BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
4/8/22 8:08 p.m.

So, theoretically, if someone were to have, say, a little old rwd car that they wanted to eventually power with a modern 4 cylinder.

And... also this person definitely knew where there were a couple crashed Toyotas, a 2001 Echo and a 2000 Corolla, to be specific.

Obviously, problems to solve would be adapting a transmission and figuring out exhaust.

Look Honda K and GM Ecotec swaps into Miatas for inspiration?

What else? How would you do it?

Lots of cheap and common inline four engines out there that put out enough power to make a small car fun.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/8/22 10:42 p.m.

Keep the drivetrain as a unit. 

Transverse rwd. Or fwd.

Or find a different donor. 

Diy engine adaptors can be done but there are a million other more important things to focus on for the challenge.

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/8/22 11:08 p.m.

I once went down the rabbit hole of what is involved in making a Toyota 1ZZ or 2ZZ fit where a RWD 4A-GE or 4A-C once lived, and don't remember all the specifics, but motor mounts, headers, and returnless fuel system were the items needing customization IIRC correctly. I seem to remember that getting the clutch/flywheel/starter/bellhousing sorted is just a question of the right combo of parts bin combinations. Don't remember what I concluded on the water pump, but the fact that it doesn't stick in my memory leads me towards not a big deal. 
This is because the Toyota 4A engines were offered both longitudinal and transverse, and then the transverse FWD models were developed into ZZ powered. 

Not that RWD 4A parts are thick on the ground any more, but interesting idea nonetheless.

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/8/22 11:54 p.m.

RWD car with a transverse FWD engine = Fiero. GM basically took the whole drive train and front suspension and put it in back replacing the steering rack with fixed length arms.

If you can remove the current rear axle and suspension, cut a big hole in the middle of the rear and weld in bracing as needed ...should be Easy.  wink

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/9/22 12:35 a.m.

https://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=369388

This guy put a Neon Twincam in a Midget.  Lots of really nice fabrication, and a whole whack of stuff he had to deal with due to the transverse nature of the Neon.

Lovely fabrication, good to read even if it doesn't answer any of your questions, really.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Reader
4/9/22 3:13 a.m.

I always thought that it would be cool to get a short wheelbase sand rail and graft the front wheel drive engine, trans, and suspension of your choice onto the back. smiley

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/9/22 5:33 a.m.

I'm reminded.

This thing has a transverse FWD engine that got adapted by the manufacturer to a longitudinal FR configuration. 

Something about doing a "limited run" of a design exercise that was actually never intended for production when started. 

I think it worked out well. You might recognize it. This one, a second generation version, is in my driveway. 

Th

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
4/9/22 7:28 a.m.

I've been working the same question; I have a certain project car that needs motorvation and I've settled somewhere between the Saab H, an Ecotec or the EDV mated to a NC 6 speed. I should have bought the ecotec that was listed here with the trans but I wasn't ready then. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
4/9/22 11:58 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Keep the drivetrain as a unit. 

Transverse rwd. Or fwd.

Or find a different donor. 

Diy engine adaptors can be done but there are a million other more important things to focus on for the challenge.

I think $2000 Challenge would be a secondary side goal.  I'm picturing the primary objective as a fun and friendly street car, more of a "modified restoration." This would theoretically be a long term project where figuring out the puzzles required to use what I have laying around might be part of the fun.

But your point is still valid.

Hmm, yeah I wonder what type of common small  car would be a good rwd donor.

(I'm literally typing this as I sit in an early Miata, haha)

BlueInGreen - Jon
4/9/22 11:59 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

That's a cool build thread, thanks for sharing it!

ian sane
ian sane Dork
4/9/22 12:15 p.m.

Biggest thing I see is the trans adapter/flywheel/clutch. I have a Volvo fwd turbo 5 cylinder bolted to a mustang t5 trans in a rwd configuration but that's because it was a cheap off the shelf adapter.

Everything else is going to be the same hurdles you'd run in to in any 'modern engine swap in classic car' escapade. 

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
4/9/22 12:56 p.m.

I looked into a RWD option for my 2ZZGE, and the Aussies have already done the legwork.

linky

Should work on your corolla engine, too.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/9/22 1:48 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

I really liked his intake manifold.

Folgers
Folgers New Reader
4/9/22 2:23 p.m.

Didn’t they make an awd Pontiac vibe with the same engine? 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
4/9/22 2:47 p.m.

VWs 07k is getting put into 944s right now successfully. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/9/22 3:53 p.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

07k shares a bellhousing pattern with 4cyl VW.  This does not necessarily help the Porsche guys but it does make some things easier. (Longitudinal Audi swaps)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hkjQm46EqF4vOlxvTP94kegWCzppfLftO6JmQcF4WpjF5WhwEbh362PwLyWJV73A