1 2
Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz New Reader
1/6/10 12:56 p.m.

I'm going to sell this car and can't find any value info anywhere. Haven't found any others for sale and can't locate a forum for these cars.

I'm the original owner. 105,000 miles. I bought it for my wife from a dealership a relative owned. I never drove it much because I always had cooler cars and trucks so almost all the miles were from her going to work. I just drove it from CT to FL a couple weeks ago. Has new clutch and slave cylinder, new front calipers and rotors, new master cylinder and pads (all 4 wheels), No leaks and good tires. Headliner falling but the rest of the interior is nice. Rust started around rear wheelwells and a little behind each front wheel. Clearcoat peeling in some sections. Pics below taken this week.

The Twin Cam model was a special edition of the Nova that used the dual overhead cam MR2 engine and this one has the 5 speed. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/chevrolet-nova21.htm

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
1/6/10 1:05 p.m.

I'd rock it, but 4A-GE cars aren't worth all that much outside of the RWD Corollas (and that's due to drift tax). I'd look at Corolla FX16s as a comparison for price, they also had the 4A-GE, but in a 2-door Kammback instead of the sedan.

To someone who knows what a 4A-GE is, it'd probably be worth $2k, maybe $2500 due to the low mileage and clean condition. If there's any collectors out there, maybe $3k.

To someone who doesn't I can't see it going for anymore than $1500, and that's just 'cause it's clean. To them, it's just another '80s FWD econobox.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
1/6/10 1:05 p.m.

A Twin Cam Nova in that shape is impossible to find, so in a sense it is priceless. The Nova name doesn't help that car, everyone who loves Nova's hates the fact that it is an import (kinda) and people looking for a sporty little compact certainly don't search for the Nova name.

If I needed a runabout to keep at my place in Florida, I would offer you $1000 considering the mileage and the rust repairs that need done, and be willing to stretch to $1250. That has nothing to do with its actual value of course.

patgizz
patgizz Dork
1/6/10 1:12 p.m.

priceless or worthless?

any 80's nova carries a stigma and is worth $500 tops.

but you have a $1250 offer above, so its worth 1250.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/6/10 1:25 p.m.

I knew a guy that worked for one of the big 3 in Detroit. Foreign made cars would be vandalized regularly in the employee parking lot. One was pierced with a fork lift, picked up, moved, and I think somewhat crushed. The forklift operator didn't even get a reprimand. Anyway, this guy didn't want any POS chevy, and as he was on the Toyota Mods mailing list, he leaned pretty heavy to Toyotas. He bought one of those Twin Cam Nova's and never had a problem in the parking lot.

Anyway, 100K miles, rust, yeah $1250 isn't out of line. Now, if it has the non-TVIS motor, known as the Small Port, then add another $250, but that motor came in Corollas starting in '89. I dunno about the Chevy's. You can tell by looking at the intake manifold. If it says TVIS on it, or if it has 8 runners between the plenum and the head instead of 4, then it's a Large Port.

TreoWayne
TreoWayne New Reader
1/6/10 1:38 p.m.

That is awesome. My first car was a 1985 Chevy Nova. Mine had a carbed single cam motor and a three-speed automatic. Sloooooow.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
1/6/10 1:43 p.m.

Your car is perfect fodder for ebay.
You don't know how much to charge so why not see how much people are willing to pay.

Whore yourself out around the auto forum world asking the question, "how much do you think this car is worth?" Then about a week later, find you original forum postings and mention that you have put the car on ebay. Take the longest auction time you can get. About halfway through your auction, revisit your forum postings and again draw attention to your car.

rjones33
rjones33 New Reader
1/6/10 2:01 p.m.

In reply to jrw1621:

perfect advice.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
1/6/10 2:02 p.m.

Is the car in FL now? My dad wants a fuel sipper to run around Daytona Beach in. Oddly enough they're snowbirds from CT.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz New Reader
1/6/10 2:27 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Is the car in FL now? My dad wants a fuel sipper to run around Daytona Beach in. Oddly enough they're snowbirds from CT.

Yes, the car's in Delray Beach. If your parents can afford to be snowbirds they can probably afford a nicer car to leave down here.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz New Reader
1/6/10 2:36 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Your car is perfect fodder for ebay. You don't know how much to charge so why not see how much people are willing to pay. Whore yourself out around the auto forum world asking the question, "how much do you think this car is worth?" Then about a week later, find you original forum postings and mention that you have put the car on ebay. Take the longest auction time you can get. About halfway through your auction, revisit your forum postings and again draw attention to your car.

Excellent idea!

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
1/6/10 2:42 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Your car is perfect fodder for ebay. You don't know how much to charge so why not see how much people are willing to pay. Whore yourself out around the auto forum world asking the question, "how much do you think this car is worth?" Then about a week later, find you original forum postings and mention that you have put the car on ebay. Take the longest auction time you can get. About halfway through your auction, revisit your forum postings and again draw attention to your car.

