7/2/22 6:23 p.m.

Alain De Cadet has passed away

Alain De Cadenet, Racer, Reporter, Raconteur, Has Died

He started racing as a way to meet women, then found he liked the cars, too

BY MARK VAUGHN

JUL 3, 2022

cartier 'travel with style' concours day 1

PASCAL LE SEGRETAINGETTY IMAGES

Alain de Cadenet, who found success as an amateur sports car racer and went on to fame as a television host in several series about great old race cars, has passed away at 77.

De Cadenet raced sports cars from the 1960s to early ‘80s.

“I was invited to Brands Hatch by a friend of mine who was racing there, and I had never been to a motor race in my life,” he told Classic Driver. “I had a rather cracking model girlfriend, so I took her down with me. She disappeared—apparently she went off with some guy who was a racing driver, so I thought I’d better go motor racing. Although I got into it because I thought it would be a great way to get with women, I started to rather enjoy the racing.”

So he started racing sports cars. It was at a time when innovative privateers still stood a chance of beating the increasingly well-funded factory teams. He was one of the few drivers from any era who built and raced their own cars. De Cadenet drove at Le Mans numerous times, finishing as high as third in 1976 in his own De Cadenet-Lola T380 Ford-Cosworth. He raced that car in the 24 Hours of Le Mans from ‘75 to ‘79 then switched to another De Cadenet, a Lola LM Ford-Cosworth. He also piloted two Cougars and a Porsche 956 at Le Sarthe. He drove a car listed as a Duckhams LM 72—with sponsorship from Duckhams Oil—to a 12th-place finish at Le Mans in 1972 after getting Gordon Murray to design the car. In 1980 he and co-driver Desiré Wilson, one of only five women to have ever raced in F1, won two rounds of the World Sports Car Championship, beating several factory teams at the Monza 1000 Kilometers and the Silverstone 6 Hours. 

alain de cadenet

The young racer and his Duckhams LM 72.

EVENING STANDARDGETTY IMAGES

De Cadenet is best known for his television work, where he brought not only his handsome visage to the screen, but a lifetime’s accumulated knowledge of—and passion for—sports cars. He hosted shows for The Speed Channel and ESPN, among others, and may be best known for the shows Legends of Motorsport and Victory by Design

His interests were wide and varied, ranging from stamp collecting, of all things, to fine wine and vintage airplanes. If you ever want to pick yourself up in times of trouble, watch the clip where Alain de Cadenet is almost run down by a Spitfire, or this one of de Cadenet slamming on the brakes in his Ferrari.

De Cadenet made many friends over the years, among them, the great racer Brian Redman, who shared a hospital room with de Cadenet after both crashed in the Targa Florio in 1970. In a recent note to de Cadenet, Redman, who could have been speaking for so many of us, thanked de Cadenet for his lifetime of friendship.

"...just wanted to let you know how much I have valued our friendship over so many years. You have had an amazing life! Everyone loves you."

We should all have such good friends. And through his many television appearances and over his long racing career, many of us felt like we knew him. Godspeed Alain.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
7/2/22 6:35 p.m.

NSFW, but some of his finest work.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
7/2/22 6:38 p.m.

"Ooo-Zee-ay tyres..."

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
7/2/22 7:34 p.m.

Awww damn.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
7/2/22 7:36 p.m.

Extreme class act period RIP

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
7/2/22 8:09 p.m.

Pour one out for one of the greats. 

As an influential teen watching Victory by Design was formative. 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/2/22 8:45 p.m.

That accent. I can hear it.

I'm getting old.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/2/22 10:24 p.m.

Geeze. He seemed to be in good health.  You never know when your time is up.  

EDIT

Just did a little googling and see he was 77.  I loved his series, Victory by Design.  It also said he got into racing to meet chicks.  

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
7/2/22 11:27 p.m.

I had the pleasure to sit at the same bar table with both Alain and Peter Egan. I asked him about that above video, and he said that he only knew to duck after he saw the cameraman do so. They weren't completely wrong to do so, because the propeller swing radius of some of those big radials can be huge.

I enjoyed hearing him say how much he enjoyed flying his small biplane from one small town airport to the next across the United States. This chance meeting happened at the 2007 national Lotus meet in Colorado and I count myself lucky to have been there. I co-rode with the owner in a Lotus Esprit from San Diego to the event and back. Good times.

