1 2
yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
6/10/14 5:27 p.m.
docwyte wrote: Dunno about that, when I bought my LS1 about 4 years ago I paid the same. Guess the prices just haven't dropped, but that's not surprising. Lots of demand...

A decade ago you could get an LS1 long block for $450. Complete with wiring, ecu, t56 for around $1200......the "Hey bruh, let's put an lsx in it" crowd has killed that option by the sound of it. Kinda like the price spike with the s54 due to the spec racers swapping them into e30/36 cars.

D_Eclipse9916
D_Eclipse9916 New Reader
6/11/14 7:59 a.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: In reply to D_Eclipse9916: It looks really good. Do you have a build thread on it? How do you like the swap compared to adding a turbo or a supercharger(unlikely for me) to the S52?

Real torque, fits in engine bay extremely well. Reliability, and I have gone the turbocharging/supercharging route before. Not nearly as fun, nor as cool noises. Plus cramped engine bay, dealing with overheating etc etc.

LS1/T56 typically go for 2500-3500 for a T56/LS1 combo. You can find cheaper (and I am sure someone will chime in they got it in trade for bubble gum and a lifesavers wrapper).

Then its all the material for mounts. Piping for exhaust/headers/steering rack. (alone I spent over $1200 on the exhaust).

Decent M3 for 5-10k + LS1/t56 (get back ~2k for s52/trans), mounts/headers/exhaust, ECU needs to be tuned, AN fitting lines/fuel filter/regulator, power steering fittings, intake piping/MAF/couplers/filter, LS6 intake manifold, Improved Racing Oil Pan Baffle, Tick Cam/pushrods/retainers, new plugs/wires, radiator, coolant hoses, euro coolant tank, miscellaneous supplies for fuses/relays/wiring, custom driveshaft, welding supplies for exhaust, short shift kit, and in my case, Forgelines, new tires, Ohlins/H+R springs, alignment, E46 M3 seats

Everybody always goes, hey cost of engine is XX, and a couple other supplies. It's all the small things that add up. Even on this forum I see it ALL the time where people dive in too deep and realize all the small things run their projects overbudget and behind on time.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/11/14 8:31 a.m.
D_Eclipse9916 wrote: Everybody always goes, hey cost of engine is XX, and a couple other supplies. It's all the small things that add up. Even on this forum I see it ALL the time where people dive in too deep and realize all the small things run their projects overbudget and behind on time.

That is certainly true - death is in the details but the cost IS in the chassis, engine and trans for the most part. There are expected $$$ in fittings, hoses, cooling and raw materials but the rest, you can typically trade fabrication time for cost. I was asking how you got to $18k because I was wondering if you went with aftermarket ECU, bought all of Vorshlag's kits, etc. (and if they were worth the trade-off).

My initial breakdown was:
- shell: $1-2k
- engine/trans: $3.5k
- cooling (oil + water): $1k
- exhaust: $1k
- driveline fab/balancing: $500
- flywheel/clutch: $1k
- cage steel: $500
- Miscellaneous: $5k

I wasn't saying it was out of line - just that it was unexpectedly high. I was thinking I could be in under $14k even budgeting pretty well for the unexpected. You valued the M3 at $5-10k so there is a good chunk of the difference right there. I just picked up an R titled '98 M3 roller for $1200 (which loses the offset sale of the motor/trans so there is that...).

In any case - I wasn't attacking your price, I was trying to accurately account an estimate for myself. One thing I might not have on my sheet... did you retain the stock diff and axles or is something more required back there? Is there a $3500 nut for a stronger diff I need to think about? I have had as much as 370 ft/lbs into a stock E36 M3 rear without issue but I wonder where the limit actually is.

D_Eclipse9916
D_Eclipse9916 New Reader
6/11/14 9:07 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
D_Eclipse9916 wrote: Everybody always goes, hey cost of engine is XX, and a couple other supplies. It's all the small things that add up. Even on this forum I see it ALL the time where people dive in too deep and realize all the small things run their projects overbudget and behind on time.
That is certainly true - death is in the details but the cost IS in the chassis, engine and trans for the most part. There are expected $$$ in fittings, hoses, cooling and raw materials but the rest, you can typically trade fabrication time for cost. I was asking how you got to $18k because I was wondering if you went with aftermarket ECU, bought all of Vorshlag's kits, etc. (and if they were worth the trade-off). My initial breakdown was: - shell: $1-2k - engine/trans: $3.5k - cooling (oil + water): $1k - exhaust: $1k - driveline fab/balancing: $500 - flywheel/clutch: $1k - cage steel: $500 - Miscellaneous: $5k I wasn't saying it was out of line - just that it was unexpectedly high. I was thinking I could be in under $14k even budgeting pretty well for the unexpected. You valued the M3 at $5-10k so there is a good chunk of the difference right there. I just picked up an R titled '98 M3 roller for $1200 (which loses the offset sale of the motor/trans so there is that...). In any case - I wasn't attacking your price, I was trying to accurately account an estimate for myself. One thing I might not have on my sheet... did you retain the stock diff and axles or is something more required back there? Is there a $3500 nut for a stronger diff I need to think about? I have had as much as 370 ft/lbs into a stock E36 M3 rear without issue but I wonder where the limit actually is.

PMed you, yes you can get it done for your cost (and les), just depends on what wheeling and dealing you do and what fun pieces you add ;) Good luck with the project. It is definitely fun.

No issues with axles/diff as long as it is from an M3 (stronger than 325i). I put a 3.91 LSD rear end though in mine which I think is great for gearing.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
6/11/14 9:25 a.m.

In reply to D_Eclipse9916:

A lot of drivers like naturally aspirated power over boosted power. But yeah, that's a long list of parts, and I'm finding out about small things inflate the budget on my car now.

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
6/11/14 10:12 a.m.

Ill play the bad idea fairy here:

Why not split the difference and LS swap a 911?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lp0jFlDT0WNfyl067wfgTQBHzuSG84XAQRyD8WKrGscpzszihiMHY7lo9eBP6dyg