1 2 3 4
Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
9/9/10 11:44 p.m.

Sounds like an accident just waiting to happen. Is this all about the thinning the gene pool thing?

TJ
TJ SuperDork
9/10/10 7:32 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: Where is the Xtranormal video about the guy taking his Z06 to his first AutoX... Sounds right for the situation

part 1

part 2

"I have 5 hundred and 5 horespower."

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
9/10/10 7:46 a.m.

I once took an ex-trans am corvette around Mid-Ohio. It had around 600 hp but was running out of gear about half way down the back straight. You wouldn't believe how that killed lap times. If this Camaro is geared for drag racing, he may not only be limited in the turns, but also on the straights. I personally would like to see the first time he enters thunder valley and his car gets light. BTW, drag "radials" actually don't handle all that bad, depending on the aspect ratio and size. I think the rest of his drag race setup (and his road racing skills) may be a bigger detriment.

monsterbronco
monsterbronco New Reader
9/10/10 7:52 a.m.

One of my favorite HPDE moments was riding the bumper of a gt3 throught the esses at MidO and getting a point by after the crest into thunder valley! You can hear me screaming in excitement on the in car video.

Also had an evo 8 guy stop by after a session not wanting to believe i had a stock motor.

all of this in a 2nd gen n/a rx7!

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
9/10/10 8:00 a.m.

I used to go to BMWCCA and Porsche events at MO with my highly modded turbo CRX. This was back in the early 90's, when not so many Hondas were turboed. The only car that ever passed me was my instructor at one event who came out specifically to pass me (not bragging, just stating the facts). He was in a highly modded '94 RX-7 that sounded like a vacuum cleaner as it went by! Those german car guys used to come over in the pits snooping around my car trying to figure out how I toasted them in my econobox. I always left the hood down and told them it was basically stock.

81gtv6
81gtv6 Dork
9/10/10 8:41 a.m.

Let us know if this happens, I wan to take my two boys up there and show them that power is not all its cracked up to be. ( Though my oldes, 7, already knows what a muscle car is and what they are made for)

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
9/10/10 9:38 a.m.

You guys are all assuming the Camaro guy is a total hack. It's possible he's not. Just sayin'.

Spinout007
Spinout007 Dork
9/10/10 10:10 a.m.

Truth!!! My best friend took a road trip with me up to NW Arkansas once, in my FD of course the topic of cars came up and often. At the time he drove an old luv pickup with a 350 swapped in, and quote I just don't get it why you like these rice burners so much. That was until we got up into the mountains, and we were taking corners at three times the posted speeds limit. He now drives a lightly modded 4 door integra, and he's looking for a wrx to replace it.

grpb
grpb New Reader
9/10/10 10:12 a.m.

Of course at the amateur level the car/driver that compete in the discipline will do better at that discpline than the car/driver that don't compete in the disciplne. A competent driver in a basic rental car can make all manner of 'sports cars' look bad at a trackday, this has been done many times. Amusing, but not enlightening.

To the OP I would suggest:

1) This is an opportunity to potentially spark an interest in roadracing in a drag racer, humiliation may feel nice in the short term, but a conversion would be much better in the long term (maybe he'll dump his drag stuff, you never know). This specifically includes looking out for his safety and the fun factor for the day.

2) Try to get some seat time in his car! It's fun to get a big beast of a car slowed down and turned/aimed so that you can pull the trigger and give it throttle. Same kind of throttle patience as in a FWD, but it's a fun change of pace to steer ON throttle instead of steering OFF throttle.

StevenFV19
StevenFV19 New Reader
9/11/10 11:23 a.m.

Thanks guys, I agree with all of your comments, especially with the Xtranormal video. The guy in the video definatley represents my buddy. I will keep you posted on the when/where, we're cought on logistics of towing my car here as of now. I took him to Mid-O on Labor Day, and he really enjoyed it, but he doesn't want to do a PDX because he doesnt want an instructor....big suprise. He's going to let me drive his slower 1000hp rail car sometime, but I'd have much more fun taking the Camaro around Mid-O,but he doesn't trust me. Although he doesn't want to drive with an instructor, he enjoyed watching, but said he would definately like to crew for me better. Looks like I got him interested in road racing...now time for the oval car driver who lives downstairs.