In this article, https://www.autoweek.com/racing/more-racing/a40489415/alain-de-cadenet-obit/ it says that he built his own cars. Is that true? I was too in awe to mention Kimini, my mid-engine MIni. Of course I can now add him to the list of famous people I could have had real conversations with had I not been so shy, including Paul Newman and John Wayne... but I'm over that, really.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/3/22 12:11 a.m.

I remember him on a Jay Leno video where they were talking about some hairy chested Brit bike, and he told a good story about breaking his leg trying to start it when it kicked back.

I really enjoyed his cheerful style.  He seemed like a most excellent upper class British twit if the year competitor.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/3/22 9:29 a.m.

Well that sux.  I really miss his show with old cars on a closed road.  Not museum stuff where you look but can't touch, here but you get to hear them on the pipe at full boil.   Wonderful.  A life well lived, RIP.  =~ (

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/3/22 11:15 a.m.

A friend of mine had a VHS recording of a show he did back in the 80s where he showed various vintage sports cars like Bugattis, Ferraris, C-type Jags, etc. We used to watch it over and over, it was one of the things that made me a car guy.

RIP, Alain.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/3/22 11:38 a.m.
kb58 said:

I had the pleasure to sit at the same bar table with both Alain and Peter Egan.

I'd be hard pressed to think of any famous people I'd rather share a bar table with.  Imagine the stories those two could tell.

trumant
trumant Reader
7/3/22 12:55 p.m.

Any ideas on where to watch Victory by Design in halfway decent quality?

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
7/3/22 4:54 p.m.

Somewhere in heaven, there's an open road, winding through a peaceful forest. The sun is shining, the air is cool and crisp. Off in the distance, a Ferrari V12 makes it's presence known, the sound swelling and fading, the blip of the throttle on a downshift, the howl of tires happy at the limit. Over a rise the car appears, the driver impeccably attired, goggles, cap, scarf, etc. A huge smile across his face, he grabs another gear, winks, and waves as he flies past in a rush of wind, noise, and speed.

RIP, sir.   

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
7/3/22 5:31 p.m.

I first become aware of him when the were talking about his daughter the actress and her race car driving father.........my thought was who is this guy I've never heard of him.

His sense of sense of fun was immeasurable.

A life well lived for sure.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/3/22 5:34 p.m.
trumant said:

Any ideas on where to watch Victory by Design in halfway decent quality?

If you can find a set of the DVDs, that's probably your best bet, but they are OOP.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
7/3/22 6:32 p.m.
earlybroncoguy1 said:

Somewhere in heaven, there's an open road, winding through a peaceful forest. The sun is shining, the air is cool and crisp. Off in the distance, a Ferrari V12 makes it's presence known, the sound swelling and fading, the blip of the throttle on a downshift, the howl of tires happy at the limit. Over a rise the car appears, the driver impeccably attired, goggles, cap, scarf, etc. A huge smile across his face, he grabs another gear, winks, and waves as he flies past in a rush of wind, noise, and speed....

... with an unfastened seatbelt at his side. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
7/3/22 6:33 p.m.

^That always bugged me more than a little. 

miatafan
miatafan Reader
7/3/22 7:12 p.m.

In reply to trumant :

Looks like Vudu or Amazon Prime with a VPN to change the country.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/3/22 8:21 p.m.
1SlowVW said:

Pour one out for one of the greats. 

As an influential teen watching Victory by Design was formative. 

Indeed.

A friend and I were talking about that show, and he remarked that he thought it odd that de Cadenet was sort of grinning/grimacing while driving a certain car.... and then he realized that he could not open his mouth while driving the windscreenless car without getting teeth full of bugs.

One of the greats.

/hoo-see-ay

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
7/4/22 9:40 a.m.

That's sad to hear. One of the best things on Speed Channel during those years was Victory by Design. You can find Alain doing some stuff on Petrolocious on YouTube from a few years back. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
7/4/22 4:10 p.m.

Sad to hear I always enjoyed watching him on tv with victory by design,Barrett Jackson,or his racing commentary for speed aswell. His racing accomplishments as a privateer are very impressive considering  the factory opposition he was against. Definitely I live very well lived.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
7/5/22 11:48 a.m.

In reply to trumant :

I may be able to help, shoot me a PM.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
7/5/22 3:28 p.m.

Man, Victory By Design was the best. I could listen to Alain talk about old sports/race cars for days. RIP indeed. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gWEpMKaLhQAoMyQRWlJuwrtuXdv5duPhajdO3abAslV2rXj3gCEbjXt4iSpLFUeV