1 2
rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
2/8/11 11:41 a.m.

Before I was seriously looking, I never considered Acura in any of my research. I was looking for RWD or AWD, and Acura offered neither until 2009, and not with a manual until 2010 (in the TL SH-AWD). When I first saw the 2009 Acura TL, I think I laughed, or maybe threw up a little.

Now, through unforeseen circumstances, I find myself the owner of a 2005 TSX. It is FWD, of course, and even has an automatic transmission.

And it's fantastic. Yes, I miss the manual sometimes, and I hear the 6-speed is very good, but I still love this car.

Now as I look to the future, I'm actually liking the much-maligned TL. (As long as it's a SH-AWD with 6MT).

Duke
Duke SuperDork
2/8/11 11:43 a.m.

Yup. I love my wife's '04 TSX. With the automatic (which is really very good) it's an almost-perfect daily.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
2/8/11 11:50 a.m.
rogerbvonceg wrote: Before I was seriously looking, I never considered Acura in any of my research. I was looking for RWD or AWD, and Acura offered neither until 2009, and not with a manual until 2010 (in the TL SH-AWD).

ORLY??

RossD
RossD Dork
2/8/11 11:52 a.m.

In reply to mtn:

What a timeless design.

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
2/8/11 11:59 a.m.

Caveat:

"...in my price range."

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
2/8/11 12:00 p.m.

Caveat 2:

"...sedan..."

red5_02
red5_02 Reader
2/8/11 12:06 p.m.

I LOVE the TSX. Buddy of mine has one and that little car is so comfortable and refined.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/8/11 12:18 p.m.

Acura did a press intro for the TSX at Michelin's headquarters, including lots of autocross plus time on their test track. It kinda felt like a big CRX, and I mean that in a good way.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
2/8/11 12:37 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Acura did a press intro for the TSX at Michelin's headquarters, including lots of autocross plus time on their test track. It kinda felt like a big CRX, and I mean that in a good way.

I desperately want my wife to try an autocross in hers. Unfortunately I believe that is totally off the table, judging by her reactions to a fun run pass with me driving the Miata.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
2/8/11 12:40 p.m.

2 Big things with it. Keep the oil changed. Watch the oil level between changes. Do this and the car will run forever. Don't do it and you'll be visiting me with your wallet open.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
2/8/11 12:45 p.m.

Bob:

Any tips for a TSX that gets driven maybe 6k a year? We bought it in 10/2004 and it just turned over 37k. How often should I change the transmission fluid and coolant?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
2/8/11 1:52 p.m.

TYPICALLY.... it'll tell you via the vehicle's maintenance minder. But with your low mileage I would change the trans fluid every 15-20k or 3 years. Simple drain and fill, 4 qts of fluid and a washer. IT's cheap insurance. Luckily the auto's in the TSX are the more durable of the two transmissions.

To be fair, and everyone here know's my personal feelings for hondar, a 2006 TSX non-navi manual would be on my short list if the price was right.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
2/8/11 8:55 p.m.

Not being well versed in Honda speak, does the TSX share anything with the sporty RSX or is it simply the euro Accord we Americans are not allowed to have?

hotg54b
hotg54b New Reader
2/8/11 10:00 p.m.

Acura considers the TSX a "sportscar"

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke New Reader
2/8/11 10:03 p.m.

I hate the throttle by wire in my sister's 6spd 05 TSX. Aside from that it's a really nice car. I heard there is some way to fix the TBW, but she has never complained about it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
2/9/11 8:16 a.m.
Nitroracer wrote: Not being well versed in Honda speak, does the TSX share anything with the sporty RSX or is it simply the euro Accord we Americans are not allowed to have?

It has more to share with the Accord than anything else in the lineup. It is the Euro Accord with leather and goodies. Unlike the RSX, it has a real suspension under it.

Did I mention we can still get the A-spec suspensions for them?

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
2/9/11 9:17 a.m.

To me this is sorta like saying the Camry is a good car.

There isn't a single Acura in their current lineup I would consider owning. Just not my thing.

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
2/9/11 9:23 a.m.
T.J. wrote: To me this is sorta like saying the Camry is a good car. There isn't a single Acura in their current lineup I would consider owning. Just not my thing.

