1 2 3
PistolRacer
PistolRacer
9/29/15 6:45 p.m.

AKA What Car thread #9,782,634.

I am a long time GRM lurker looking for perhaps a unicorn. I currently am commuting around 25k miles per year and will be for the next 4 years or so. I'm looking to replace my '01 Impala 3.8 with something less boring, more efficient, and not entirely used up (Impy is approaching 300k pretty quickly). Commute is primarily highway, 70-75 mph.

I'm looking for something less than 15 years old, perhaps between $2-4k, that I can squeeze mid 30s on the highway out of without spending a car payment a month in repairs on. I have assembled the following that I think could work:

Ecotec Cobalt (or Ion) - Wife had a 5 speed, it seemed to do everything ok and actually could get out of it's own way. I am leaning towards this. I'm not afraid of plastic interiors, and I have had great luck with GMs.

Another GM 3.8 (perhaps a Grand Prix?) - May not quite hit mileage target, but comfy. I'd want to add some bigger sway bars to help tighten it up.

Civic HX - easily surpasses MPG but will it ever be any fun?

Miata - (just because its the "answer", I really would appreciate a bigger trunk though)

P71 - (second "answer"? Won't hit mileage target)

Corolla? Saturn SC2? Saab 9-3?

I would want to improve cornering ability a bit on whatever I get, as I do occasionally travel some enjoyable roads, and would like to try autocross at some point. It would be hard for anything in this category to impress me in a straight line (only 4 cylinders I have owned have been Ninjas).

Am I totally out of line? Any sweet, cheap, reliable options I am overlooking? It seems like most of the Neons around me are no longer roadworthy. Not a big Ford fan but I suppose a Focus could work. I've had terrible luck with VWs. Lower operating/repair costs would mean potentially being able to get to something I'd want to drive sooner (maybe an LS2/T56 swapped RX8, or a SS/TC Cobalt).

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
9/29/15 6:52 p.m.

Five speed second generation neon. It'll hit the mileage easy, and is kinda fun to drive. Add springs, shocks, and swaybars. Then they are an absolute hoot.

SSATB
SSATB New Reader
9/29/15 6:56 p.m.

If your commute is primarily highway, look into a MY11 Mustang 3.7L manual. You may not be a Ford fan but, decent trunk size, RWD, one of the lightest weighing V6s, 300+hp, good torque, 30+mpg on highway and depreciated prices on MY11s is hard to pass up.

TheEnd
TheEnd New Reader
9/29/15 7:26 p.m.

P71 for sure.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
9/29/15 7:27 p.m.

My girlfriend's 05 Cobalt 5MT has been remarkably low maintenance and still manages 30+ MPG (less than when it was new). The suspension is going to get refreshed soon, but parts are cheap and it's an easy suspension to overhaul and upgrade (either the uprated GM parts or aftermarket). I haven't driven it much, but it didn't offend my driving sensibilities when I did.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
9/29/15 7:29 p.m.

My plan is usually something like this:

1) Buy Saturn Sx2 for $1200 with 100k on it.

2) Put 100k on it.

3) Sell for $1000.

You can do the same with a cheap Cobalt/Ion or Neon. All are decent fun if you mod the suspension a bit. The Saturn an the Neon will return damn close to 40mpg highway at those speeds, especially if modded.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/29/15 7:49 p.m.

Get the pedstrian Crown Vic for the numerically lower rear diff ratio so that you can get a higher mpg. Or the P71 with an axle swap. What does the Marader got in its rear?

PistolRacer
PistolRacer New Reader
9/29/15 10:37 p.m.

Unfortunately, the Mustang is out of this budget. I don't want to take on payments or full coverage insurance, so that will have to depreciate a bit more to fall into my price range.

Ok, so far it looks like 2 votes for Neon- which I wouldn't mind driving at all, but I am concerned with the reliability aspect of it. Other Dodges of that era I have been around have had electrical gremlins and such. I'm planning on purchasing something with around 100k miles on it and running it to 200 to 250k. I do like that there are tons of aftermarket support for the Neon, and that it makes decent power compared to some of the import offerings. I remember reading an article maybe back in 2005 or so on an all motor Neon in the 11s. Good power potential for sure.

2 votes for Crown Vic- which honestly, while it would be cool and have a huge trunk probably won't hit the mileage. Poking around ecomodder suggests even with aero and gears 30 would be the upper end of what I could expect. If I were to go that size/economy, I would probably pick up an S type Jag with the 4.2. I had one and it was a great car- kept it running with T-Bird parts.

2 for the Cobalt- I have to imagine it would be pretty fun as my wife's Ion was a blast. Also love that the car needed nothing but oil changes in the time she owned it. I took it for a week and wound up at 36 mpg for my commute driving it like I stole it. It sounds like the hot setup is a SS/TC front bar and a Powell Street or Hardcore bar out back, with the Powell springs. Honestly I have not found a ton on suspension setup for these.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
9/30/15 6:00 a.m.

If you're looking for something newer than a 2001 that's not totally used up and costs less than $4000, your options are really going to be limited.

You may be able to find a Mazda Protégé5 in that price range, but it may be higher mileage. Or the Protégé 4 door will definitely be in your budget, they're a freakin' hoot. I had a '99 (same generation up through 2003), and it was a lot of fun.

