1 2 3 4
Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
5/13/16 10:41 a.m.

Damn they expensive. Would have to take out a loan for that.. But that would be amazing to have when I want to go on trips..

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
5/13/16 10:48 a.m.

The VWs certainly have character. Word of caution with them however, the crumple zone is your feet. A friend of mine is now on a prosthetic due to getting hit by a drunk who was probably going 20-25 (friend was stopped).

If you type "camper van" in your local CL you'll likely find a bunch of choices in full size American vans.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
5/13/16 10:52 a.m.

I could maybe sleep in my car one night, but 8 months...no way. Even a Winnebago would get plenty old, you'll probably want to figure on periodic stops at hotels.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
5/13/16 10:55 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote: The VWs certainly have character. Word of caution with them however, the crumple zone is your feet. A friend of mine is now on a prosthetic due to getting hit by a drunk who was probably going 20-25 (friend was stopped). If you type "camper van" in your local CL you'll likely find a bunch of choices in full size American vans.

Whoa, sorry to hear about friend. That sucks. Good tip.

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/rvs/5554552961.html

aint too bad

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
5/13/16 10:58 a.m.

And there is always parking down by the river.....

https://www.youtube.com/embed/3nhgfjrKi0o

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/13/16 11:05 a.m.

Another way that might be fun would be to spread the $5k between many consecutive beaters, scrapping them when they fail or get too gross to live in.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
5/13/16 11:15 a.m.

I aint seeing much for camper vans in my area.. Raleigh NC.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/13/16 11:54 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote: The VWs certainly have character. Word of caution with them however, the crumple zone is your feet. A friend of mine is now on a prosthetic due to getting hit by a drunk who was probably going 20-25 (friend was stopped).

Definitely an issue for the bay window buses. You basically put your foot on one of the headlight buckets, all that's in front of you is one piece of sheet steel.

The Vanagons are a lot better/stronger with legitimate bumpers and at least some crumple space. Crash tests were a thing when they were developed. Search for "vanagon crash test" and you'll see a bunch of real-world hits.

The Eurovans are going to be similar to any other van of the 90's.

johndej
johndej Reader
5/13/16 11:59 a.m.

You're not far from this one - asking $7500

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/5566024603.html

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/13/16 12:03 p.m.

67 rampaging air cooled horsepowers! :) If you are looking for a Subaru swap candidate, a watercooled will be easier because it already has the plumbing for a cooling system. 1984 or later, IIRC.

Three basic versions of the Vanagon: the original aircooled ones, the early waterboxers and the 1986-ish update with the square headlights. The interiors got nicer and nicer (although the design never really changed, just colors and materials), and those updated ones can take a big brake upgrade from a junkyard Audi. Mine's an early waterboxer.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
5/13/16 12:07 p.m.

ah, ok. I hear the waterbox is what you want if you don't want to go with a suburu swap.

Hmm it's down to camper vans. Ford Econo Line/Dodge Sprinter or VW. I'm partial to either.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/13/16 12:20 p.m.

I've seen a nicely home-modified Sprinter. Get a VW "kitchen" and build yourself a nice big bed in the back

captdownshift
captdownshift UberDork
5/13/16 12:27 p.m.

Fuso box truck and trip to ikea and REI for an epic DIY conversion

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane HalfDork
5/13/16 12:29 p.m.

Depending on how much time you're planning on "living" in the vehicle, my vote would be a Chrysler/Dodge minivan with stow-n-go. I'm planning on taking mine to the track in two weeks. Enough room for stuff, and it'll become a flat floor to sleep on in two minutes or less.

wnick
wnick New Reader
5/13/16 12:31 p.m.

VWs are cool, but what about an Odyssey? Plenty of room in the back. A friend has one, they are great on gas and reliable. I don't think prices are high.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
5/13/16 1:03 p.m.

