RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
1/31/15 4:28 a.m.

My automotive ADD is starting to act up again. Ok, enough with the alliteration, let's get down to brass tacks. I've been eyeing AWD cars with either a manual or flappy-paddle dual-clutch transmission. I tend to do mostly highway driving with some apex-strafing on the side. The town I live in has some steep hills and in winter the trucks don't always sand or plow them like the main roads. Before anyone says "snow tires," I'm just spitballing here. Don't expect a new car announcement from me anytime soon.

They come with manual transmissions, they're turbocharged and, let's face it, they're sexy. But do A5s suck at changing directions? Featherweights they ain't, but as a grand tourer the A5 should still handle well, right? I know Audis are complex and expensive, but CPO A5s have a pretty generous warranty, but will it be in the shop constantly?

codrus
codrus Dork
1/31/15 1:34 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: They come with manual transmissions, they're turbocharged and, let's face it, they're sexy. But do A5s suck at changing directions? Featherweights they ain't, but as a grand tourer the A5 should still handle well, right? I know Audis are complex and expensive, but CPO A5s have a pretty generous warranty, but will it be in the shop constantly?

I've never driven the base A5, only the V8 S5. It's an Audi -- it's big, it's heavy, and the weight distribution drives it towards understeer, but it's competent. It's never going to take FTD at the autox, and it needs a lot of upgrades to stand up to hard track day duty, but it's a really fun street car.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/31/15 2:03 p.m.

I have nothing all that useful to add other than I know what you mean. I see Audi 5's all over the place during my daily commute, so I am constantly thinking about a 2.0T 6 spd manual version as well. At about $40K for a base version, they're almost affordable brand new.

I suppose I'll go searching for CPO examples now... ...and after a bit a browsing it looks like one can expect to spend in the high 20's to low 30's for one a few years old. I like this '12 I found for $31K although the chrome wheels would have to go in short order:

http://www.nyaudi.com/certified/Audi/2012-Audi-A5-e9e3563a0a0a00654034284d5e3f028e.htm?model=A5

Or this one for $28K. Less miles too, although I like the Cinnamon interior of the other one:

http://www.audifairfield.com/certified/Audi/2012-Audi-A5-d96f21b40a0a0002143fcc39f1dd80dc.htm?model=A5

You definitely have to sift through a lot of automatic cars to find the manuals...

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
1/31/15 11:06 p.m.

I'm not that tall so I don't think height will be a problem. The A5 (~3600-3700lb) is only a little heavier than my Mustang and much lighter than the S5. It will probably never see a race track so fun street car works for me. There's three CPO manuals within a 50 mile radius of my house so while not thick on the ground they aren't impossible to find.

Thanks for giving me something to chew on with this car.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
2/2/15 9:43 p.m.

They are really nice and Stasis makes good power upgrades. The 2.0t does like to use oil however. Revised pistons help.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
7/14/16 2:47 p.m.

Giving this a bump.

These are on my radar for a DD replacement. It would never see a track day, see LOTS of highway time, and I'd be looking only at a 2.0T variant with a proper 6-speed. Probably a '13+ as it has the facelifted nose. I like that they're AWD given I live in west Michigan.

These cars are (IMO) gorgeous. The slightly bulged over-wheel lines give a quiet strength, and a subtle aggressiveness that has aged very well. I spent some time driving one last week and enjoyed it.

I could see a few mods (tune/exhaust/suspension/tires) to make it more sporty as an on-road GT, but I'd consider it a grand tourer first, and "sports" second.

Anybody else own one, have thoughts?

(S5 for giggles, but the S-line A5's get the same rocker trim, and rear diffuser, or can be added easy enough)

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
7/14/16 3:00 p.m.

Audi's tend to be very nice highway cruisers. They are quiet and will eat up the miles by the ton.

My experience is with a B5 based car (Passat, but they are Audi's under the skin). The 4-banger turbo's get fantastic gas mileage on the highway for a good sized car.

I hated the front suspension tendency to wear out on rough roads and lot's of the non-powertrain parts will give you fits, but the cars are pretty good, if they are maintained well. Don't buy a B5 though!!! (Pre-2001.5 Audi)

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
7/14/16 5:50 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: They are really nice and Stasis makes good power upgrades. The 2.0t does like to use oil however. Revised pistons help.

The piston/ring TSB was for 09-011 model years, anything newer should be fine on that front.

codrus
codrus SuperDork
7/14/16 5:52 p.m.

You really really want the V8. :)

skierd
skierd SuperDork
7/15/16 2:20 a.m.

Funny I was just thinking about one of these today to eventually replace the Subaru. AWD is a necessity where I live. I would love to have a convertible for the summer when it's 90 and sunny like it was today. And even better if I can get it with a stick shift and a back seat big enough to fit kids.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BMRat2mRlAHh2ttqg8USoMP3uaZI71TfEHgYgOhdh2W1kPZWH3rdAnWLbVwNfIDa