Cobalt isn't bad. I have an HHR, which is strongly related to the Cobalt. I drive 120 miles per day. MPG is right around 30-31, decent but not great handling.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
9/30/15 6:09 a.m.

Kia Spectra5 /thread

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
9/30/15 6:14 a.m.

Too bad you're against the idea of a VW. I'l selling a TDI with some light suspension mods that'll pull 50+ MPG on your commute.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
9/30/15 7:42 a.m.

The Powell suspension parts for Cobalt are wonderful. Powell springs are made by Hypercoil, top quality.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
9/30/15 7:48 a.m.

Sentra SE-R? Stupid easy to work on, manual, and pretty easily in the 30s for milage. Plus they don't hold their value well.

Only disadvantage would be that the aftermarket is a bit thin for them.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
9/30/15 8:05 a.m.

Mazda Protege5

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
9/30/15 8:22 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: My plan is usually something like this: 1) Buy Saturn Sx2 for $1200 with 100k on it. 2) Put 100k on it. 3) Sell for $1000. That resembles my plan to a T.
bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta New Reader
9/30/15 9:54 a.m.

How about a '98-'02 Accord?

The S-series Saturn is a great short-commute car, but I wouldn't want to spend 25K miles per year in one. The Ion is quieter and more comfortable, but less fun than the S-series and has that stupid center-mounted instrument panel. I've never driven a Cobalt, but I'd go Cobalt > Ion because you don't live where rust is a problem, and the IP is in the right place.

RX8driver
RX8driver New Reader
9/30/15 9:55 a.m.

Ford Focus. I've got an 05 ZX3 manual and I've gotten up to about 36mpg from it and it's a pretty decent handling car, although mine does have the rear sway bar, which is supposedly only available on the SES trim, but mine's a base S model. I also added the SVT shocks and springs for around $300 to replace the worn, squeaking stock pieces, which also helps. If you're against Fords, just remember that the Duratecs are actually a Mazda design.

PistolRacer
PistolRacer New Reader
9/30/15 10:21 a.m.

I looked at the Protege5 and Proteges on CL. People must like them a lot, because they seem somewhat proud of them compared to a lot of the others on this list. I haven't found any suitable Spectra5s in my area.

There are slew of Sentra SER's available around me. Most seem to be automatics, but a decent manual very likely could be a great option.

I don't know about the Accord... my brother in law's '98 had the block crack just after 100k miles. I had to swap in a low mileage '02 motor to keep the oil and coolant separate. Civic HX mpg is so tempting but I'm afraid I would get bored of driving it.

It looks like no love for the Corolla. My sister had an auto, and while it was a snooze to drive I averaged 38 for a tank in mixed traffic/highway driving. With a stick and some suspension would it be tolerable?

I'll take a closer look at the Focus (Foci?). I'm still perhaps a month out from pulling the trigger, but I want to see my options and read up. Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
9/30/15 10:36 a.m.

Proud of Protege's meaning asking too much?

I'll let my 2002 go for $1,500. Needs the refurb alternator installed.

It's got Mazdaspeed springs, GR2, Brembo blanks, B&M short shifter with bronze bushings and a bunch of things like HID conversion, Hella dual tone horns etc. Needs a weekends worth of tidying up.

rcutclif
rcutclif Dork
9/30/15 10:52 a.m.

e36 e46?

30 mpg highway can be a stretch for them but I am sure they can get close if you drive right.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane HalfDork
9/30/15 10:55 a.m.

You can find earlier Mazda 3s (i.e.: Proteges made after 2004) in that price range. In my experience, they're reliable as anvils, very cheap to repair if anything does go wrong and entertaining enough to drive, even with the smaller engines.

We owned my wife's 05 Mazda3 from 30k to 199k over 10 years, and the only non-maintenance thing I did to it was rear lower control arm bushings and a "line-in" add-on to the stereo. It was probably in need of shocks again (I did them at 120k).

My coworker bought it from me and his kid promptly wrecked it, but they're planning on rebuilding it. In the meantime, he just picked up what looks to be a pretty minty 06 with the 2.3l engine and 120k for I believe 2800.

If you do go this route with the 2.3l engine, plan on doing the rear engine mount every 100k (unless you spring for a "good" one), that's the only weak point I know about, it takes about a half hour to do.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
9/30/15 11:06 a.m.

What about an RSX? Newer than an Integra (which falls outside your MY window), but good handling, reliable, and decent power (great manual trans too).

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
9/30/15 11:07 a.m.

Ain't nothing wrong with the Corolla/Prizm twins, but they aren't very sporty. I had a 5spd Prizm, and fuel mileage was awesome. Rock solid reliability.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
9/30/15 11:26 a.m.

Definitely test drive a Mazda3, a Mazda Protege/323 (aka the FWD Miata). They are all fun to drive and the interiors are pretty nice.

I'd sooner look at an RSX than a Civic but any Honda will be about the same

92dxman
92dxman Dork
9/30/15 3:04 p.m.

Corollas make good commuters and there are suspension goodies out there for you but you are going to pay the Toyota tax for one.

I'd say go with a Cobalt or Ion. It is a devil you are familiar with and Tire Rack has suspension parts for them.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lhfup6HmVs0qz7iTE5yk1BtzSQLBLtc6ptr6mjNxfLuXJOcauJ1ftbnWlUKFVxl3