1 2 3
GTwannaB
GTwannaB HalfDork
10/26/15 2:51 p.m.

Hmm, vaguely remember something about the later model first gen Foci not all having rear sway bars leading to sometimes needing to swap rear trailing arms. Also something about SVT rear trailing arms being reinforced around the sway bar contact points.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
10/27/15 9:34 p.m.
If it were me, I'd go for the ultimate sleeper, the Honda Accord Sport: You avoid the sports car tax, and this is a wolf in sheep's clothing

I know this is only vaguely relevant to this thread anymore but i wanted to contest that point.. Those 6th gen Accord 3.0s are not fast, and aren't available with a manual (unless you get the 4cyl), and i wouldnt consider them any kind of sleeper. The NEXT generation of accord coupe IS fast with either trans and a real sleeper, but those ones arent. They'll run like 16.2@86 on a good day, vs 14.2@97 or something like that for the 7g v6 coupe (6spd).

RX8driver
RX8driver New Reader
10/28/15 8:53 a.m.
GTwannaB wrote: Hmm, vaguely remember something about the later model first gen Foci not all having rear sway bars leading to sometimes needing to swap rear trailing arms. Also something about SVT rear trailing arms being reinforced around the sway bar contact points.

With the 05-07's, only the SES and ST (sedan only) trims were supposed to have rear sway bars, but my ZX3 S has one and it's even mentioned on the window sticker like an option. The rear sway bar cars also get larger front sway bars compared to the non rear sway bar cars, and those bars are only slightly smaller than the SVT ones, with the rear maybe even being the same size, but my memory's foggy on that one. The non sway bar subframe is different (no mounts) and might not have been alignment adjustable. There are mounting kits to put sway bars on those subframes though, so all is not lost, it'll just cost a few extra bucks. No idea on the control arms though.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
10/28/15 11:18 a.m.

From my travels in the Focus forums, the rear arms are only an issues with the really big RSBs, are otherwise usually fine.

A lot of guys on the FF forum seem to shy away from the omni kit and by choice limit their options, but by using them the full range of parts/years are available.

I've been a fan of the Focus since the first time I rode in one, lively little buggers (chassis wise), and my son's 2000 with springs/bars/poly front/KYB's is a great driving car.

PistolRacer
PistolRacer New Reader
10/28/15 4:29 p.m.

I hate to admit it but I haven't even looked under the car yet. It's parked offsite until I get it transferred/registered. If it doesn't have a RSB I can either install the Steeda kit and weld it, fabricate some sort of brackets, or pull an older subframe from the JY. I have a MIG setup so it shouldn't be hard to weld up. I could box or reinforce the LCAs as well depending on which rear bar I go with.

I've been agonizing over spring/shock selection. SVT and Omni kit seems like a steal, and probably the right stiffness for a DD, but I have heard good things about the ZXM1 "Spec" Focus springs paired with the ZX3B (06-07 "SVT" replacements). Finding new parts is a bit tough, but Ebay seems to have some.

Looking at the different setups it seems like the Saleen Focus made more G's and made it through slalom better than the SVT (if the magazines can be trusted), but I am not sure how much of that was tires or other factors. Saleen kit isn't in production, and the specs that I found for it don't seem to match current Eibach setup.

I probably won't start upgrading until December anyway... so many decisions!

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/28/15 8:00 p.m.

I am surprised nobody mentioned Hyundai. The Accent and Elantra can easily hit your targets and be cheap to run and buy. As people still think of the ill fated Excel in regards to Hyundai, the buy in for a very decent Hyundai is usually less than that of even the cheapest comparable car from Japan.

While the Accent -is- a compact and cheap car, the Elantra is more "grown up" with a better interior, a better engine, and a surprisingly decent suspension. While it may not be the car to take to the Dragon, it can keep up with almost anything else out there in it's class and slightly above.

petegans
petegans New Reader
10/30/15 9:52 a.m.

The 99-03 Protege is a great car for the price handling-wise (they go for $2k all the time in classifieds and Craigslist), however you probably won't see 40 MPG. Also the rear quarters rust out at 90k (ask me how I know).

PistolRacer
PistolRacer New Reader
11/24/15 2:24 p.m.

As an update, for anyone following along... I think I'm going back to the drawing board. Focus is extremely buzzy at SoCal highway speeds, loud enough that I can't take a call even with Bluetooth. Mileage is working out to 32 a tank. The old Impala would do 27 at the same speed in far more comfort. It's tossable and fun on backroads, but that's such a small fraction of the miles I will put on it.

50/50 split between picking up a manual insight for pure MPG, or picking up another land yacht (GM 3.8 or maybe even an LS400). Relaxing the mileage requirement for comfort/quiet... now I just have to sell the Focus.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
11/24/15 9:37 p.m.

GM 3.8 or Maxima! The LS400 is going to max out at 26mpg highway AFAIK.

jrh2009
jrh2009 New Reader
11/25/15 11:51 a.m.

This is a wildcard suggestion, but I was in this same situation a couple of months ago. Needing a cheap, beater that was halfway enjoyable to drive for my 100 mile/day round trip work commute.

I ended up with a 150k mile,5 speed, 97 Celica ST. Cold air, 1.8 engine from the corolla, and dirt cheap running costs and parts. I know its almost 20 years old, but they seem pretty reliable still.

I dont have any delusions of it being a high performance car by any means, but it is fun to drive. 110 hp and economy 15 inch tires means youre at its performance limits pretty quicky anyway. That whole "slow car fast" thing and all.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
11/25/15 1:37 p.m.

