Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
9/30/20 6:58 p.m.

The Internet won't tell me, but GRM will fill me in!

My aunt's '97 Accord wagon got sideswiped while parked in front of her house, and the relayed message I've got is that the insurance or body folks are telling her the driver's side taillight assembly is hard to find. I started by finding some used on car-part.com, so there's that to fall back to, but in pictures I'm not seeing an obvious difference between the wagon and sedan taillights, and the sedan/coupe ones (apparently the same) are cheap and plentiful new. Under $30 from rockauto...

So... anybody know whether the sedan/coupe taillights are actually different from the wagon ones? Or is it just that the wagon doesn't even register with a lot of searches?

I did notice that most of the pics of salvages that car-part.com pulled up were for actual wagons, and I didn't see a sedan to suggest that their interchange verifies swappability.

Beaucoup arigato!

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
9/30/20 7:02 p.m.

Not the same.  

1997 Accord Wagon

1997 Accord Sedan

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
9/30/20 7:08 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

Boy, I should've been able to answer that with pics! That's what I get for not putting them next to each other.

Thank you!

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
9/30/20 7:10 p.m.

Near me, in Ohio, proper wagon tail lamps on car-part.com seem to go for $30-$50 with many to choose from.  Add $10 for shipping and have one next week.  

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
9/30/20 7:10 p.m.

The sedan piece looks like it would fit with some duct tape and baling wire to hold it in. cheeky 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
9/30/20 7:13 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

Indeed! Fortunately, that's a dandy option, especially given that she's not going to bother having the cosmetic stuff straightened out.

RustBeltSherpa
RustBeltSherpa New Reader
10/1/20 2:11 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

Near me, in Ohio, proper wagon tail lamps on car-part.com seem to go for $30-$50 with many to choose from.  Add $10 for shipping and have one next week.  

The good news is that the '94-97 wagon taillights were unchanged, unlike the sedan and coupe at '96m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6iorpOGHgEovHdqA7JkdzLBk6MU5Ua5Jr9hN7AMmpWRcvvOGyedLeOqfBMZyFvVe