Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/17/20 10:26 a.m.

I'm kind of a wiring nerd so I tend to be picky on my electrical tools. I had bought a set of Vought Aircraft Company surplus wire strippers 29 years ago. I paid a buck for them and have used them happily in countless jobs and projects since then. But, lately I had noticed they just don't seem to work as well as they used to.

So I started researching the best wire strippers on the market. Most guys recommended Ideal brand strippers. Well, mine are Ideal brand, so I was set to just buy a new pair like these. Then I read that the cutting jaws are considered a serviceable part and can be replaced. Sure enough. So I ordered a pair of new jaws for them

But first, install heat shrink tubing on the bare handles. Most all of my pliers are Knipex or SnapOn and have red handles, might as well make these match.

New cutting jaws.

I'm optimistic that they will serve me a further 29 years now. Statistically, that is the rest of my life.

I know, goofy post. This staying cooped up all day is making me do goofy stuff. Today I plan to clean and paint my jackstands.

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/17/20 10:39 a.m.

Thanks for sharing that, Cuz. That's cool, not goofy. I'll bet you feel better after improving a little corner of your world, and maybe you will motivate more of us to get up and go make something better.

The0retical (Forum Supporter)
The0retical (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/17/20 1:03 p.m.

I have a set of Klein Katapults that I used when I was doing MRO work. I would never consider going back to the traditional plier type again.

It's probably time to replace my jaws too...

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/17/20 1:24 p.m.

I have some nearly identical looking wife strippers that I love. I should go see if they need new cutting jaws!

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
4/17/20 1:27 p.m.

Cool.  I could use a good set of wire strippers.  Can I get Imperial on Amazon?  I have a gift card for them...

4/17/20 1:29 p.m.
The0retical (Forum Supporter) said:

I have a set of Klein Katapults that I used when I was doing MRO work. I would never consider going back to the traditional plier type again.

It's probably time to replace my jaws too...

I had to go and look those up. They appear to use the same jaws. Actually Klein jaws are a couple of bucks cheaper than Ideal but they look identical. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/17/20 1:51 p.m.
dculberson (Forum Supporter) said:

I have some nearly identical looking wife strippers that I love. I should go see if they need new cutting jaws!

Wife strippers! Now you're talkin!

4/17/20 3:40 p.m.
dculberson (Forum Supporter) said:

I posted pictures of mine, now you'll need to post pictures of your wife strippers.I think I speak for most everybody on here when I say we'd like to see them.

4/17/20 3:43 p.m.
docwyte said:

Cool.  I could use a good set of wire strippers.  Can I get Imperial on Amazon?  I have a gift card for them...

I zoned out in my earlier post. I meant to say "Ideal" brand not "Imperial". I've been doing too much tool shopping lately and it's all running together. Sorry about that. Here is a link at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Ideal-Industries-Stripmaster-Wire-Stripper/dp/B000RFSWF8/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=ideal+wire+strippers&qid=1587156106&sr=8-5

4/17/20 3:46 p.m.

If anyone is curious, here is a 5 second video that my wife took showing them in operation.

Click on the picture...

She's not too great with the camera but you get the point.

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/27/21 6:12 a.m.

I've been using an Ideal brand wire stripper since the early '90s. I have 3 or 4 plier type WSers , but the Ideal tool is usually my go-to wire stripper (the exception being cramped work space such as under a dash).
Anyway, thanks for the write-up.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
3/27/21 6:35 a.m.

I miss Cousin Eddie projects. It's a shame he was irritated enough about (flounder events)  that he logged off permanently. 

Hope he got to take the long ride on his gold wing. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C0L2T3jW6eBTRAdMKQ0fCN9wZDnYoaibe9StgmtGgIBAKIgwNWsT5Hy5DrWk54L3