1 2
CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
2/15/18 7:26 p.m.

It's funny reading these journalists thoughts from back then. Some didn't trust turbochargers. 

I also didn't realize that the GTI was called the GT at one point, or that it was built in Wisconsin. 

Also, Renaults were sold here, wow. My family had an Alliance that my dad really hated. He was t-boned because it didn't have the power to get out of the way of someone who ran a stoplight. Last French car we bought. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
2/15/18 7:32 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

GTI the “I” stood for injected.

also the Si on Honda’s was for Sequential Injection :)

GLH = Goes Like Hell

GLH-S = Goes Like Hell - S’more

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
2/15/18 11:12 p.m.

If anyone can locate a cheap rust free Pontiac LeMans for me I would be pretty happy.   The hatchback in the picture below.  So want a GT/E  Vauxhall replica.  So want.  Didn't Donalson try to build a Challenge car from one? smiley

BoxheadCougarTim
BoxheadCougarTim MegaDork
2/15/18 11:14 p.m.

You're probably better off just trying to import a GT/E from Europe. IIRC they're either legal now or will be very soon.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
2/15/18 11:15 p.m.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
2/15/18 11:19 p.m.

Free Delivery. 11,250 English pounds. Does free delivery include the U.S.? laugh

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
2/15/18 11:21 p.m.

Another fave from the U.K.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
2/16/18 7:47 a.m.

Here is an ad from when GRM was called AutoX Magazine.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
2/16/18 8:26 a.m.

Not only are the 0-60 numbers laughable today...but were pretty good in those days...but look at the braking distances. 

Oh, and I'm not ashamed to admit I loved the Sunbird when it was new.  I was a teenager who was in love with cars, and I thought it had really awesome styling.  In the later 80's, I worked at Pizza Slut and my boss had a turbo.  I got to do a lot of deliveries in it, and man was it fun!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/16/18 9:59 a.m.

I've always had a thing for GLH-S'. I was/ am a RWD guy, but  there's just something about 175hp in a mid 80s Omni that appeals to me. 

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 New Reader
2/16/18 10:52 a.m.
nutherjrfan said:

If anyone can locate a cheap rust free Pontiac LeMans for me I would be pretty happy.   The hatchback in the picture below.  So want a GT/E  Vauxhall replica.  So want.  Didn't Donalson try to build a Challenge car from one? smiley

Finest examples of Daewoos right there

adam525i
adam525i Reader
2/16/18 11:10 a.m.

In reply to noddaz :

Having driven ours (Eddie Bauer AWD extended version - teal!) as a 17 year old I can say they were a lot of fun when the roads were covered in snow or in an empty snowy parking lot! That thing was a donut/drifting machine on slick roads.

Adam

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
2/16/18 2:23 p.m.
CyberEric said:

I also didn't realize that the GTI was called the GT at one point, or that it was built in Wisconsin. 

It wasn't.  The Golf GT was a notch below the GTI.  

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
2/16/18 7:44 p.m.

Gotcha, in the article they say "GT, formerly the GTI" so I thought otherwise. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/16/18 11:21 p.m.
trucke
trucke SuperDork
2/19/18 3:59 p.m.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
2/19/18 4:26 p.m.

Seeing the Car and Driver comparo sure brought back memories of me reading it in the late 80's and early 90's before I had my license.  I seem to recall Patrick Bedard was so impressed with the FX16 that he actually bought one.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltimaDork
2/19/18 8:56 p.m.

135 hp was big stuff in the early 80's. Won SSB in 1981 with John Heinricy at the wheel.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
2/19/18 9:51 p.m.
trucke said:

Came for the hot hatch goodness. Stopped when I recognize the exit sign for SWMBO's house. laugh

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
2/20/18 4:54 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku :

+ for the X11.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a8mDmVKpHf268HL6L4nVWB8AfO9Mgct0fUK4dp7VwAfFz0eoYSKCaUSnSM7cJMv4