1 2
DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
6/3/14 12:30 p.m.

So the deal to sell my 77 Camaro LT fell through so I decided I'm gonna build it. I believe I'm gonna build a tube chassis. Mostly because its either that or the scrapyard. What's the best way to mount an engine in one and how hard is it to custom fab a parallel 4 link? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated

dean1484
dean1484 UltimaDork
6/3/14 12:37 p.m.

I would consider getting an old nascar chaise and move the sheet metal and the cough cough fire wall (check you local regs for what constitutes a repair to a car) over to it.

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
6/3/14 12:42 p.m.

Well I guess tube chassis may not be the best description. I'd like to build a one piece frame out of 2x3 square tubing with a 10pt roll cage and set the body down on top of it.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/3/14 1:01 p.m.

Were they unibody by then?

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
6/3/14 1:04 p.m.

It's a unibody with a subframe in the front.

dean1484
dean1484 UltimaDork
6/3/14 1:58 p.m.

I still like my idea. Fitment is definitely an issue. You would have to cut the floor and the firewall out of the Camaro tub and maybe more depending on how the fitment of the cadge is inside the tub but it would be so cool when done.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
6/3/14 2:38 p.m.

Not really a subframe as much as a full blown front half of a body on frame type frame bolted to a unibody. There's nothing forward of the firewall on a completely stripped gen 1/2 F body.

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
6/3/14 2:54 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic: that's why I'm wanting to build a frame. The front subframe is barely hanging on to the body

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
6/3/14 2:55 p.m.

Motor plate and buy a used rear setup instead of fabbing from scratch.

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
6/3/14 2:58 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: Motor plate and buy a used rear setup instead of fabbing from scratch.

A used rear 4 link setup? I'm gonna have to do some fab work on my 9" anyway.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
6/3/14 3:03 p.m.
DCharger68 wrote:
ebonyandivory wrote: Motor plate and buy a used rear setup instead of fabbing from scratch. You had asked if it was tough to fab, I just figured you could find a setup already mostly built. Could probably find one for a 9"
A used rear 4 link setup? I'm gonna have to do some fab work on my 9" anyway.
81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
6/3/14 3:21 p.m.

I did my 81 Camaro with a 12-point cage, with solid body mounts and homemade subframe connectors. That stiffened up the chassis quite a bit. Or for a full tube frame you could do it like this:
http://www.solomatters.com/rolling_awesome_the_ver_mulm_camaro

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
6/3/14 3:32 p.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: I did my 81 Camaro with a 12-point cage, with solid body mounts and homemade subframe connectors. That stiffened up the chassis quite a bit. Or for a full tube frame you could do it like this: http://www.solomatters.com/rolling_awesome_the_ver_mulm_camaro

It's neat but narrowing and shortening it looks deeper than I'd like to go

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
6/3/14 3:34 p.m.

i would buy an older roundy round chassis, one with no offset and set the body down over it

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
6/3/14 3:35 p.m.
DCharger68 wrote: In reply to Kenny_McCormic: that's why I'm wanting to build a frame. The front subframe is barely hanging on to the body

If its that bad I'd scrap it and find another one, plenty of 2nd gen F boides out there last I checked.

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
6/3/14 3:41 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
DCharger68 wrote: In reply to Kenny_McCormic: that's why I'm wanting to build a frame. The front subframe is barely hanging on to the body
If its that bad I'd scrap it and find another one, plenty of 2nd gen F boides out there last I checked.

I've considered it. But I bought it knowing this. I wanted a real challenge to see if I could do it. I'm wanting to open a shop eventually so I figured this car would be a good way to see if I'd be any good at building them for a living. Plus I'd hate myself just scrapping it

BlindPirate
BlindPirate New Reader
6/3/14 7:30 p.m.

All but a small minority of short track cars in the 70s and 80s were 2nd gen camaros.Like warpedredneck said find one thats not offset and but your body over it

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
6/4/14 6:48 a.m.
DCharger68 wrote: So the deal to sell my 77 Camaro LT fell through so I decided I'm gonna build it. I believe I'm gonna build a tube chassis. Mostly because its either that or the scrapyard. What's the best way to mount an engine in one and how hard is it to custom fab a parallel 4 link? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated

Really need a better mission statement and some requirments for this project. Picture of the car would help.

When you say the front is barely hanging on, do you man this is a rust bucket with a bad firewall?

What is your tool, talent and time arsenal looking like? Is there a budget.

If you ever want to do this for other people, realize that you never fab what you can buy; re-inventing wheels is a liability and time eater.

There are a ton of abandoned projects out there that you could cannibalize or realize that they are a better starting point. Do some searching. Many will be crap and some will be good deals.

If this is to be your learning car, you need to approach it with a pretty open wallet and time slot. Education should not be hampered by these constraints, you need to focus on the task at hand and give it your best shot; if you wont do it for yourself, you certainly wont be inclined to do it for customers. And then realize that running a shop has nothing to do with fabricating cars you get stuck running the show.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
6/4/14 7:22 a.m.
BlindPirate wrote: All but a small minority of short track cars in the 70s and 80s were 2nd gen camaros.Like warpedredneck said find one thats not offset and but your body over it

This. The only reason they stopped being popular here is they all rusted away. Your existing front subframe is the beginning of your chassis and you build off it. Look around online and you should find info on chassis ideas and changes to make to your subframe for better handling.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
6/4/14 7:47 a.m.

What about a circle track cage kit and frame connectors. I remember quite a few pure stocks and street stocks back in the day. Not the best option but at least w/ the factory subframe you'll retain the front end geometry and still get a lot of fab time in. For the four link you'll hafta get a little more creative. If you're a beginner, beats the heck outta building a whole new frame end to end. Prolly not what ya wanna hear tho.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
6/4/14 8:46 a.m.

What kind of surface do you have to build this baby? You need something dead flat and level to do your measurements from.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
6/4/14 9:05 a.m.
DCharger68 wrote:
81cpcamaro wrote: I did my 81 Camaro with a 12-point cage, with solid body mounts and homemade subframe connectors. That stiffened up the chassis quite a bit. Or for a full tube frame you could do it like this: http://www.solomatters.com/rolling_awesome_the_ver_mulm_camaro
It's neat but narrowing and shortening it looks deeper than I'd like to go

I was thinking more in line with building the frame like he did, but at the stock Camaro size and with the engine more in its original position. Ron's car is a good illustration of how to build a frame though.

As for engine attachement, front and rear motor plates are a good way to go. If for street use, I would incorporate some type of rubber/poly bushing or go with more traditional engine mounts, to reduce vibration.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
6/4/14 9:40 a.m.

Schwarz Performance sells a full chassis kit for F body cars; it's probably outside your budget but the pictures may be useful for inspiration: http://www.schwartzperformance.com/1970-1981-f-body-camaro-firebird-chassis-full-frame/

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
6/4/14 11:54 a.m.

The firewall is solid, but the floors are all but gone. The front subframe is only holding on at the firewall. And I'm willing to take plenty of time, have a full shop to use, and am used to custom fabricating stuff (full suspension on a "racing" lawnmower for example). I'm more than willing to learn what's necessary

Wally
Wally MegaDork
6/4/14 12:16 p.m.

You don't need the floors anyway. Start adding tubing where the subframe ends and put a nice three link in the back.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VWgEVOWuVDrGclEqMwrVgqhnX0eZr9jSxLqCPin2maoGjUN7vdAnp4K6US3KVYZw