KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
2/10/19 9:40 a.m.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1020469221497322/

it’s a drag car but i’d Think with some different shocks and 17x10” wheels all around.......  Thoughts?  The “half poured” block concerns me for cooling purposes.  Is it too far down the drag road to ever be taught to turn again?

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo New Reader
2/10/19 6:48 p.m.

I'd spend the extra and go for this if I was looking for a 4th gen;

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/rodeo-1994-camaro-z28-1le/6809573132.html

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
2/10/19 7:53 p.m.

Block was acid dipped?  WTF does that mean?

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/10/19 8:21 p.m.

no.....half filled with grout /cement......yeah it's a drag thing..

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
2/10/19 8:27 p.m.

I got that filled thing.  Understood.  But right above that it says it was “acid dipped”.  

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/10/19 8:29 p.m.

body panels.....paper thin=weight reduction.....back in the day, Soxn'Martin , Grumpy Jenkins  and the early pre pro stock kats would do this....lean to hard and the panel was rumpled.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/10/19 8:35 p.m.

How the hell do you acid dip a plastic body?!?

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/10/19 8:38 p.m.

perhaps the unibody is dipped also as this was done back in the day too...........

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
2/10/19 8:39 p.m.

Third line from the bottom...

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
2/10/19 8:45 p.m.

I'm with Pontiacstogo... That seems like quite a deal for someone wanting to CAM it up.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
2/10/19 8:51 p.m.

Well, I texted the seller and apparently the “half filled” block does cause it to run hot and not happy with running for very long. Apparently it’s an irredeemable drag car now without an engine swap.

Unless I can sell the engine for more and buy a more stock motor.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
2/10/19 9:03 p.m.

Block fill is certainly drag race only. My friends 408 Windsor will overheat after 15-20 minutes of run time at more then idle. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
2/10/19 10:21 p.m.

That 1LE car is far more tempting to me.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
2/11/19 5:03 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

Block was acid dipped?  WTF does that mean?

Usually done to clean up the block, and especially water jackets.  Probably done in preparation for the block fill in this instance.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/11/19 6:50 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

I got that filled thing.  Understood.  But right above that it says it was “acid dipped”.  

It's part of the cleaning process on an engine block that you have to do before doing a Hard Blok fill.  You need to remove ALL of the scale from the water jackets.

My gut feeling is that it is redundant verbiage (engine was bored, AND honed!) but it occurs to me that some people might skip that step...

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/11/19 6:54 a.m.
dropstep said:

Block fill is certainly drag race only. My friends 408 Windsor will overheat after 15-20 minutes of run time at more then idle. 

Depends entirely on the engine and the amount of fill.  Filled Buick V6s have no problem.

On engines with blind head bolt holes, you do need to make sure that you don't get the fill so high that it comes close to or even contacts the bosses... that will basically stop up coolant flow.  Most "streetable" setups fill to the bottom of the core plugs or so.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
2/11/19 6:57 a.m.

Does it have an oil cooler?  Wonder if a heavy duty one would help enough it could be a dedicated autocross car. 

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
2/11/19 2:55 p.m.
Knurled. said:
A 401 CJ said:

It's part of the cleaning process on an engine block that you have to do before doing a Hard Blok fill.  You need to remove ALL of the scale from the water jackets.

My gut feeling is that it is redundant verbiage (engine was bored, AND honed!) but it occurs to me that some people might skip that step...

We got both kinds! Country, and Western!

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
2/12/19 1:57 p.m.

Food for thought, if you don't care about being quick in Cam C, run whatever. But if you want a semblance of being competitive buy an S550 or 6th gen Camaro. And really the Camaro is the car to have. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8LZLrYRRHEMgUgZMnx7ZzIHJvMxF5LYjBrMzOdpDLKgn7in93dCb8cQb0F9i4y9B