DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
8/7/10 11:42 p.m.

I believe the GRM staff picked the 4-door Si as the winner in this segment. My choices are the 4-door Si and the 1st gen speed3. What does the GRM community think? Mustang is gone so I need a DD.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
8/8/10 7:00 a.m.

Speed3 in white would be my choice.

Tom F
Tom F New Reader
8/8/10 7:03 a.m.

Speed3 would probably be a little bit faster, but long term the Si would probably be more reliable

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
8/8/10 8:05 a.m.

Legacy GT is the darkhorse pick.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/8/10 8:41 a.m.

No loser there. Shop price and personal preference. The MS3 is a blank slate that can easily be turned into a tire melting freight train. The Si is a little more sophisticated, but also a little less visceral as a result. And you'll never get the power or the cargo room) from the Si you will from the Mazda.

Drive 'em both, buy the one you like the best. You can't go wrong.

jg

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
8/8/10 8:47 a.m.

I think the Mazda is better looking, and way easier to make it really really quick.

But the Honda is a Honda. Which means in 10 years when you sell it it will still be worth like $14K. And it will run forever.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
8/8/10 11:38 a.m.

I just picked up a 2g Speed3, great car.

Quick, handles reasonably for a fwd with obscene amounts of tq. It's the perfect DD for me.

The Si didn't "do" anything for me.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
8/8/10 2:43 p.m.

I have a car to that I can make go fast. Looking for a spunky dd with decent MPGs and a lil more space than the stang. Going to look at both tomorrow. Also gonna check out a mint Ep3 si.

EP3CivicSi
EP3CivicSi New Reader
8/8/10 3:34 p.m.

EP3 si is nice for a daily if thats all your looking for. In my stock ep average high 20's in mixed driving all day. Highway is around 32 on long trips. Some don't call its performance "spunky" but you cant really call it underpowered either. If its un modded 04-05 with decent miles it will be a seriously nice buy for the money if they are not asking something retarded. The 4dr si is a pretty refined package and definatly a little more sporty in feel. The tq of the speed3 will out of the cars your looking out probably match the feel of your mustang the most. All are great cars. def no losers.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
8/8/10 7:32 p.m.

great insight man. going to look at all three tomorrow. test drive all three, then make a decision i suppose.

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
8/8/10 7:59 p.m.

just another one for your consideration: 08 wrx....they go cheap because they didn't have the "rallycar" looks of the 07 and before, but they didn't get the power/looks upgrade of the 09+. Could probably get one for similar price to a 1G MS3 or 8th gen Si and there's nothing wrong with them that bigger swaybars and better tires can't fix.

THey're actually listing cheaper than 06-07 wrx's, even though they're newer and better cars.....

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
8/8/10 8:07 p.m.

haha you're right but the only ones i can find are 1000 and 2000 miles away from where i live.

MA$$hole
MA$$hole New Reader
8/8/10 8:15 p.m.

As an owner of an 08 MS3, if you want power & handling & something that will surprise folks than go for it. If you want something subtle, still quick, better on gas than the Si is it.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
8/8/10 8:23 p.m.

well tomorrow i could have either one of the three. i'll keep ya posted.

EP3CivicSi
EP3CivicSi New Reader
8/11/10 11:21 a.m.

any decision?

therex
therex SuperDork
8/11/10 12:04 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: well tomorrow i could have either one of the three. i'll keep ya posted.

I'm probably too late, but if you're looking for better fuel economy, I don't think you'll find it in a Speed3.

It was one of my larger complaints about the MS3, not that I bought it to be an economy car or anything. But over a year I averaged 23MPG. That's not really all that good. :-/

Fast though. Yes, quite.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
81LIAD08KL3NGIXTiidTKqfwmXBU2Jzcj1TEgwtIqbLhJvHZlkEJfb7fDHQCGcmR