Ill keep you posted, Steven

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
9/12/10 12:58 a.m.
StevenFV19 wrote: I took him to Mid-O on Labor Day, and he really enjoyed it, but he doesn't want to do a PDX because he doesnt want an instructor....big suprise.

Heh, heh. Big mistake on his part. If you can make this happen, you're not only going to clean his clock..you're going to rebuild it for him. Wave hello to him on your next lap while he's trying to figure out how to get out of China Beach.

footinmouth
footinmouth Reader
9/12/10 5:37 a.m.

Just make sure he has a parachute for each lap . What does the winner get ???

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
9/12/10 7:44 a.m.

He'll clearly need to be moved to the fastest run group. So that he can drive his car "flatout"

3Door4G
3Door4G Reader
9/12/10 8:10 a.m.

I'm not sure he should drive without an instructor. He could die.

wbjones
wbjones Dork
9/12/10 1:46 p.m.

I just came back from Mid-Ohio... if he has a drag set-up / ego in the place of ability / OEM type brakes... etc... he'll spin .. if not at the keyhole then turn 8 will wreck him... doubt he'll make it thunder valley...

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard SonDork
9/12/10 6:10 p.m.
3Door4G wrote: I'm not sure he should drive without an instructor. He could die.
Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/12/10 6:52 p.m.

Or;

Tommy Suddard wrote:
3Door4G wrote: I'm not sure he should drive without an instructor. His car will die.
StevenFV19
StevenFV19 New Reader
9/12/10 6:53 p.m.
jj wrote:
TJ wrote:
neon4891 wrote: Where is the Xtranormal video about the guy taking his Z06 to his first AutoX... Sounds right for the situation
part 1 part 2 "I have 5 hundred and 5 horespower."
Is there a you tube version? That one is blocked. I agree that it would be good for him to start somewhere safer. Do you know anyone that has iRacing?

He has slotted rotors on his car so he thinks it can brake like a F1 car, once he slows down at any speed he will realized that he doesn't. I have iRacing, I even brought my steering wheel and pedal set to school with me, I have Mid-O too. Every Sunday our school has an AutoX competition on campus, I'll have him take the Camaro out on that for a few weekends so he knows how to turn the thing.Then we'll do iRacing, then well do a PDX, and if he doesn't want an instructor, I'll be his instructor without him knowing it so he doesn't kill himself.Although I reallly dont want to, I'm scared of a 18 year old drag racer with a 750+hpstreet car attemtping to make a turn. It's kinda funny saying that since he's almost 2 years older than me

Steven

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/12/10 8:39 p.m.

Oh! I didn't know he's 18. He needs instruction. More balls than brains. Trust me.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
9/12/10 8:58 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Oh! I didn't know he's 18. He needs instruction. More balls than brains. Trust me.

I remember what 18 could pull off with a sub100HP accord and worn 13" snow tires...

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
9/12/10 9:22 p.m.
neon4891 wrote:
Appleseed wrote: Oh! I didn't know he's 18. He needs instruction. More balls than brains. Trust me.
I remember what 18 could pull off with a sub100HP accord and worn 13" snow tires...

I remember the trouble I got into with a Type4 powered superbeetle with stock drum brakes and skinny tyres

FlightService
FlightService New Reader
9/12/10 10:11 p.m.

In reply to TJ:

That is quite possibly the funniest thing I have watched this year!!!

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/12/10 10:24 p.m.
neon4891 wrote:

So do I. I should be dead.

3Door4G
3Door4G Reader
9/12/10 11:02 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: I remember what 18 could pull off with a sub100HP accord and worn 13" snow tires...

Quoted for truth.

I had an 82 Tercel when I was 18, Had to be less than 70hp, and I got in plenty of trouble with that. No 18-year-old has any business driving around a 750hp car.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
9/12/10 11:30 p.m.

the fact that an 18 year old has a Camaro with 750HP upsets me. Did he at least build it himself?

Also, did he earn the money to build it? If not, you had REALLY better watch out.

Responsibility is the best insurance....

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KSSwK5cbbPDSjpHZ65vNhcHjk516jUCI2n7hIUaFzpjvQ9fFUQDipciEsuw6DVVW