1 2 3
dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
10/4/13 3:36 p.m.

This holds up as an epic score. I've been shopping for one ever since this thread started and haven't seen one near me even close to $10k, much less below.

mbmsg
mbmsg New Reader
9/17/14 8:01 p.m.

Let me bring this back a year later, going to look at a cts v with 65k on the clock it's 04 on Friday.looks like its been maintained buts it a 10 yr old car. Anything I should be looking for? Examples-Noises from this area or that area meaning it probably needs xyz, or if it doesn't shift this way it's because the xyz isin need of service. I don't keep a backlog of my old magazine copies, anywhere I could read the grm buyers guide on the cts-v

Flat_Black13z
Flat_Black13z New Reader
9/17/14 8:12 p.m.

Even my nationwide auction guide says you did well. 164k on a 04 ctsv does 6400.

Realizing this thread is from the dead, my info is still derived from last weeks sales

Dav
Dav Reader
9/17/14 8:26 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Now if only G8 GXPs would do the same... jg

I wonder if that might still be awhile.

A guy whose inlaws live in my neighborhood stopped by a month ago and asked, "how do you like your new G8 GT?" I asked him what he meant. He said he never noticed it before--I told him we bought it new in 2009 at the Pontiac fire sale and kept it in the garage when not being driven. He then asked, "how much?" I told him $28K OTD--and that we almost bought a GXP for ~$38K, but my wife didn't want a red car. He kinda got a glum look on his face and I asked him why.

The reason he stopped was because HE had just bought a used GXP--and paid something like $35K... .

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
9/17/14 8:37 p.m.

That is awesome. Congrats! I was very seriously considering getting a V, in fact, I probably would have ended up with one if not for my wife (who extended the budget enough for my M5).

I found that there was a pretty significant difference in prices between model years, what made you pick that one?

EDIT: Nevermind, found where you said you got it for $5k. That is even more awesomer.

Will
Will SuperDork
9/18/14 9:00 a.m.
mbmsg wrote: Let me bring this back a year later, going to look at a cts v with 65k on the clock it's 04 on Friday.looks like its been maintained buts it a 10 yr old car. Anything I should be looking for?

The rearend clunk is the biggest single issue, but not the only one. The plastic end tanks on the radiator are known to crack, so look for leaks and ask whether it's been replaced. Check all the interior buttons for paint flaking off of them. Check the shifter for slop, and whether the car pops out of sixth gear while driving. Feel and listen for a rough idle and noises that could be a broken motor mount. Bring up the oil temp gauge in via the steering wheel buttons--sometimes the sensor becomes convinced that the oil temp is maxed out, even though it's perfectly fine. Make sure the trunk struts actually pop the trunklid open completely--they lose their charge after a while, and you don't want a Caddy-sized decklid falling down on your head while unloading the car.

I drove one for a couple years and had problems with all of those things.

Harvey
Harvey Reader
9/18/14 10:20 a.m.

Kinda curious to hear the OP's update on his buy.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge New Reader
9/18/14 12:14 p.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/update-on-my-cheap-high-mileage-2004-cts-v/90073/page1/

Harvey
Harvey Reader
9/18/14 12:34 p.m.

Thanks!

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
9/18/14 7:18 p.m.

I have no particular attraction to a 1st gen CTS-V but at that price i would have probably tried to buy that thing anyway! It probably wouldnt have gotten past SWMBO (although i did spend 4k on an old Caravan so maybe it WOULD have?!) but i would have tried.

That's an awesome price for how much car that is. I typically try to buy at the BOTTOM of the depreciation curve and for cars that will never really depreciate to scrap value, my anecdotal evidence seems to point to that sweet spot being ~220k miles. I've bought a LOT of cars right around ~220k, and i've never had anything happen that made me regret any of it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T09GgC2tvzWZeaSMMi9R7v3BA3B3Javm7SN3FOx25lu5HLLefQghKLeLs5nY7cZs