I'm sort of thinking a honda element with back seats taken out. A small roll up mattress and some storage / portable gas grill might do the jobb.. Maybe I won't do one long road trip. But a few 1-2 month trips with stops at friends houses. More stealth too.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
5/13/16 1:15 p.m.

damn Odysseys have way more room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOSxWf4_sxU

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
5/13/16 1:26 p.m.

Camper Van

Something like this. Called the Class B. This has the advantage of looking like a conversion van, which will allow for "stealth" camping (WalMart parking lots, truck stops, etc) instead of looking like an RV and getting asked to move.

IF you end up doing it, I'd still budget for a hotel on a regular basis. Just to get a chance to wash clothes, sleep in a big bed, take a long shower, etc.

There are whole websites dedicated to this type of living. For Example Van Dwellers

I think your biggest priority will be reliablilty. Having an engine or transmission go when you're in the middle of now where will be expensive.

You could also plan your trips around RV parks which would provide a little less stealthiness while providing shower/laundry/electricity facilities cheaper than a hotel.

-Rob

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
5/13/16 2:35 p.m.

Pick up with camper is always a good option https://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/rvs/5581490188.html

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/13/16 2:37 p.m.
wnick wrote: VWs are cool, but what about an Odyssey? Plenty of room in the back. A friend has one, they are great on gas and reliable. I don't think prices are high.

The big difference is that you can get a VW camper with two beds, storage and a kitchen. An Odyssey is a minivan. Fine if you're okay eating sandwiches all the time and sleeping in a sleeping bag on a mostly-flat floor.

Quite a difference in size between an Element and an Odyssey. Elements are surprisingly small.

XLR99
XLR99 Dork
5/13/16 2:42 p.m.

While I love the idea of the Westy or Eurovan, I'm leaning towards Dodge Caravan for the OP's requirements. Between budget, and the plan to be on the road for a long time, everyone in every town will have Caravan parts available. Would he be able to find something reliable enough for a trip within the 5k budget? Put some limo tint in back, a bit of time building out some simple storage and bed solutions like in the Element thread from a few weeks ago, and go touring.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/13/16 3:03 p.m.

I have owned Westy, 4 MicroBuses, 2 Class Bs, a teardrop, several popups, and several other RVs.

I'd be looking for something based on a full sized American van- preferably Ford or Chevy. You'd be shocked at how many small towns you can get stranded in that have no mechanics who understand FWD, fuel injection, or anything foreign.

For the home on wheels, a class B or cutaway. For fuel economy, maybe a conversion van or cargo van with a V6 (which would rival the fuel economy of a mini van). For serious boondocking, something with 4WD.

Stealth should not be an issue WalMarts permit campers nationwide, and there are lots of free boondocking opportunities.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
5/13/16 3:06 p.m.

VW camper so nice but I wouldn't do good with it. I'd flip out about the first of many breakdowns. I don't do well in those situations.

captdownshift
captdownshift UberDork
5/13/16 3:12 p.m.
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/13/16 3:27 p.m.

I also agree with a US-based conversion van. Any of the big-3 will do. Pick the one that bothers you least. Personally, I like Fords as they have a smidge more front leg room.

Get one with a raised roof. Although you probably won't be able to stand fully upright, you will appreciate the additional head room when spending time in it.

Half-ton versions are common and cheap to buy, maintain and insure.

Fuel mileage will be in the mid-teens. Sometimes upper-teens.

Best of all, they are stealthy to the point of being damn near invisible.

Yes, your friends will tease you endlessly about "free candy" and what not.

I bought a minivan ('08 Grand Cavavan) with the hope it could serve in a similar fashion as you describe. I even built a bed for the back. Unfortunately, once you add in the various things you'll need in order to live, the lack of space becomes apparent quickly. I miss my old conversion van and will likely own another one. They are hard to beat when it comes to $/space.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YRvUaEm9X2TASnvw7rzYXmpX1HUjjMuJPJqjw0DG7QLmAVhNeBDiJ7pBqvELblBE