Maybe he is doing that right now.

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
1/6/10 2:55 p.m.

You don't mention it, but does this car have WORKING A/C ? If not, it won't fetch much in Florida, except for parts. If I wasn't so tall, I'd also be interested in your car as a "runabout" since I also have a "second" home in Fl. Unfortunately, previous experience with similar Corollas tells me this is NOT a car for folks taller than the average Asian.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/6/10 3:09 p.m.

Mannnnn.... i wish i had the cash right now for that thing.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
1/6/10 3:19 p.m.

Man, that thing rocks. I have a lot of good memories in a single cam Nova that one of my good friends drove throughout high school. Adding a 4AGE to the equation would have made it that much better.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
1/6/10 3:29 p.m.
Rad_Capz wrote:
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Is the car in FL now? My dad wants a fuel sipper to run around Daytona Beach in. Oddly enough they're snowbirds from CT.
Yes, the car's in Delray Beach. If your parents can afford to be snowbirds they can probably afford a nicer car to leave down here.

Not really. Besides, the "cheapness gene" is strong in my family

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
1/6/10 4:06 p.m.

Start some of your whoring over here:
http://www.club4ag.com/
www.mr2oc.com as well but you will have to register.

Others can likely give you other relivent auto forum suggestions

To get to dollar you need national attention like you can get from ebay and forums. Your best money will likely come from the north where cars like these have all but disapeared.

You need the forums whoring to draw attention to the car because as mentioned, the name Nova alone will not bring the right attention.

Of course, chasing this "top dollar" is work. If you enter the ebay forum route you can then have the whole shipping/payment issues and the flakes who dont come through. Also, lets not forget the long written question answers that often seem like wasted time. Considering what time is worth to you, maybe you should just take the local $1k and be done.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz New Reader
1/6/10 5:07 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Start some of your whoring over here: http://www.club4ag.com/ www.mr2oc.com as well but you will have to register. Others can likely give you other relivent auto forum suggestions To get to dollar you need national attention like you can get from ebay and forums. Your best money will likely come from the north where cars like these have all but disapeared. You need the forums whoring to draw attention to the car because as mentioned, the name Nova alone will not bring the right attention. Of course, chasing this "top dollar" is work. If you enter the ebay forum route you can then have the whole shipping/payment issues and the flakes who dont come through. Also, lets not forget the long written question answers that often seem like wasted time. Considering what time is worth to you, maybe you should just take the local $1k and be done.

Thanks for the links, I signed up at 4ag and pasted the first post from this thread.

The car was up north!!! LOL Maybe I should have just left it there. I'd left it at a friends the past year since I moved and had to move it. So I flew up to CT and had the brakes done at a shop because it was cold and snowing plus I had no tools or place to work on it. Then drove it down. Storage is soooo expensive down here unfortunatly I have to sell a few cars. Just no room to keep them. See my readers rides list and you'll see why I have a problem. I'm paying for 3 in storage facilities, thats crazy!

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Reader
1/6/10 5:46 p.m.

In reply to Rad_Capz:

clean car, worth what you can get for it like the others have said, $1500 I think you could get pretty easy

Woody
Woody SuperDork
1/6/10 7:09 p.m.

I'd hit the MR2 forums hard. Some of those guys must have kids.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
1/6/10 7:17 p.m.

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures.
You can not have too many pictures. Take shots of things that do not even seem important. Also, if you do not take a picture you will just end up answering a question about it.
Set up an account over at www.photobucket.com or similar. You can load in a ton of pictures and then just place a link to it in your postings and ads.

Samples from cars that I have sold in the past:
http://s645.photobucket.com/albums/uu176/jrw1621/Thunderbird/
http://rides.webshots.com/album/152690475OkNbSU
http://rides.webshots.com/album/551815806ileqGx
http://rides.webshots.com/album/62818716HhiOfG

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/7/10 9:19 a.m.

Want an MX6 for it?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Reader
1/7/10 9:34 a.m.

Same engine as the FX-16? I had a friend with one of those and it was just fun to fly around in.

I'd consider it if I had any cash.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
1/7/10 9:47 a.m.

too bad you took it all the way down to FL. i loved my FX16 and would really like another 4AG-powered daily beater. this would be perfect, but alas. wrong corner of the country.

the $1250 offer is a fair one, i think.

angliagt
angliagt
7/23/12 10:08 p.m.

Do you still have it?I'm very interested.

- Doug  (707)445-3354
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
roCIE8pg5siOZMYAMgA7JjwCQjK0CNt6SUdBfvYsHUvM9XEIZ377VToFnougygKn