1 2 3 4
buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
1/26/20 10:24 p.m.

My diesel racecar will rev to 5500 on the stock governor. Hearing a straight piped turbo diesel at 5500 is absolutely wild.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
1/26/20 11:05 p.m.

How about under 20k. Stock engine. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/26/20 11:10 p.m.

Almost double those rpms and now we're talking.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
1/27/20 1:03 a.m.

Honda is going to be your cheapest way to an 8k redline. 

AP1 S2000 = 9000

AP2 S2000 = 8000

2006-2011 Civic Si = 8000

RSX Type S = 8000

94-97 Del Sol VTEC = 8200

92-01 Integra GSR = 8000

The list goes on..

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/27/20 2:06 a.m.

So, someone help me with mysteries of the magic spinning triangle...

A rotary spinning at 9000 rpm is only spinning the rotors at 3000 rpm, but is also making 3 power pulses, per rotor, per revolution, for a total of 6 power pulses... but... "normal" motors (e.g. a six cylinder) would make one power pulse per cylinder ever TWO revolutions.

So, does a rotary at 9000 rpm, make the same number and rhythm of noise as a 6 cylinder at 18,000 rpm, a 6 at 9000 rpm, or a 12 (one that does not fire cylinders in pairs, which I "think" most do) at 9000 rpm? (The first and the last are probably the same)

Am I forgetting something here? 

Does a three rotor add another set of three evenly spaced pulses per revolution?  I would assume so, lest it make for some pretty lumpy power pulses.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
1/27/20 5:08 a.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

A bunch of the drag trucks and pullin trucks I work on sprin that also. One guy spins his 6.7 Cummins to 6k.... It's a racket. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/27/20 6:31 a.m.
tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 Reader
1/27/20 6:52 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

You are right that when the eccentric shaft is at 9,000 RPM, the rotors are only spinning at 3,000 RPM. For each rotor, you get one combustion event per revolution of the eccentric shaft. For a 2-rotor, you are getting 2 combustion events per revolution of the eccentric shaft which is comparable to a 4-cylinder (1 combustion event per cylinder every 2 revolutions of the crank).

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
1/27/20 7:06 a.m.

BMW v10 from the m5 and my. At full song it sounds like....I can't describe it. 

Spend 1 min and 20 seconds watching this video and you tell me:

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/27/20 8:23 a.m.
aircooled said:

So, someone help me with mysteries of the magic spinning triangle...

A rotary spinning at 9000 rpm is only spinning the rotors at 3000 rpm, but is also making 3 power pulses, per rotor, per revolution, for a total of 6 power pulses... but... "normal" motors (e.g. a six cylinder) would make one power pulse per cylinder ever TWO revolutions.

Per revolution of the rotor.  One pulse per rotor per revolution of the flywheel.   A 2 rotor has the same firing frequency as a 4 stroke four cylinder.

The trick was NSU convinced the powers at be to rate Wankel displacement at swept volume per rotor per revolution, which is half of what a 4 stroke engine is (needs 2 revolutions per cylinder for swept volume).  So they could sell cars that were taxed like 1-liters but made power like 2-liters.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/27/20 2:53 p.m.

I have two friends, both BMW types, who just love the ring-a-ding of a high winding engine.  They both drive around town at least one gear lower than they need to.  One, because he has an M3 with one of the "all the revs" V8s that will barely spin the flywheel at 1500 rpm, the other with a weak sister Japanese market two liter six cylinder 320i which makes none of the torques, no matter how fast you spin it.

I really enjoy bothering them about how much faster their cars would be with 2000 fewer rpm's and forced induction of some sort, and that RPMs purely for the sake of RPMs is like eating a banana because its yellow.

They dismiss me, and call me old and lame.  Sometimes I do big burnouts in my supercharged Camaro at 4000rpm when they are watching. 

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
1/27/20 3:23 p.m.

BMW N52B30 redlines to 7k, can go a little higher with tuning.

NA i6 with 255hp-ish.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
1/27/20 5:43 p.m.

I do love the i6 options. I totally get that cubic inches and forced induction are the way to more power etc, but the cleanliness of throttle Input at the razors edge of a nice high output high revving NA just feels good. 

weedburner
weedburner Reader
1/27/20 6:54 p.m.

