1 2
spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
8/13/19 10:37 p.m.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/13/acura-type-s-concept-monterey/#slide-2160570

While just a concept, it's Honda's commitment to bringing two type s models to market in the next 2 years. 

I like the styling and will happily applaud Acura bringing performance variants back to the normal cars. 

so what do you guys think? 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/13/19 11:10 p.m.

I usually try not to be that guy. But I was confused by the 6th gen Camaro with an Acura badge until I saw other angles of it. Upon closer inspection and seeing the rest of the renders. I definitely think it's more attractive than the Camaro. 

_
_ HalfDork
8/14/19 12:03 a.m.

It won’t have that grill, it will weigh 4,000+ lbs, it will be fwd, no manual transmission, and it will be marketed to geezers in retirement. 

There. I said everything that’s going to come up and derail this thread. Now discuss what the car IS, not what you WANT IT TO BE. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/14/19 12:53 a.m.

Nice Accord. cool

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/14/19 1:15 a.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

You say that like it's a bad thing...

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
8/14/19 1:34 a.m.

If it's fwd I don't really see where this fits without directly competing with a loaded up Accord

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
8/14/19 5:38 a.m.

it will be a CTR powered fwd sedan. imo

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/14/19 5:45 a.m.

Acura loves their AWD. I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm sure they're aiming at the current Lexus sporty car market which doesn't have a whole lot of overlap with proper sports cars. Good styling, enough power, and sporty feeling is enough to get butts in seats. 

kevinatfms
kevinatfms Reader
8/14/19 5:52 a.m.

Id believe 300hp, AWD and a curb weight of 3800lbs.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
8/14/19 6:06 a.m.

This will need to go after the Audi 5 and Mercedes C series.  I doubt Honda will do RWD, so AWD is likely the ticket... AND it is a S variant... 

400hp TT 3.2 w/ AWD... Sounds about right for the assumed competitors.  

Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
8/14/19 6:10 a.m.

I want one, even if its fwd. Honda knows how to build a great handling fwd car.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/14/19 7:00 a.m.

I think it looks fantastic!

A loaded (non-hybrid) Honda Accord starts at $35k, so I'd expect an Acura S to start in the mid-40s.

But since I don't need a 4 door, or even a back seat for that matter, a stone's throw from $50k.............I'd probably start looking for a CPO Audi RS3 or S4 if I needed a back seat.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
8/14/19 7:06 a.m.

Oooh, that looks nice. Acura's styling department seems to be recovering from the "Power Plenum" grille trend of 5 or 6 years ago. I think the new ILX looks great too. And while the NSX is not doing well, I don't think it's styling that's holding it back.

TJL
TJL Reader
8/14/19 7:19 a.m.

Looks kinda like a camry smashed a camaro.  Not the worst looking car at all but they all kinda look the same. 

And as Nick D pointed out, at least they got away from that ridiculous huge grille they were running with. 

Performance #’s will be interesting. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/14/19 7:33 a.m.
MrChaos said:

it will be a CTR powered fwd sedan. imo

Well, back in the day they used to make an Accord Type-R, at least for the UK market.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/14/19 8:22 a.m.

Looks good, but we have Accords already, so unless they surprise us with RWD or at least AWD, meh.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/14/19 8:32 a.m.

Unless they can make it more compelling than the 300-hp AWD V6 TLX, it's going to fade into obscurity just like the TLX does.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/14/19 9:10 a.m.

10+ years of working for Acura. This won't come to market for at least 5 years. When it does it'll not be as pretty. FWD, manual trans won't be there. It'll be loaded with the latest "tech" they can find that only partially works and is already a couple years late. 

Sorry... can't get excited over it. They lost me a long time ago watching their antics from inside. 

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla New Reader
8/14/19 9:28 a.m.
_ said:

It won’t have that grill, it will weigh 4,000+ lbs, it will be fwd, no manual transmission, and it will be marketed to geezers in retirement. 

There. I said everything that’s going to come up and derail this thread. Now discuss what the car IS, not what you WANT IT TO BE. 

Lol. Pretty much spot on. Except it will be marketed to Audi driving chai boys who dont turn wrenches and think a car is a fancier, mobile version of an ipad.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/14/19 11:03 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

I's bein' snarky.  I wish Nissan would bring back the Altima coupe.  I wish all manufacturers would bring back their fwd coupes.  Well maybe not the Probe or even the 2dr Camry (  was that even a coupe?devil)  But the MX6 sure. smiley

einy
einy HalfDork
8/14/19 11:28 a.m.

I absolutely love the styling .... I think I might have found the (three years down the road) replacement for the GTI should it come to be in a form close to what they are previewing with that info release.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
8/14/19 9:15 p.m.

I love the Accord/Camaro/Guilia mash-up

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
8/15/19 7:25 p.m.

Can you swap the engine into a NA Miata?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/19 6:04 a.m.
BlindPirate said:

Can you swap the engine into a NA Miata?

Sure. As long as you have the time and the talent. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/17/19 11:05 a.m.

I just watched a short promo video on insty. Are the wheels SUPPOSED to look like this?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cyKpbyZlpqWf6hzKOfCuqVwTLnHd03BgiSb5SN2AwG5PanPMNEjdUm6VRO5x4ii1