That was me before driving this one, which was kind of my point.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
2/9/11 9:30 a.m.

I'm sure they are nice enough cars. I am also sure that no amount of goodness will overcome my pre-conceived notions about big long-nosed FWD cars. Just not interested. I realize this in more about me being willfully ignorant than it is about the quality of Acura's cars.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix New Reader
2/9/11 9:50 a.m.

I drove a 6 spd. TSX before I bought my 350Z, It seemed like a really nice, sportier Accord. It handled competently in a way that the Accord no longer does, reminding me more of the great 90-93 CB chassis Accords in that respect.

That said, if I was in the FWD sport sedan market I would not even stop at the Acura store on my way to go buy a new Civic Si 4 door, THAT is an inspiring car. The new Civic Si is the best one since at least the EG (92-95), steering, shifter, clutch, handling, a motor that is perfect in every way. The interior is ridiculous (too weird, maybe you get used to it after a while) and the A-pillar is in the way (just like every other new car A-pillar), but it's a small price to pay for a car that begs to be taken to the race track in a way very few 4-doors do.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
2/9/11 9:59 a.m.
T.J. wrote: I'm sure they are nice enough cars. I am also sure that no amount of goodness will overcome my pre-conceived notions about big long-nosed FWD cars. Just not interested. I realize this in more about me being willfully ignorant than it is about the quality of Acura's cars.

I wouldn't call the TSX long-nosed... depends on what you're comparing it to. A cab-over truck, maybe.

coll9947
coll9947 New Reader
2/9/11 10:04 a.m.
ShadowSix wrote: I drove a 6 spd. TSX before I bought my 350Z, It seemed like a really nice, sportier Accord. It handled competently in a way that the Accord no longer does, reminding me more of the great 90-93 CB chassis Accords in that respect.

EXACTLY! I love 90-93 Accords. Learned stick on one. I've seen maybe two tastefully modified examples while the rest all seem doomed, but dang if those two clean ones weren't awesome. The CB Accords are a styling icon to me as far as mid-size four door sedans are concerned.

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
2/9/11 11:38 a.m.
ShadowSix wrote: I drove a 6 spd. TSX before I bought my 350Z, It seemed like a really nice, sportier Accord. It handled competently in a way that the Accord no longer does, reminding me more of the great 90-93 CB chassis Accords in that respect. That said, if I was in the FWD sport sedan market I would not even stop at the Acura store on my way to go buy a new Civic Si 4 door, THAT is an inspiring car. The new Civic Si is the best one since at least the EG (92-95), steering, shifter, clutch, handling, a motor that is perfect in every way. The interior is ridiculous (too weird, maybe you get used to it after a while) and the A-pillar is in the way (just like every other new car A-pillar), but it's a small price to pay for a car that begs to be taken to the race track in a way very few 4-doors do.

I agree with your assessment of the Civic. I had looked into a 4-door Si at some point. I love how they look on the outside, but the inside turned me off. Weird and downmarket. At my age and level of snobbishness, I felt that that ship had sailed. I had an '89 CRX Si that will live on favorably in my head until I die, but I don't want another one.

The TSX represented fewer packaging compromises, with an inviting, upmarket tan leather interior that just felt right as soon as I sat in it. It also has the 2.4l version of Honda's fantastic little engine, which offers considerably more torque than the Civic's. HP is about the same.

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
2/9/11 11:44 a.m.

I'm sounding like one of those fanbois. Sorry. It's an effect of the drug.

My original intent was not so much an ode to my car, but to remark on the effects of it.

TJ hit it on the head. Acura (and Honda) had nothing for me 3 months ago. Now I'm wondering what my next Acura will be, and dreaming of the day I can fit an S2000 in the garage.

I have no such feelings for Toyota, Ford, or Volkswagen (other brands I've owned).

Has this ever happened to you?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
2/9/11 11:44 a.m.

If the TSX only cam with cloth....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YsbZiSyxB2KA019gA6cMprFEcpWcyudEAesrnXYeDOFURfeEONJcFb4MJ2TpZP9F