond knowing the aircooled engine is nothin to write home about. Might think about parts availability too; I think there *might* be a better aftermarket for the rex (again no real experience).
That's a no on the aftermarket. The AC VW aftermarket is probably second to Jeeps....it's massive. Not to mention forum support. thesamba.com is a monster forum that caters to AC VWs. I never thought I could find TOO MUCH info on something until I hung out at the Samba for awhile.

They both have healthy aftermarket support.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
6/6/14 1:17 p.m.
Type Q wrote:
Cotton wrote:

while that's true... one has had a 40 year head start over teh other.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
6/6/14 1:17 p.m.
Type Q wrote:
Cotton wrote:

I didn't say the crx aftermarket wasn't "healthy", but you're kidding yourself if you think it comes close to the AC VWs.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/6/14 1:22 p.m.

In reply to Cotton:

In my opinion, this is a moot point. The aftermarket is huge for both of them to the point that any difference really doesn't matter. I've never had a problem buying anything I need for any of my Hondas, and I shop almost exclusively at Summit Racing, since it's less than a mile from my house. They don't exactly specialize in Hondas.

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
6/6/14 1:23 p.m.

Well I'm leaning toward the bug because my car club goes to shows and cruise ins and I'd like something people would look at and not think I'm a ricer

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
6/6/14 1:26 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Cotton: In my opinion, this is a moot point. The aftermarket is huge for both of them to the point that any difference really doesn't matter. I've never had a problem buying anything I need for any of my Hondas, and I shop almost exclusively at Summit Racing, since it's less than a mile from my house. They don't exactly specialize in Hondas.

It may be a moot point to you and some others, but I'm always excited when I find a great aftermarket for something I own. Finding parts for my 60 Beetle is so easy, finding parts for my old 944 turbo was probably similar to the CRX and pretty good, parts for my 73 Volvo 142? Sucks.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/6/14 1:34 p.m.

In reply to Cotton:

Well like I said, I have no problem getting parts for my CRX. So I guess I'm not sure what your point is. Are you familiar with the Honda aftermarket? I think it may be bigger than you think.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
6/6/14 1:39 p.m.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Honda aftermarket....definitely enough to know it doesn't compare to the AC VW aftermarket. I guess it's hard to explain or I'm not doing a good enough job at it. Obviously stating the VW aftermarket is huge and that sometimes makes my life easier compared to all the other aftermarkets I deal with isn't enough.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/6/14 1:41 p.m.

well.. when you can build a complete engine from aftermarket parts.. from the crank, block, and up.. that is a pretty good aftermarket.

The first car that I owned and drove was a 74 superbeetle with a type 4 stuffed into the back. I am not sure how I didn't kill myself with that car

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/6/14 1:44 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Bug if you want a cute cool cruiser that attracts attention. CRX if you want a car that's fun to drive but looks like a generic old Honda to non-car people (read: all women).

+1 (but there are women into cars, I've seen 'em )

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lty6gBkP3g2HA8gaV9AUqU23WXeFplVYzD79xG7zGrMPWcfCPz9FLLOZFKk7fuyz