Danny Shields
Danny Shields Reader
1/8/17 2:15 p.m.

Following her husband's recent death, my big sister is left with his supercharged 1995 Buick Riviera and Honda Gold Wing Trike. She does not drive and has no use for them, so I am trying to help get them ready to sell. I will leave the Gold Wing for another thread, but I could use some advice on the Buick.

The Riviera was garaged but not driven for two years, but I charged the battery and it started right up. Even the AC seems to work. But there are two issues:
!. The engine seems to idle OK but does not want to rev above about 2,000 RPM. When you try to rev it up, it goes into a rhythmic surge, almost like a rev limiter.
2. The tach and instrument panel do not seem to be working. Thanks!

Any suggestions on what to check next? Anyone suggestions on selling such a car?

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
1/8/17 2:21 p.m.

The 1st issue sounds like an oil problem. I would double check to make sure that 1.) there is enough oil in there and 2.) the oil is getting to where it needs to go. Could be as simple as an oil change.

Edit: can't help you with problem #2.

maj75
maj75 Reader
1/8/17 3:01 p.m.

Did you check the air filter? Were mice around?

Maybe some wiring damage.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
1/8/17 3:51 p.m.

Bad map sensor?

Tk8398
Tk8398 New Reader
1/8/17 10:52 p.m.

I used to have a 99 grand prix gtp and it had a neutral rev limiter, could that be it?

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
1/8/17 11:01 p.m.
Danny Shields wrote: !. The engine seems to idle OK but does not want to rev above about 2,000 RPM. When you try to rev it up, it goes into a rhythmic surge, almost like a rev limiter.

That is because GM has a rev limiter in Park and Neutral of around 3000rpm.

As for the cluster, step one is check the fuses. All of them.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields Reader
1/9/17 5:55 a.m.

I didn't even think about a Neutral/Park rev limiter, and that makes sense. And checking all the fuses is a good idea that I probably should have done first thing. I will do that when I get back up to her place. The dipstick looks good, but an oil change couldn't hurt. Haven't seen any evidence of mouse activity but that's something else to check for. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

eebasist
eebasist Reader
1/10/17 9:02 p.m.

That vintage has electrical gremlins. A search of the net says its not terribly uncommon to lose the dash.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
1/10/17 9:56 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Danny Shields wrote: !. The engine seems to idle OK but does not want to rev above about 2,000 RPM. When you try to rev it up, it goes into a rhythmic surge, almost like a rev limiter.
That is because GM has a rev limiter in Park and Neutral of around 3000rpm. As for the cluster, step one is check the fuses. All of them.

But then how can you do sweet neutral bomb burn-outs?!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oo5PB3Pg9adoEhaUeCqjueqCoRkwpt6l8sfstQhyHjUkWswrnjeR0iUZNZgYK3Zr