5 6 7
wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
2/10/19 9:10 a.m.
Indy-Guy said: I'm trying real hard to get this car to the challenge

Really? An LS swapped TR-4 challenge car. That would be spectacular. You do indeed need to start a build thread. 

Note: In no way is this "throwing shade" (see, I can talk like the young whippersnappers). I'm just gobsmacked that this is even a possibility. Carry on.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/10/19 6:10 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

It's going to take some good trades and making a lot of the parts from scrap, but it should be possible.  Build thread officially started Click here for link

LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
11/29/19 12:23 p.m.

Just closed the deal on a TR4 roller. About to start in the same project. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
11/29/19 12:42 p.m.
LanEvo said:

Just closed the deal on a TR4 roller. About to start in the same project. 

Sweet!

Build thread?  We can bounce ideas and experience back and forth.

LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
11/29/19 8:20 p.m.

I was planning to do a Miata swap ... but I came across a build thread that made it sound like the engine would be too tall.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
11/29/19 8:29 p.m.

In reply to LanEvo :

Oh.  For some reason I thought you too were going for an LS swap.

So you're currently looking for an engine donor?

What are your goals for the car? How do you want to use it?

I still think a carbed Ford 5.0 and T-5 is a sweet combination for these cars if the Miata lump doesn't work out.

LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
11/29/19 9:29 p.m.

It's going to be a Challenge car and weekend toy for me and my son.

The idea is to be as light and well-balanced as possible. Basically just a chassis, stripped down bodywork, minimal interior, and the lightest/smallest/revviest drivetrain I can find.

For whatever reason (probably because I'm eurotrash), I'm just not a fan of American V8s. I'll take a twin-cam four any day. My vintage racecar has a 16v Cosworth engine running twin Weber carbs. I just love that package!

Considering my Challenge budget, I figure a Miata 1.6 or 1.8 complete with trans and wiring harness would make the most sense. But it sounds like it might be too tall.

I remember seeing a website where a guy swapped the 1.3L Suzuki Swift GTI engine and (I think) Samurai trans into a Spridget. That's the kind of thing I had in mind. 

Kegray
Kegray
5/24/23 9:30 a.m.

I know it's been a while but does anyone have anymore motor suggestions? I would prefer a more "drop in" application. Something that doesn't require hacking up the car. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
5/24/23 12:34 p.m.

In reply to Kegray :

Hey there.  I see you're new to the forum, so welcome.  I started this thread several years ago, and it's interesting to see how my perspective has changed.  I did indeed go with an "LS" swap for the car.  You can check out my build thread by clicking here, although it's not completed yet.  I did, indeed, hack up the car:

If your intention is to not cut up the TR4, you can get the Small Block Ford V8 (302 aka 5.0) to fit with the Mustang T-5 transmission.

Check out BritishV8 to see what others have stuffed into British cars.  (note the TR6 has a similar engine bay size, so those swaps are relevant too).  Here's my favorite built by Jay Smith:

5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iw2Ow8LZ5WJEf7iS0G3WAXePTOVcXSmnVqV1m9JZ5vjorPLZ8VZMNOjdTnMS01sX