conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
1/30/13 9:56 p.m.

Looked at a clean 91 Mercede 300TE (gas, wagon) tonight. Owner says it has been losing power progressively over he past few weeks. Ad states, in part: "I bought it and put a new water pump in, new OVP relay, new K&N air filter, transmission filter, plugs, cap/rotor button, fuel filter. Car won't go over 45 mph." I don' tthink it will exceed 35, actually. It starts (with difficulty) and runs. ABS light is on, and cold idle is not smooth, pointing toward the OVP relay, but that did not cure the problem. Idles fine after a minute or so and trans shifts normally. Running and in neutral it starts missing around 2700 rpm and will not rev past 3000. Feels like a fuel delivery problem to me. The timing chain is noisy but I don't think it's jumped time as it is hitting on all six. Owner has a receipt for full exhaust 2 yrs ago so I don't think its a bad cat. I'd like another wagon in my driveway and am looking for ideas about what might ail this one. Interior is near mint, paint is good and It could be had cheap; might be worth a fix if cost effective. Ideas?

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UltraDork
1/30/13 10:04 p.m.

I was going to guess clogged cat.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
1/30/13 10:07 p.m.

Vacuum gauge.

duetto_67
duetto_67 New Reader
1/30/13 10:57 p.m.

compression?

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
1/30/13 11:26 p.m.

I had the exact problem with an Evo and it turned out to be a fuel pump on it's way out. Wouldn't rev over 3000rpm under boost and would barely go over that if you really light footed it. I pulled the fuel feed to the rail and jumped the fuel pump, it took way way too long to fill the bucket.

If only I would have checked the fuel pressure at the rail I could have saved a lot of time. I'm not familiar with the 300TE injection, is it easy to hook up a fuel pressure gauge?

Wally
Wally UltimaDork
1/30/13 11:54 p.m.

It wishes it were a diesel?

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
1/31/13 9:00 a.m.

Similar to the issue I had on my W126. Replace both fuel pumps, and the fuel pump relay just to be safe. It's POSSIBLE that it's the EZL but start with the fuel pumps.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
1/31/13 4:29 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestions.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9OiEre8ZaYCw39G98w8Y6YlnqLsRpbCsNIrIt7fHQrodq0lTcVp0szlASESxyOH0