1 2
stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/5/20 3:13 p.m.
Schmidlap said:

When I read "A Touareg and a build a boxster kit" and then saw that the Boxster engine was suspect, my first thought was that you were putting a Touareg 4.2L V8 into a Boxster.  I think buying a Touareg just so you can go pick up a Boxster might be just as awesome.

I was expecting that too.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
9/6/20 8:57 a.m.

In reply to AAZCD (Forum Supporter) :

Just took it on a small road trip, got 32mpg with it basically loaded down.  Was ~96F on the way home, AC was killer, as were the cooled seats.  This thing is a total road warrior, so comfortable on the open road.  Wouldn't say that it's particularly sporty to drive around town, but it's a serious mile muncher.  The TDi Touareg is basically the same car, I actually like the way they look from the outside better than the cayenne.  Their transmission programming and handling are different enough that I went with the cayenne instead. 

Hanksville's shop is maybe ten minutes from my house, Hank has done work on my cars before, he's a really nice guy.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/10/21 10:20 p.m.

A long neglected thread... I wasn't even sure if I had one for the Touareg anymore. Still loving 'TowPig', and haven't done much to the blue Boxster.

TowPig: I recently did an oil change. It was the worst experience I've had with this car. Because it's still in warranty I made sure that I was using the correct VW 504/507 spec oil. Most of my cars get Rotella T6 and are happy with it. I though that it would be good, but found an online quote from Shell stating specifically that it did not meet the specs for the European diesels. I did the loop around town stopping at Autozone, O'Riley's, Walmart, and Advance reading the fine print on all the oil jugs. Five liters of Liquimoly 507 spec oil existed in town. The Touareg takes 8.5 liters. I gave up and ordered Valvoline on Amazon. It arrived and I set the case (unopened) in the back of the car along with the filter, waiting for a good day to do the oil change.

Oil change day... I had read docwyte's post about using an oil extractor and watched some YouTube videos of people doing it with their Touaregs. It looked clean and easy. No need to climb under the car and pull panels off. No bathing in hot oil as it splashes off the cross-brace. I picked up a 2.3 gallon extractor from Harbor Freight and got to work. ...and only about 1.5 quarts of oil came out. It turns out that the 2012 Touareg TDI engine has a baffle that blocks the extraction tube. Earlier years and some later years, no problem. In my case, I had to go under and do the dirty work to drain it.

With 8.5L of oil drained, I put the plug back and installed the new filter. It was then that I opened the case of oil from Amazon to find one jug of 5W-30 507 spec oil and one jug of 20W-50 Racing oil. berkeley Amazon.

I remembered the single 5L jug of Liquimoly that I had seen a month earlier and went to Advance Auto to pick it up. Thankfully it was still there. I don't like mixing oil brands, but in this case, it's a very specific blend and I doubt there's much variation between the two. Next time I'm going to plan ahead and order the full kit from (GRM Sponsor) FCP Euro.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/10/21 10:47 p.m.

The blue Boxster is patiently waiting. I had listed it here and on the 986Forum as 'parting out' but let the ad slip away without bumping it. I like the blue and there's still almost all of a car there. When time allows, I may do something with it. The engine that came with it had some obvious flaws, but seemed like it might be okay. The Air-Oil Separator was shot and had a torn boot. The rear main seal was missing. There was some intermix in the bottom of the sump, but most of the oil looked clean. It may have a serious problem or it may be mostly okay. I replaced the oil cooler and O-rings, replaced the AOS, put in a new rear seal, and pulled the outer seal from the IMS bearing and checked it. It all looked good and the compression was pretty even across the cylinders. Optimistically I figured, "Why not give it a try." It is now mated with a transmission and decent used flywheel and clutch. I have it wrapped in plastic and under a tarp waiting to go back in the car. Who knows, maybe it will work?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/11/21 7:59 a.m.

Bummer, the oil extractor works great for our '15 Cayenne Diesel.  Maybe it was the Harbor Freight extractor?  Mine is one I hook up to my air compressor so it has plenty of suction. 

Also for oil I just use Mobil1 5w30 ESP.  Napa sometimes has it on sale, otherwise I buy it in bulk from Amazon or ECS Tuning etc, etc...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dsUk88fkmJp4dMTQHehP2FueOXUsljEwPK1d65180oMdckXscZL69TbG1Fq2lgx2