1 2
pigeon
pigeon Reader
3/4/09 11:23 a.m.

That's why I wouldn't do it without insurance. If I could find an inexpensive track car to rent locally I may do that, I just don't even know where to begin to look for such a rental. Part of me really wants to do it in the 750 though, just because it's so incongruous to run a limo around a race track.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/4/09 11:57 a.m.
pigeon wrote: That's why I wouldn't do it without insurance. If I could find an inexpensive track car to rent locally I may do that, I just don't even know where to begin to look for such a rental. Part of me really wants to do it in the 750 though, just because it's so incongruous to run a limo around a race track.

Plus the benefit of a better understanding of how your car can handle.. Big plus for an emergency situation.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
3/4/09 1:29 p.m.

For race car rental, start w/ your local SCCA or NASA chapter. They'll either have members who are willing to rent out a car or will be able to point you to shops that do rentals.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
3/4/09 1:35 p.m.
car39 wrote: It's up to you, but I always look at my track car as a disposable item, like gas and brake pads. Your only sin may be being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I saw a Toyota climb the dirt banking protecting the infield at Lime Rock, after spinning off of the downhill, reacting to someone else's mistake. The driver was fine, but he kept repeating over and over "I still owe money on this car, how am I getting to work tomorrow?" Since you couldn't get all 4 wheels to touch the ground at the same time, it was a pretty good question.

Yep. unfortunately I've seen that repeatedly. Often at Lime Rock too. There comes a point where one should go ahead and get a "track only" car that fits the budget so these incidents have minimal impact. One should also consider equiping that car with some better safety gear. However, its hard to justify all of that expense unless you do track days often enough.

ea_sport
ea_sport New Reader
3/4/09 9:45 p.m.

Didn't Roundel drive a brand new Alpina B7 at Watkin Glens during the last OctoberFest? So it can be done.

pigeon
pigeon Reader
3/4/09 9:48 p.m.
ea_sport wrote: Didn't Roundel drive a brand new Alpina B7 at Watkin Glens during the last OctoberFest? So it can be done.

Unfortunately I didn't make O-fest, and it was right in my backyard but I don't recall reading anything in Roundel about a B7 being on track there.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/5/09 6:10 a.m.

That track is awesome. I am jealous. Take plenty of pictures and vid if possible...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EBPZ5m4DWN5mpBwF3LP8r9gB7chJb1VTqLcc4El7KzHoOt6F6VbV6getmAmrLUCB