1 2 3
Lof8
Lof8 Dork
6/19/18 8:28 a.m.

Sweet deal!  Post some driving impressions/comparisons to the M3 after you have a chance to feel it out. 

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
6/19/18 9:13 a.m.

Very cool. I have a standing cl search in my area for cheap boxsters, but haven't caught any fish yet.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
6/19/18 9:30 a.m.
Patrick said:

You sell to me for $3000

I think he should sell it to me for $2018 so I can take it to the challenge. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
6/19/18 12:09 p.m.

So are we at the point with Boxsters that we were with 914s 20 year ago? Unloved, unwanted, and cheap to buy? Because $2,500 is a deal.

Tyler H
Tyler H UltraDork
6/19/18 3:04 p.m.

Base 996/986 parts are cheaper than you might think if you shop around.  They made a lot of them and most of their owners don't DIY.  The ones that do upgrade, usually with OE optional parts.  That means that base model parts in excellent shape are easy to find...like low mileage seats and carpets for not much more than it will cost to have those doctored up.  

If you decide to tackle the IMS, I have a comprehensive set of service tools all packaged up in a Pelican case and available for rent.  IMS Pro Tools kit, IMS Faultless Tools kit, timing tools and crank lock, and RMS driver.

Nice score!  Good luck with it!

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
6/19/18 4:55 p.m.

I’ve seen them around the NE for 6-8k but it may be getting to a place where buying a wrecked car and selling off the parts may be profitable. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
6/19/18 5:28 p.m.

In reply to Tyler H :

I will keep that in mind, thanks!  

It has a current oil change sticker, I am thinking of doing an oil analysis when I get around to changing the oil.  I figure if it made it 150k, the ims is probably already been replaced or is fine.  Doesn't it effect cars with low mileage that are not driven more?

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
6/27/18 1:05 p.m.

Seats are back from the upholstery shop.  I am going to install them tonight.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/27/18 1:13 p.m.

Creepers you are hard pressed to get a NA 944 for even close to that shape for that money these days.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/27/18 1:15 p.m.
Tyler H
Tyler H UltraDork
6/28/18 10:51 a.m.
pimpm3 said:

In reply to Tyler H :

I will keep that in mind, thanks!  

It has a current oil change sticker, I am thinking of doing an oil analysis when I get around to changing the oil.  I figure if it made it 150k, the ims is probably already been replaced or is fine.  Doesn't it effect cars with low mileage that are not driven more?

Oil analysis is a good idea, but rarely shows a failing bearing. (Shedding bearing particulates are too big to be dissolved and don't show up in UOA.)  I'd recommend dropping the sump plate at the first oil change and just having a peek for sparkly bits.  Then replace with a magnetic drain plug and a LN Engineering screw-on oil filter adapter.  The stock canister filter allows oil to bypass above ~4bar.  The LN kit uses a Napa Gold no-bypass filter, that way any shedding material is caught and you can cut the filter to inspect at oil changes.

Given the low buy-in, I'd roll the dice on the IMSB, or save it for a winter project or for when a clutch is due.  If you can DIY, replacing the IMS bearing is practically free,* given the increased resale value.

*Free IMSB offer pending a $zero/hr evaluation of your time and complete disregard for your knuckle skin.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
6/28/18 12:26 p.m.

That's the plan.  I have a PCA autocross Saturday for its 1st outing.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
6/28/18 12:37 p.m.

Are you happy with the seats?

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
6/28/18 6:56 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

Yes, for the price.  I declined to have the upper centers redone and the originals are a little shrunken from the sun, but overall the seats came out decent.

I got  them installed yesterday.

I also swapped out the ripped steering wheel, installed the new shift boot and threw in the new mats.  While i was in the car I also fixed the AC panel LCD.

Not a bad place to spend time, especially considering it is a $3000 Porsche...

Dirtydog
Dirtydog HalfDork
6/28/18 8:51 p.m.

Considering what $3000 buys you today, I'd say you've done well.   Drive, flog, and enjoy!  

Tyler H
Tyler H UltraDork
6/29/18 8:39 a.m.

Already looks a billion times better.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
6/29/18 9:03 a.m.

In other news my neighbor, who happens to own 5 porsches, gave me a bunch of parts he recently removed from his 2009 911, including a set of 18 inch wheels.  I offered him some money but he said he was happy to have the storage space back.

I plan to throw the wheels on tonight.  They are in fine shape and have pilot super sports with at least 50% tread mounted to them...  I had to order extended wheel studs and wheel spacers this week to mount them up. They should be here tonight.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
6/29/18 9:25 a.m.

This is looking great!  Good work on that interior.  

What size phone dials are you going to put on it?

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
6/29/18 9:26 a.m.

Car looks great! I’d say you owe your neighbor a couple of cases of good beer, and you never get to complain if he takes too long to return your lawnmower when he borrows it!

Tyler H
Tyler H UltraDork
6/29/18 9:43 a.m.
pimpm3 said:

In other news my neighbor, who happens to own 5 porsches, gave me a bunch of parts he recently removed from his 2009 911, including a set of 18 inch wheels.  I offered him some money but he said he was happy to have the storage space back.

I plan to throw the wheels on tonight.  They are in fine shape and have pilot super sports with at least 50% tread mounted to them...  I had to order extended wheel studs and wheel spacers this week to mount them up. They should be here tonight.

That may be a $3000 car, but clearly not a $3000-car-neighborhood.  Love thy neighbor.  For that price, you can afford a set of genuine center caps. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
6/29/18 9:43 a.m.

I told him to plan on driving it at the next track day, hopefully he will take me up on the offer.

He surprisingly has never done one despite owning a 2015 GT3, a 2004 911 Turbo convertible, a 2009 Carrera, and a 2012 911 Turbo.  He just likes the different experiences each car provides.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
6/29/18 9:47 a.m.

That GT3, be still my beating heart.

Tyler H
Tyler H UltraDork
6/29/18 9:50 a.m.

Boxster Outta the Hood Rescue Program:  successful.

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
6/29/18 9:55 a.m.

He has a G-Wagon too. Damn I wish that was my neighbor!

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
6/29/18 9:59 a.m.

I’ll amend my earlier comment: Your neighbor clearly doesn’t need to borrow a lawnmower. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
epcfzQUvGMwy3TjrwtFtjaWgyW3UnuoVojNEqdx5vz9sIi3VjJl3yxTbXVUgzlxh