The cars in this class all use NA factory sealed Coyote crate engines, no modifications permitted, all using the class required Ford ecu and spec tune, which includes an internal 7800 rev limit. Basically engines pulled from the assembly line with anti-tampering seals installed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1HF7fmftWg

Grant

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/27/20 6:58 p.m.

Holy E36 M3 that was violent.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
1/27/20 7:12 p.m.
weedburner said:

The cars in this class all use NA factory sealed Coyote crate engines, no modifications permitted, all using the class required Ford ecu and spec tune, which includes an internal 7800 rev limit. Basically engines pulled from the assembly line with anti-tampering seals installed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1HF7fmftWg

Grant

Holy berkeley. That was awesome. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/27/20 8:06 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I have two friends, both BMW types, who just love the ring-a-ding of a high winding engine.  They both drive around town at least one gear lower than they need to.  One, because he has an M3 with one of the "all the revs" V8s that will barely spin the flywheel at 1500 rpm, the other with a weak sister Japanese market two liter six cylinder 320i which makes none of the torques, no matter how fast you spin it.

And?  So?  Therefore?

High revs sound fun.  Shifting feels fun.  What's the problem?

Mind you, of the two cars I own that I drive the most, one has a heavily turbocharged 2.5l engine (huge!!!) because commuting is not about "fun" as much as it is being able to instantly exploit the 1.5 car length gap between the Jeep in front of you and the Sportage in the next lane so you can get around the roadblock and go to work.  And the other does all the revs but I am always changing gearing so that I can get the torque curve at the right spot for 2nd gear to be perfect for corner exit, because it exists as a competition vehicle and competition is not about having fun driving, it's about having fun competing, and there's a difference between the two.

I'd like to have a 1.8 V6 MX-3 as a fun car.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
1/27/20 8:29 p.m.

2 liter inline six would be the sex. Is the rb20 any good? It's turbos though I think- and heavy?

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/27/20 8:41 p.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3 :

They also made it in nonturbo form.

I always thought it'd be cool to put an RB20DE with ITBs in a 240Z.  Kind of a poor man's Z432.  This was BEFORE that I found out the RB engine is more or less an L six with a DOHC head.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
1/27/20 9:15 p.m.

What kind of weight are we talking?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/27/20 10:10 p.m.

From what I've read, you can do headwork and get an RB20 to spin really fast, but it wont make any power up there as the head doesn't flow that well.  Boosted it is possible with a huge turbo.

Most people seem to just go straight to RB25 or 26 because its a much simpler route to make a ton of power.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/27/20 10:21 p.m.
codrus said:
APEowner said:

If you've got deep pockets the Ferrari 458 Italia will spin to 8k and sounds amazing doing it.  The Porsche GT3 is another amazing sounding engine that loves to rev.

The Ferrari 328 is 7700, I think the 348 is 8K.  The F355 is 8500.  Purchase price on those is a lot lower than a 458, although maintenance is another issue. :)

The 360 Modena is 8700.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
1/28/20 12:01 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

From what I've read, you can do headwork and get an RB20 to spin really fast, but it wont make any power up there as the head doesn't flow that well.  Boosted it is possible with a huge turbo.

Most people seem to just go straight to RB25 or 26 because its a much simpler route to make a ton of power.

Huh. Too bad. Maybe the s54 is the answer for this question. 

FormulaReed
FormulaReed New Reader
1/28/20 12:02 a.m.

Sings is not the word that I would use to define the sound that my c4 zr1 makes at 7.5k, but it makes a hell of a sound.

Mine has degreed cams, ported heads, intake, headers and 3" pipes. 

aw614
aw614 Reader
1/28/20 12:18 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I really enjoy bothering them about how much faster their cars would be with 2000 fewer rpm's and forced induction of some sort, and that RPMs purely for the sake of RPMs is like eating a banana because its yellow.

They dismiss me, and call me old and lame.  Sometimes I do big burnouts in my supercharged Camaro at 4000rpm when they are watching. 

I own both a low revving modern 2.0t turbo car and a high revving 1.8l 4 cylinder. The 2.0t is decent for highway passing, hitting boost, and making whoosh noises, but I prefer driving the high revving 4 cylinder over the 2.0t turbo car in most situations. 

Does the shelby gt350 bother you b/c it revs to 8000 rpm too? 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6coTTKpnI8BrQUUMqUZpA9ms6RIy76rlQ5GUxQX0iUGyEz1XEvhywEtIGHpHKFzt