1 2
BenB
BenB Reader
11/10/15 8:32 a.m.

I've been working out of our house for the past few years, and just got new job that will require me to commute to an office. My wife saw the article in the latest GRM about the $1000 Miata, and said, "You should do that so you don't wear out your car (a low-mileage '04 Mazdaspeed)." Thanks, GRM (and my wife, too)!!!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/10/15 8:43 a.m.

You're very welcome. By the way, a $500 Miata recently fell into our laps. The take-home answer: These deals are out there.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
11/10/15 8:46 a.m.

When I saw a $1700 NB locally, it sure made me think.

Good luck! You will have fun.

David S. Wallens
11/10/15 9:32 a.m.

We had a few NBs at the Challenge. Yeah, some killer deals are out there.

TiggerWelder
TiggerWelder New Reader
11/10/15 10:09 a.m.

I have been driving a $1000 '94 for four years now. It had hit a curb sideways on the drivers side. I replaced the rear subframe, rear upper control arm, front lower control arm, inner and outer tie rod, motor mounts and a couple wheels. After about three years, the key sheared on the crank and it over heated. For fun I put a '99 1.8 in it and a new clutch and header. I love the car, great mileage compared to my Suburban, cheap on insurance as it is liability only, and a blast to drive. I have a spare tub with most of the suspension if you need parts once you get one.

Toebra
Toebra Reader
11/10/15 10:32 a.m.

You will also spend WAY less on fuel. You can burn regular instead of premium, and it will get better fuel economy. My Mazdaspeed does not seem to be able to get much over 22 or 23 MPG. I think there must be something wrong with the accelerator pedal, it seems to be drawn to the floor somehow.

David S. Wallens
11/10/15 10:34 a.m.
Toebra wrote: I think there must be something wrong with the accelerator pedal, it seems to be drawn to the floor somehow.

Gravity. Must be gravity.

BenB
BenB Reader
11/10/15 10:57 a.m.
Toebra wrote: You will also spend WAY less on fuel. You can burn regular instead of premium, and it will get better fuel economy. My Mazdaspeed does not seem to be able to get much over 22 or 23 MPG. I think there must be something wrong with the accelerator pedal, it seems to be drawn to the floor somehow.

That's excactly the same problem I have with mine! Must be a common problem.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/10/15 11:04 a.m.

It should be noted that $1000 Miatas are still the exception rather than the rule.

It takes a lot of effort to wear out a Miata, especially if you care for it. I'd be driving the Mazdaspeed.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/10/15 11:58 a.m.

Just bought a $600 complete running one today, with a 1.8L, a Torsen, and an upgraded suspension!

It did involve 10 hours worth of driving, but "costs to pick up your hooptie are free"!

edit: Oh, and it's ORANGE!! lol!

Stampie
Stampie Reader
11/10/15 12:03 p.m.

I could have picked up a 99 about a month ago for close to a g. Just needed a clutch slave. Seems the best deals are when the owner thinks the clutch is bad but it's just the master/slave.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
11/10/15 12:06 p.m.

Dammit, I have work to do but now you guys have me combing craigslist...

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
11/10/15 12:15 p.m.

My wife told me the same thing about 4 years ago. I searched Craigslist until my eyes bled before she changed her mind. Good luck!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/10/15 12:32 p.m.

BTW, $1000 Miatas have EVERYTHING to do with where you live.

The Gainesville crowd finds probably finds 6-10 per year- maybe more. There are a ton of them in FL.

Keith is in Colorado. They are probably as common as hot chicks nude sunbathing in the snow.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/10/15 12:40 p.m.

The farther South the better. 10 years ago I bought my wife a 1991 Miata at a small dealership in Miami for $1,500. She drove it for years and we sold it to a friend for $1,200.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/10/15 6:44 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Just bought a $600 complete running one today, with a 1.8L, a Torsen, and an upgraded suspension! It did involve 10 hours worth of driving, but "costs to pick up your hooptie are free"! edit: Oh, and it's ORANGE!! lol!

Just discovered it also has a 6 spd!

$600 very well spent.

BenB
BenB Reader
11/11/15 5:11 a.m.

Well done! Not much around here (central NC). The ones under $2K look like they're barely able to move under their own power. Oh well, I'm not in any hurry, anyway.

Rogue
Rogue New Reader
11/11/15 6:16 a.m.

Patience……My '90 cost us $500, and my wires '97 commuter cost $1300. So we have 2 miatas on the road daily for less than 2k. I do work on Miatas daily, so I know my way around them pretty well…..but no real issues with either. I am turning the antique '90 into a autocross car, and just picked up a nice 96M for $1200 with a noisy water pump. It can be done for little change, and this is the time of year to do it.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/11/15 6:45 a.m.

I would sell the one I just dragged home, as it is too nice to make into a parts car and I don't have room to store it. Email me: Tim@GrassrootsMotorsports.com

BenB
BenB Reader
11/11/15 8:39 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: I would sell the one I just dragged home, as it is too nice to make into a parts car and I don't have room to store it. Email me: Tim@GrassrootsMotorsports.com

Do not tempt me! I need to get settled into my new job, first.

fornetti14
fornetti14 Dork
11/11/15 8:55 a.m.

Lots of rust issues up here in Michigan.
One bonus is that people seem to be parting out cars that have rusted away. Good deals on drive lines and other running gear. Hardtops are still around $800-$1,000 depending on condition.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
11/11/15 9:35 a.m.

I bought a $500 Miata and drove it home. It was missing a bunch of stuff, but it was all the stuff that doesn't make a Miata better anyway (imo) since for me it's purely an optional beater.

I guess if you wanted to drive it to work you would at least want yours to have a top you could put up.

But I kind of agree with Keith. If you actually like driving the MSM I would just drive it. I actually miss days when I had a longer commute and got to drive more. Low-mileage doesn't mean anything unless you spend your whole ownership planning to sell it. If you DO want to sell it and that's why you care about the low miles, maybe you should just sell it now and get your next ride and enjoy it on your new commute.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
11/11/15 10:04 a.m.

Found one for 1g on craigslist in Pomona. Owner listed a blown head gasket as the reason but also wrote the car was for parts only. I did notice it did not have a CA plate on it. Sounds to me like there's problem with getting it registered legally or perhaps the owner doesn't want to deal with any implied warranty issues. I'd pursue it further but it's black. I'll buy any color car other than black. Or pink.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
11/11/15 10:17 a.m.

In reply to Vigo: A car is a car as a motorcycle is a motorcycle. However, a piece of property is an investment. I don't confuse the two.

Desmond
Desmond Reader
11/11/15 10:31 a.m.

No deals here. The absolute cheapest Miata here locally is listed at $2300 right now. I'm disappointed. Now is usually the best time to buy...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7XtkZXBK1dNn0kbcTOp3Ub67n7jDgjqL3SZDUGLNrMi5q6eMSHQqxpUxw2V6vNkd