midknight
midknight New Reader
7/12/08 11:52 a.m.

Hi all, May be a dumb question, but I'm having brain freeze right now. I've got an Accord wagon that has been sitting up for a few months. Battery is dead, along with other issues, so I was going to pull it to the other side of the yard. Went in and turned the ignition all the way so I could get it into neutral, but it would not budge out of park. Foot was on the brake, but nothing. Am I missing something I should be doing? Does it need the battery to be good to release something electronically to be able to take it out of park? Thanks for any help guys,

Wayne

integraguy
integraguy New Reader
7/12/08 3:32 p.m.

I realize this may not be related, but my Integra does something like this...whenever the outside temps drop below 52 degrees. What happens? The cable at the end of the shifter stretches in cold weather, or so I'm told, and prevents the interlock from "believing" it's in park. Then, I can't move the shift lever and consequently I can't remove the key from the ignition switch. Most Hondas have, or had a key slot next to the shifter, if your car has this try inserting a spare key into the slot when the shifter won't budge...it should free up the shifter and allow it to move.

I don't know Hondas all that well, but I wouldn't think your battery is the problem...tho I could be wrong. A good Honda website is Honda-Acura.net

Sonic
Sonic New Reader
7/12/08 11:01 p.m.

Yes, it needs power to unlock the shifter. There should be an emergency release button on the shifter bezel somewhere, usually under a little plastic clip that you need to pry out, or a slot on the shifter that you stick your key in to release it in circunstances like this

midknight
midknight New Reader
7/12/08 11:08 p.m.

Thanks guys!

Wayne

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aFpZIdgKafvYidpCFuj2uxL7VUeVrVddDL13ZnbzGptZ4kijPFsZ1cs91few1MMK