The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
6/11/21 10:45 a.m.

Many people race Lemons for the cheap track time, others in an earnest attempt to win, and some as an excuse to build a silly car. Texas-based team Nader H8Rs probably falls (at least in part) into all three categories, but when you’re racing a Subaru WRX-powered Corvair, there’s a bit …

Read the rest of the story

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/11/21 11:04 a.m.

This makes so much sense. There are a bunch of guys who are all about mid-engined V8 Corvairs, but the engine ends up practically pressed into the drivers back -  it's loud, hot, and not much fun to drive.  Whereas sicking something more compact in there with a proper transaxle makes sense. Kudos!

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
6/12/21 12:17 p.m.

Corvair transaxles are improper? devil

mspeedP5
mspeedP5 New Reader
6/12/21 6:28 p.m.

Total Awesomeness!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/12/21 9:56 p.m.
RichardSIA said:

Corvair transaxles are improper? devil

Yes, they are strangely fragile when you bolt an engine with triple the torque  to an un modified one....

They are surprisingly strong when you put a 4 spider setup in them.  The trans (66+) was a Saginaw that is very similar to the full size car version.

I find the engine swap interesting, and it was one of convenience.  Dropping a FWD drivetrain in the back seat is a good way to go.  I happen to know a Speed 3 has almost the exact wheel track as a late Corvair...

noddaz
noddaz UberDork
6/14/21 7:15 a.m.

Nice to see a Corvair racing.

Just speculating of course, but here I go.

Pull the high beams and front turn signals out, vent the hood and move the radiator to the front.

Put a scoop on the rear engine air vents at the base of the back glass.  Move the intercooler towards that air vent and remove the back up light assembly to let air out of the engine bay area

No one asked but I gave my opinion anyway.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
6/14/21 10:53 a.m.

If the radiator is moved to the front a second electric water pump may be needed. Water has to flow all the way around. Single stock pump might not handle that well.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/14/21 12:11 p.m.

Rear mounted radiators (even condensers) have always been an issue with Corvair engine conversions.  Not sure the water pump pressure is an issue, I don't think that is normally a thing with a V8 conversion.  Front mounted radiators / condensers are certainly the best option.

The removal of the rear glass is probably a good idea.  Remove the rear side windows and use them as intakes.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
6/14/21 12:23 p.m.

Just graft the front end of a Corvair on to a Tesla, that would be an improvement.

AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
6/15/21 4:28 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

If you use a modern transaxle like a Cayman S there's tons of leg room.  Like my 68 with a Cayman S trans and 2016 LT1

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/15/21 4:41 p.m.

In reply to AutoXR :

Wait, that's yours? surprise Wow, beautiful piece of work. I'm very jealous. On the Corvair forums most people seem to want to go the Crown route. which makes little sense to me.

My dream is to restomod one via a Porsche or converted Subbie transmission fed by a LFX in the rear like god intended.  

AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
6/17/21 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

It is indeed mine.  I looked at Crown but the fragility of the transmission combined with the leg room drove me away.  Others have successfully used C5 vette transqxles, but again leg room issues.  My father has this one.   930 trans, LS1 from an 03 vette, going on 13 years without issue. 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
8/25/21 1:49 a.m.

In reply to The Staff of Motorsport Marketing :

i have always loved Corvairs from the 1965  model to the last.... beautiful lines ;;; quick fact.. old godzilla movies from the eary 60's  the car godzill steps on??? little model corvairs

gzuckier
gzuckier
6/4/22 4:24 p.m.

In reply to noddaz :

Base of the rear window is often used as an air intake for various radiator-into-the-trunk conversions, Corvair or other, and it never works, because that area is probably at lower than atmospheric pressure. Better off with one of those air intakes that reaches up over the roof, but then you have to deal with rear visibility.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/4/22 6:24 p.m.

Of note is that the base of the rear window is used for ALL the cooling air intake in a stock late model Corvair.  Early models used leuvers in the engine lid.  I am a bit suspicious the GM engineers would put the intake in a low pressure area. 

If you want the highest pressure area, maybe not ideal, but lower than atmospheric seems unlikely.

If you want the same airflow as a front mounted radiator, that isn't going to happen.  A rear mounted radiator would also need to be heavily and tightly shrouded and of course heavy on fans, no mater where the intake is and it still will not likely work that well.

Cyclone03
Cyclone03
6/5/22 8:14 p.m.

Having just looked over 2 vintage racing Corvairs yesterday , both "stock",they have the engine cover vents modified to open scoops. They also run a modified fan set up to pull air around the cylinders.

If the radiator is moved forward with exhaust tubing,1 3/4 on the suction side 1 1/2 on the return (to radiator) the steel tubing will act like a radiator ,I suspect the stock radiator would do the job.

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
6/5/22 8:18 p.m.

In reply to AutoXR :

Uh....more info. You can't just tease us with that and no more pictures, or website, or something. Inquiring minds want to know.

Has anyone done a front LS/rear Corvette transaxle swap into a Corvair? Or is this there simply not enough room to put a V8 up front, regardless of where the trans is?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/6/22 9:21 a.m.

I have certainly seen front engined V8 Corvairs, but the are usually drag cars.  Years ago someone in Northern California put a Jag V12 in the front of a street driven car, so it's certainly doable.  One needed change will be moving the gas tank since it sits at the rear of the trunk in stock form.

I think this is the car?:

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/6/22 9:34 a.m.

In reply to earlybroncoguy1 :

I have, with a rusted floor corvair and a salvaged c5

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/6/22 2:00 p.m.
aircooled said:

I have certainly seen front engined V8 Corvairs, but the are usually drag cars.  Years ago someone in Northern California put a Jag V12 in the front of a street driven car, so it's certainly doable.  One needed change will be moving the gas tank since it sits at the rear of the trunk in stock form.

I think this is the car?:

An engine swap where the radiator has to be in the trunk looks like a major pain in the ass.

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels New Reader
7/23/22 10:40 a.m.

i have always loved the Corsair. I had a 68 with a rusted out floorboard that we fixed with a piece of plywood until we could find some sheet metal to make a more permanent repair. While the repair was far from pretty it did prevent having a true flintstone car and what a ball to drive, especially in the snow...yeehaw, the dukes of hazard had nothin on us. Hehe.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/5/23 12:24 a.m.

What did you use for half-shafts? Do you have any pics o the rear suspension setup?

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/5/23 10:15 a.m.
RichardSIA said:

If the radiator is moved to the front a second electric water pump may be needed. Water has to flow all the way around. Single stock pump might not handle that well.

Agree. On both Kimini and Midlana, coolant got hot sitting in traffic, but stayed cool at all other times. It had a large radiator and fan and it still happened. After adding a "pusher" water pump, that issue went away entirely.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3C4AhoFDUICpkmadOJUmARQpY5NvoPhG2mmTiuMyutorBNPjIM4xqiE189MzELYq