3 4 5 6 7
Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
6/8/18 1:58 p.m.
Lof8 said:
yupididit said:

In reply to wheels777 :

I never had a FB; didnt even know they had a market???

I have a decent amount of searches saved, and I never see anything that is as good as you state. But, I see yall are soaking them all up. So, that mystery is solved.

facebook marketplace is the new craigslist.  Its simpler to post and, as a result, gets more traffic.

With even less intelligence and more flakyness from the buyers and sellers.

Its a joke.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
6/8/18 2:47 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

A great joke, that scored me my current Challenge build for $180

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UberDork
6/8/18 2:52 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Deals, great deals,  are achieved through knowledge and patience. A willingness to walk away and wait.  

Maybe combing through old ads or making note of items and call after 30-90 120 days.  

I used to get a lot of great deals because I was the go to guy on Jaguars.  When someone would give up on selling it at the price he wanted, he’d call me and ask if I was still willing to buy it at my price.  

Then storage is involved.  Deals come not when you are ready for them but when they are ready for you.  

Fair enough, and I get that. I bought my 944 more than a month after I looked at it, for a bit over 2/3 of the asking price, so I know that game.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UberDork
6/8/18 2:53 p.m.
Stefan said:

Its a joke.

Disagree. Craigslist is far worse, in my experience. Biggest reason is that it's anonymous. At least on FB you are talking to someone with an actual name.

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
6/8/18 3:48 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler : Well done !

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
6/8/18 3:55 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
Stefan said:

Its a joke.

Disagree. Craigslist is far worse, in my experience. Biggest reason is that it's anonymous. At least on FB you are talking to someone with an actual name.

Not for me.  I've tried to sell a set of wheels for weeks now.  I've had 3 people ask me about them and after I reply, I never get another response.  Just like CL.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
6/8/18 4:46 p.m.
SVreX said:
Knurled. said:

With LS engines as well as SBCs, "short stroke = RPM" is kind of a myth because even with 3.75" strokes, the RPM limitation is the top end, not the bottom end.  It might have been true in the 60s but nowadays, bottom end strength is good enough and valve lift and acceleration are high enough that keeping the valvetrain together is the biggest issue.

Having a lighter crank IS nice in a lightweight car, though.

I think that's only half the equation, as has always been the case. 

Small bores do reduce airflow through the heads by shrouding the valves. But a short stroke still means reduced piston speed which means increased engine speed.

Combining both means big power. 

Hot Rod Magazine builds a 4.8 crank LS3- 8000 RPM, 607 hp

But the piston speed isn't a limitation with these bottom ends... you could make an 8000rpm 6-liter too.

te72
te72 Reader
6/8/18 10:16 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Also, note my disclaimer about peak power numbers, then go look at that dyno chart I posted. 400 hp is not always the same. 

Oh I totally understand the importance of area under the curve. I went to some significant lengths on the Supra to increase it as much as possible, and it shows with a fairly wide (for a small engine) torque curve. All that said, I'd do it significantly better a second time around, and likely only spend half as much... live and learn I suppose.

Trouble for me, is elevation. I live at 6500', and it's not uncommon for me to be climbing on the fun roads around the area. V8's are alright, and I'm sure a well sorted V8 would do well even up here, but boost is almost a must up here. Trouble is, fitting both into some engine bays... All that said, I kinda appreciate the challenge in learning to drive an engine that's a bit weak down low. Really forces you to keep the revs up, learn to carry momentum. Weird as this sounds, my Supra was modeled a lot after the driving experience of my Miata. Weirder still? It works. Really well once you get the hang of it.

To the rest of you folks, I appreciate the knowledge you're dropping on me. I've went from knowing next to nothing about the lower end Gen 3 GM v8's to knowing that even they, the lower ones on the totem pole, have their place, and potential. It's good to know!

Specifically, Knurled, I've always known that pushrod design is what limits a lot of otherwise well thought out engines. Sure, there are plenty out there that "can" rev 7500, 8k, or even beyond, but... for how long? It's a rhetorical question. Point is, I'm not a fan of grenades. Sure, badass engine is badass, but it's never fun to have to push a car back to the pits because longevity wasn't given much thought. There's nothing in my bottom end stopping me from pushing my 1j past 10k, but my current head wouldn't likely last long, and the way it's setup, it wouldn't make power up there anyway, but that's another point.

As for the 1uz swap into an older car, maschinebau, I'm not as well versed in those as I am with the JZ. I am kinda surprised the ecu doesn't require the key in order to work on a swap. Good to know though! I still think they're likely the cheapest boost-ready engine in that displacement range, that may be their biggest appeal for folks like me.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
6/9/18 8:38 a.m.

I befriended the owner of this 8500-8700rpm turbo Stang via FB. He'S done both 4.8 and 5.3 engines.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
6/9/18 10:10 a.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero :

I like how the article (not the headline) says "100% stock internals" then goes on to describe the porting, the cam, and the lifter and rocker upgrades...

Granted the lifters are stock from a different application, and the rockers are stock with better bearings, but this still ain't a washed-off junkyard engine.

Still very impressive all the same.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/9/18 11:09 a.m.

I think their definition is that it still has the stock crank, rods, and pistons, and the heads have never come off. Semantics, I know. And impressive,  nonetheless 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
6/9/18 5:54 p.m.
varg said:

...and I really wish people would stop calling them LS engines and start calling them by their proper engine codes. True LS engines are aluminum.

Well I, for one, don't have a clue what their proper engine codes are.  I'm sure many (most?) other folks don't either.  "Gen three" seems to be an accurate way to describe them...but that's not how folks actually talk.  You can get your point across pretty quick by saying "an ell ess swap."  There are a few nerds out there that will try to correct you...but they know exactly what you're saying.

