Antihero
Antihero Reader
12/2/16 5:10 p.m.

Anyone got any experience with these? It apparently has some off electrical gremlins such as the power door locks are causing the igntion to turn off. I haven't checked it out in person so I'm not sure what's up.

Anyone have or worked on this?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
12/2/16 5:16 p.m.

This is a '90-'93 Imperial.

This is an '81- '83 Imperial.
Do you mean this instead?

Antihero
Antihero Reader
12/2/16 5:34 p.m.

Definitely the 90 to 93

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
12/2/16 5:35 p.m.

A 90's Imperial is just a gussied up K car. An 80's Imperial is a pretty weird gussied up Cordoba thing with EFI on a 360...

Antihero
Antihero Reader
12/2/16 5:40 p.m.

I'm not gonna buy it, I'm just helping someone fix it as a favor.

Stampie
Stampie Dork
12/2/16 6:18 p.m.

I'll WAG it as body ground issue either the battery or engine.

underpowered
underpowered New Reader
12/2/16 6:19 p.m.

In reply to Antihero:

Factory "Anti-theft" system. It runs for a couple seconds then shuts off, right? Unlock the drivers door with the key. The car is supposed to see it's been unlocked and not think it's being stolen.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
12/2/16 10:33 p.m.

Saw my hero neil Armstrong at Kroger's once in Cincinnati in the late 90's. I noticed he got into one of these cars when he left. I think he was on the Board at Chrysler at the time.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
12/3/16 8:23 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: An 80's Imperial is a pretty weird gussied up Cordoba thing with EFI on a 360...

The ones I've looked at had a 318. A 360 would have made it more desirable.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/3/16 10:52 a.m.

I own a dynasty which is electrically the exact same thing. But, you havent been very specific about the actual symptoms (emphasis on plural since you suggested there was more than one) here, so list off anything and everything that has any chance of being interrelated before anyone tries to diagnose something that could just be a side effect of something else.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
12/3/16 11:55 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
Streetwiseguy wrote: An 80's Imperial is a pretty weird gussied up Cordoba thing with EFI on a 360...

I spent a while deciding whether I wanted to google that. My first thought was 318, but I gave Chrysler the benefit of the doubt, since it was their A number one super deluxe crowd pleaser.

Antihero
Antihero Reader
12/3/16 3:29 p.m.
Vigo wrote: I own a dynasty which is electrically the exact same thing. But, you havent been very specific about the actual symptoms (emphasis on plural since you suggested there was more than one) here, so list off anything and everything that has any chance of being interrelated before anyone tries to diagnose something that could just be a side effect of something else.

I'm being a bit vague, sorry. I'm getting most the info 3rd hand and only had a few moments to look at it. Here's what I've gleaned so far:

The entire glove box area has been removed and someone has been screwing around with the modules underneath. There are a few plugs disconnected and a module that is unmarked over the transmission hump that is disconnected. I'm told the car ran like this before.

The electrical gremlins seem to be rooted in the power door lock system. Apparently with the car idling it's possible to turn off the car by hitting the power door lock

It wasn't possible to jump without disconnecting the battery first, it would crank and never fire before hand

It would run perfectly then suddenly run terribly then back to running good without anything touched or looked at.

Power door lock thing is off and I'm sort of assuming a broken wire arcing somewhere is the culprit. Never thought about the anti theft system , that's a great idea

pres589
pres589 UberDork
12/3/16 4:12 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
spitfirebill wrote:
... I gave Chrysler the benefit of the doubt, since it was their A number one super deluxe crowd pleaser.

They should have tried harder.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar UltraDork
12/3/16 9:13 p.m.
pres589 wrote:
Streetwiseguy wrote:
spitfirebill wrote:
... I gave Chrysler the benefit of the doubt, since it was their A number one super deluxe crowd pleaser.
They should have tried harder.

They did the best with what they had to work with at the time. The EFI system was neat, but flawed. They recalled them and converted most of them back to a 2bbl. They got the EFI sorted out for the Turbo 2.2 cars.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar UltraDork
12/3/16 9:17 p.m.

In reply to Antihero:

Before digging in too far check the rear axle. The ones in these parts rot out and good used ones just don't exist. I think it's at the spring perch. It would suck to sort out electrical gremlins to have the rear collapse.

Antihero
Antihero Reader
12/4/16 2:52 p.m.

Rob_Mopar wrote:

In reply to Antihero:

Before digging in too far check the rear axle. The ones in these parts rot out and good used ones just don't exist. I think it's at the spring perch. It would suck to sort out electrical gremlins to have the rear collapse.

Will do, thanks

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/5/16 9:28 a.m.

That rear axle is the same from any ac/ay body which is 88-93 Dynasty/newyorker/imperial. I know here in South Texas i could find one easily and the only reason i don't have 2 just sitting in my yard is because they're for the other body styles which are just slightly different. Round vs oval bushing..

Anywho, it sounds like the wiring is no longer stock on this Imperial so it would be very difficult to diagnose without knowing exactly what was changed. I would venture a guess that something was causing it to blow the ignition fuse, so they rerouted ignition power to use the power lock circuit which is a self-resetting circuit breaker, so at least it would turn back on without swapping fuses. When you hit the locks the total current flow is tripping the breaker momentarily, and then it probably cranks right back up when the breaker resets itself. Just a guess.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HEb7i11Tf3pZSacMcbuiD9zu1I97xcPmOjZN6QkoQEhvULe2CKGOt8YhqZUNj8Rh