4 5 6 7
Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
2/6/19 7:12 p.m.

You are going to put a manual behind it right?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
2/6/19 7:41 p.m.
Stampie said:

You are going to put a manual behind it right?

Yes.  The transmission that came stock in the '81 Square body pictured behind the engine donor.  Wiki names it as an NV833.  It's a four speed, with fourth gear being overdrive.  I really need to just start the build thread already.....

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
2/7/19 11:23 a.m.

I may want parts off that if you're parting it out. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
2/7/19 11:36 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I think what you meant to say is "I want to buy that entire truck after you pull the transmission".  In that case, the answer is yes.wink

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
2/7/19 11:40 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

$100 with free shipping?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
2/7/19 11:46 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I have good reason to believe that you recently acquired a trailer.  I also seem to think that you're heading this general direction to pick up a car in the near future, so I could "ship it" onto your trailer here for free.  but watch out " i know what i got" LOL!

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
2/7/19 11:50 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

That's all true but I don't think I could Patrick a C10 and a 4000cs on the trip back. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/7/19 11:52 a.m.

Hmmm....

Brother Dustin is restoring one of the square bidy trucks.

Hows the dash and door panels?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
2/7/19 11:54 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Dash is Trash, door panels, I'll have to look and post pics.

Dusterbd13-michael
2/7/19 11:55 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Awesome.  Grille in good shape?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
2/7/19 11:58 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
2/7/19 12:07 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yeah, that's a lot to pack onto one trailer.  Well, at least stop by on your way up there and pick off the parts you need.  It's got a nice running 350 with cam, & AL four barrel intake.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
2/7/19 12:29 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

I’ll have to see if we have time. This will be one of our turn and burn trips. 

Dusterbd13-michael
2/7/19 1:38 p.m.

Brother Dustin shopping list if stampie passes.

Dustin wrote me: Maybe the front marker lights, tail lights and crap to hold the glovebox on.... side note I opened mine up to put the registration in and it almost fell in the floor. And interior stuff!?!?

wspohn
wspohn Dork
2/9/19 3:28 p.m.

Choosing an engine based on noise (i.e. V8) is probably the worst basis, but also a very frequent one, sadly.  Many much better options get passed by in favour of something that puts out the required V8 rumble.  Makes you want to stick a tricked out 500 bhp Ecotec in an old Corvette and take it to a Vette show and beat the 70s models on the strip....except for the getting lynched part, which would kind of suck.

We even had one guy on the Solstice boards seriously suggest that he wanted to stick a Chev 283 in his car even though it would produce about 100 bhp less just so he could get the sound.  

People like that need to get one of those gizmos that synthesizes a V8 (or V12 etc.) engine sound that is broadcast to the car's radio and is synched to the rpm of the car's engine.  Then they could get the noise they seek while still making rational engine choices.  I actually saw a kid with a Civic and a loud modded stereo system use one of those .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIZwlMCbHzk

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/9/19 5:56 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

Why all the hate?  What's wrong with choosing something that's going to make the builder happy?

The car hobby often doesn't make sense. It's as much for the joy of the end result as it is the performance improvement.

Bang for the buck: I'm getting 290 horsepower for $350.

It'll be a cam swap away from making over 400 ponies. Oh, and it's going to sound Great doing it. wink

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/9/19 6:24 p.m.

So about that c10.  What’s wrong with it that it’s a transmission donor?  I kinda want another rcsb parts chaser since i was dumb and sold my 454 truck

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/9/19 6:26 p.m.

Indy_guy? A cam worth 110 hp?  Amazing.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/9/19 6:33 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Rust. Neglect, rust, slipping clutch, rust, brakes are sketchy, needs a drive shaft ujoint, oh, and rust.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/9/19 6:36 p.m.

Note suspension bushings, and rust on A-Arms and mount.  Also, did you notice the rust at the bottom far corner of the rear window in the pics above?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/9/19 6:40 p.m.
Alfaromeoguy said:

Indy_guy? A cam worth 110 hp?  Amazing.

That's what the test RacetruckRon posted over on the "Do we have an LS swap thread"  Quoted below:

".....Just a tune won't gain you much but throw a cam, valvesprings and headers at a 5.3 can yield almost 100hp. 

Here's a nice stackup of those changes on a 5.3 and 6.2 https://www.powerperformancenews.com/tech/killer-cam-combos-cam-only-5-3l-vs-ls3/ "

So maybe I neglected the valve springs and header....

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
2/10/19 1:07 a.m.

Wait, so what's the engine plan for the TR4?  A 5.3 truck LS?  The A833-OD seems interesting and the wide ratio spread probably doesn't matter so much in a car this light weight.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/10/19 6:46 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Yes, after a twisted path, the TR4 is getting LS swapped with an all aluminum engine from a 2003 GMC Envoy. The engine in this configuration is known as an LM4. Wikipedia will give you some more information.

My reading up on the transmission, reveals it has the same ratios as a TH350, plus a 0.73 overdrive gear.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/10/19 7:28 a.m.

Plug it in and pull codes, then make it run correctly and reliably in the gmc before you pull anything apart.  I’d have bought it too, but be warned those are a witch to pull the engine from.  When the time comes i’d just start cutting stuff and pull engine/trans together.  I would like to express my interest in the trans, transfer case, front driveshaft, and oil pan with front differential, and front cv shafts when you have it all torn down.  

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/10/19 8:10 a.m.
Patrick said:

Plug it in and pull codes, then make it run correctly and reliably in the gmc before you pull anything apart.  I’d have bought it too, but be warned those are a witch to pull the engine from.  When the time comes i’d just start cutting stuff and pull engine/trans together.  I would like to express my interest in the trans, transfer case, front driveshaft, and oil pan with front differential, and front cv shafts when you have it all torn down.  

Thanks for the tips and yes, we can work out a trade for all the items you've expressed interest in.  I'm trying real hard to get this car to the challenge, and if we can work out something that gets me the missing pieces for the swap without spending extra $$, it should be possible.

4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tw1EbtXgL89fbTmBSMVs1SnopLaxVJavjKWOIEKARwgxOWCs9KI0yCO784HdnzDq