I don't like it when people call any and all refrigerant "freon" either.  But in my industry, I can have a blood pressure spike 10 times aday or I can sell some "Freon" (r134a) and go about my day.

If I cry over it...maybe someone can hand me a Kleenex brand facial tissue to dry my tears ;)

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/9/18 6:13 p.m.

Ellis Jaun?

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
6/9/18 6:30 p.m.
ClemSparks said:
varg said:

...and I really wish people would stop calling them LS engines and start calling them by their proper engine codes. True LS engines are aluminum.

Well I, for one, don't have a clue what their proper engine codes are.  I'm sure many (most?) other folks don't either.  "Gen three" seems to be an accurate way to describe them...but that's now how folks actually talk.  You can get your point across pretty quick by saying "an ell ess swap."  There are a few nerds out there that will try to correct you...but they know exactly what you're saying.

I don't like it when people call andy and all refrigerant "freon" either.  But in my industry, I can have a blood pressure spike 10 times aday or I can sell some "Freon" (r134a) and go about my day.

If I cry over it...maybe someone can hand me a Kleenex brand facial tissue to dry my tears ;)

Are you me?  Because this looks like something I would post.

(R134a IS NOT FREON!!!!!!)

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
6/9/18 6:31 p.m.
Ian F said:

Ellis Jaun?

Aka how to go from zero to ignored by me always...

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/9/18 9:01 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Image result for why so serious

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
6/9/18 9:41 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

VERY IMPRESSIVE!!

At this point, I think most people that are die hard LSx types know that a cam, homebrew porting (read as non CNC), trunion upgrade, melling oil pump, and LS7 lifters (stock replacement) are not considered when talking about stock JY engines, because magazine and forum hype.

Parish was the go to guy in the truck world for turbo powered GenIII/IV V8 about 10yrs ago. Everyone attempted to copy his builds. Same with Gator and Nelson for N/A builds. Now it's Sloppy Mechanics.

Peeps are beginning to understand combos and how they should be used to generate the result they want. Something our fellow GRMers have been doing for years at the challenge.

Somebeach
Somebeach New Reader
6/10/18 10:40 a.m.

I may have missed some posts along the way, and maybe this has been brought up.  

But is it really as easy as a 6 wires to wire in the LS to run. If you go with a vendors “stand alone option”

http://lsx4u.com/images/LSx4uHarnessInstructions.pdf

seems like for a beginner that would be worth the $500-$600   

te72
te72 Reader
6/12/18 9:27 p.m.

You know, it makes me wonder if there's any room in the world for OHC heads for the LS bottom ends. I mean, I just read recently about a badass billet hemi head that you can run on an LS now, obviously aftermarket.

With the availability of aftermarket goodies for these engines, eliminating that top end limitation (the valvetrain) would be interesting to see just how far you can push these things. Can anyone say 10k plus? Granted, it would increase both width and height a fair amount, so it would almost certainly limit the cars it can go into, but...

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
6/12/18 9:36 p.m.
Somebeach said:

But is it really as easy as a 6 wires to wire in the LS to run. If you go with a vendors “stand alone option”

The annoying thing about the stand-alone option is that they typically eliminate the rear O2 wiring and the wiring for the purge and vent solenoids.  There is no valid reason to not run catalysts or a functional evap system.  Being too lazy to plug in a couple connectors is not a valid reason.  GM has literally the mechanically simplest evap system in the world, it's just a charcoal canister and two solenoids.  I suspect Everyone Else's weird systems are designed the way they are because GM has a patent on the simple solution.

I've seen/worked on/driven/tuned 1000hp LS motors that were completely Federally smog legal.  Your 300hp engine swap is not having its life choked out by the very well engineered OE cats, and a car without a functioning evap system will pollute more just sitting in your garage than any car made in the last 20-30 years pollutes driving down the highway.

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
6/13/18 2:50 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Depends on the goal of the swap.  Street driven you’re probably right. Depends on the state.  California has pretty strict regulations however other states may not. 

Race only?  Smog requirements may interfere with safety regulations.   Or totally not required. Again it depends on class entered. Ruling body requirements. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
6/13/18 7:02 a.m.
te72 said:

You know, it makes me wonder if there's any room in the world for OHC heads for the LS bottom ends. I mean, I just read recently about a badass billet hemi head that you can run on an LS now, obviously aftermarket.

With the availability of aftermarket goodies for these engines, eliminating that top end limitation (the valvetrain) would be interesting to see just how far you can push these things. Can anyone say 10k plus? Granted, it would increase both width and height a fair amount, so it would almost certainly limit the cars it can go into, but...

They've done that. 

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/mercury-racing-set-to-release-32-valve-head-for-ls-engine/

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
6/13/18 7:03 a.m.

In reply to te72 :

Mercury Marine makes these 4V heads. They claim 400cfm on the intake. Also the heads don't look that big. Total package looks still smaller than a modular.

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto New Reader
6/13/18 8:29 a.m.
Somebeach said:

A stock truck engine/harness can be fired up using only 3 wires if you grabbed the underhood fuse panel as well. You'll just need battery power/ground/12v keyed to the fuse panel. As long as your PCM has been flashed, it'll fire up.

Will
Will UltraDork
6/13/18 4:56 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Could just be an optical illusion, but that looks like a very long motor thanks to the accessory drive setup.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y1upCqStkB0QQJUwzyBc3eCe0AZfz5kZqvsCKHWHNE93305qHKa3WOJWp3fzr4Uk