Yup, Focuses are the definition of buzzy tin cans. Sorry it didn't work out, a comfy driver with slightly less MPG might be your best bet. Don't get something too powerful, though, as you won't be able to keep your foot out of it and your MPG will suffer accordingly.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
11/25/15 2:02 p.m.

Here's a Nissan Sentra SE R Spec V not too far from you (NMNA)

San Diego CL: Nissan Sentra SE R Spec V

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
11/25/15 2:06 p.m.

Or if you're feeling more adventurous, E46 3 series http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5324872159.html

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
11/28/15 9:20 a.m.

Sorry to hear that you're not happy with it. If you're regularly doing 70-80 mph(?), anything 4cyl will probably be too noisy, due to the gearing generally being shorter for more acceptable acceleration at slower speeds compared to a 6cyl. I'd suggest looking at the gearing of whatever you consider going forward, looking towards keeping cruising rpm down to help with the noise.

My typical speeds are more around 60 for highways where I am and at those speeds I find mine to be decently quiet.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
11/28/15 1:16 p.m.

Cobalt XFE? http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/ctd/5304005022.html

You could probably throw some suspension goodies on it if wanted.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
11/28/15 8:33 p.m.
RX8driver wrote: Sorry to hear that you're not happy with it. If you're regularly doing 70-80 mph(?), anything 4cyl will probably be too noisy, due to the gearing generally being shorter for more acceptable acceleration at slower speeds compared to a 6cyl. I'd suggest looking at the gearing of whatever you consider going forward, looking towards keeping cruising rpm down to help with the noise. My typical speeds are more around 60 for highways where I am and at those speeds I find mine to be decently quiet.

I disagree.

A 4 banger Camry is still very quiet at 80mph.

PistolRacer
PistolRacer New Reader
11/30/15 12:50 p.m.

There are some interesting options local to me here... the 3 series would definitely be more fun to drive, although I would be concerned about maintenance costs over the next 100k miles. Cobalt XFE could be good as well, as it is geared better for the freeway.

I think if I had picked up a 2.3 with the lower (numerically) final drive it might have been doable, but the 2.0 just spins too much with the gearing it has. A Fusion or Mercury Milan might be quieter, but I will have to look and see how they are geared.

In the short run, I think I will sell the Focus and drive the Impala until it quits, or until something else comes along that I can't pass up.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
11/30/15 3:00 p.m.

Odd about the Focus. My 2000 ZX2SR would cruise nicely at 70-80 mph at below 3k rpm.

Now my '13 Fiesta with the dual clutch transmission cruises at 80 with the only noise is wind and tire. Yo can't hear the engine.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/30/15 4:14 p.m.
PistolRacer wrote: As an update, for anyone following along... I think I'm going back to the drawing board. Focus is extremely buzzy at SoCal highway speeds, loud enough that I can't take a call even with Bluetooth. Mileage is working out to 32 a tank. The old Impala would do 27 at the same speed in far more comfort. It's tossable and fun on backroads, but that's such a small fraction of the miles I will put on it.

Was reading through this thread and came to the Foci suggestions, and was thinking to myself that it would drive me crazy on the highway. Only thing I like about the wife's Corolla more than my friends Focus is that you can actually have a conversation at highway speeds in the Corolla.

PistolRacer wrote: 50/50 split between picking up a manual insight for pure MPG, or picking up another land yacht (GM 3.8 or maybe even an LS400). Relaxing the mileage requirement for comfort/quiet... now I just have to sell the Focus.

If you're keeping the Impala, why not get the best of both worlds and get a SAAB? Sure, you're rolling the dice, but it will reliably do 30MPG or better (I had 36 once with a tailwind on an extended trip with no traffic, can't remember how fast I was going), it is reasonably fun to drive with the stick, and it is super spacious and comfy. You can find reasonably nice ones for $2k around here, not sure about in CA.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
11/30/15 6:25 p.m.

Drivers of large cars with lots of insulation and then go to an economy car with a small engine and minimum insulation get a rude awakening.

Again, funny the Zetec, which was in a lot of Focus's, was not at all noisy in my ZX2SR, inside the car.

I have driven a few with the later engines and didn't find them noisy. I think it is all in the ear of the beholder. Guess it's because I am used to small Fords.

jere
jere HalfDork
11/30/15 9:36 p.m.

My solution to a noisy car is simply 2¢ a pair ear plugs. Makes any car 30db quieter while retaining all the other benefits of a smaller car. Lightweight too

PistolRacer
PistolRacer New Reader
8/25/17 1:12 p.m.

I know this is an ancient thread, but I had a new development that I felt was relevant to share. I feel the need to apologize to Focuses everywhere.

I took the buzzsaw Focus in to my mechanic for a new AC condenser, and he told me my passenger side motor mount was trashed. New OEM mount, and boom, normal car. The noise was everything resonating due to the blown mount. It's not super quiet like my Jaguar was, but the volume level is definitely acceptable. I can now take a call on bluetooth.

He also nearly has me talked into the full SVT suspension kit. Now that I don't hate the car I might just go for it.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/25/17 3:32 p.m.

I feel like im just an ass now because i probably could have told you this last time, but those motors mounts are common to cause harshness in Focii. I usually just slide a floor jack under that end of the engine, lift up just a little, and if the vibes go way down, passenger mount. It's a dramatic demonstration if you do it in front of the owner.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
8/25/17 10:24 p.m.

Yup, I've done bunches of those mounts, they usually come off in multiple pieces. But for me, the new mount still doesn't help much and it feels the same. I'm just not a Focus fan. I'm glad it worked out for you though! The SVT suspension would make things pretty fun, I'm sure!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YI1ttYzycUFRAj9chIn050Yj5KHLhv8p4C8lKOeAEC4KVBtPYkFLEvaA7CoEMaHS