1 2 3 4
alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
5/20/09 9:29 a.m.
JohnW wrote: I think the Alfa is more classic and certainly more exclusive. Despite those intangibles, the Miata is pretty much better in every way. The deal breaker for me? I rarely see Alfa Spiders for sale that have more than 100k miles. That worries me.

When the Miata hits 40, then lets see how many high mileage cars are still on the road.

Cars wear out.

When looking at old cars, how many 100k '60's mustangs do you see? Or 100k 70's BMW's? Or decent RX7's with 100k? It's all relative.

My car has 130k on it. A friend has something like 400k on his GTV6. Once Alfa stopped selling the cars, most of them stopped being used every day- plain and simple.

There are tons of Miatas out there with less than 100k on them, since their owners have them as toys, too. I bought my '95 in 1997 with 5,000 miles on it. And then put 40k on it in two years before getting my '99 new.

Still, the raw decision here is emotion vs. logic.

Good logic will tell you to get a Miata. Emotion tells you to get the Spider. You have to figure out which wins.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
5/20/09 12:56 p.m.

a saying I once heard.

The Germans invented the car the Americans made it cheap and disposable the Japanese designed it to be reliable and the Italians taught it to sing and dance.

I have driven a LOT of days (maybe not as much as some here) with everything from big block Pontiacs to an 850cc Sprite.. All have their place, but the car I chose to make "my project" is italian for a reason. Nothing compares to what the italians were able to do to a car.

They may not be the fastest, most reliable, or even all the pretty in some cases.. but all of them are like a moody and beautiful italian woman. They speak with a wonderful accent, and when they want to play, nothing is as willing a partner.. but when they want to be left alone, nothing you can do will get them to go.

Choose wisely

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
5/20/09 1:22 p.m.

Agree with much of what's said here. The Miata is the car you will drive, the Alfa is the car you will experience. And I mean that in a good way.

I'd rather have my last Fiat Spider back than any Miata (short of a V8 converted one..lol!).

And while I personally woudl love to have an early Alfa like this:

I think I could have a lot of fun modding a later car like this:

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
5/20/09 1:25 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: Agree with much of what's said here. The Miata is the car you will drive, the Alfa is the car you will experience. And I mean that in a good way. I'd rather have my last Fiat Spider back than any Miata (short of a V8 converted one..lol!). And while I personally woudl love to have an early Alfa like this: I think I could have a lot of fun modding a later car like this:

Stunningly enough, outside of the engine controls, most of the mod parts on a '69 Duetto will bolt right onto a '94- Springs, chassis, brakes, etc. (and that second car you pictured is VERY modified whith those wheels and fenders...)

E-

willy19592
willy19592 Reader
5/20/09 1:50 p.m.

hehe My Sons first Convertible was an alfa, I cant remember him ever looking prouder, or happier as when I took him to pick it up. It sits in the corner of the shop now, he just doesnt have the time it takes to keep it running nice..

Of course the 2 cars in the front of the picture, kinda tells ya why! he preps both his, and his Girlfriends race car, mostly by him self.

kreb
kreb Dork
5/20/09 2:18 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: Agree with much of what's said here. The Miata is the car you will drive, the Alfa is the car you will experience. And I mean that in a good way. I'd rather have my last Fiat Spider back than any Miata (short of a V8 converted one..lol!).

What sentimentalist tripeIMO the Duetto stands well above it's later versions. It's like Liz Taylor. Stunning in her prime. Then tapered off till she's hanging out with bleached-skin pop stars - a shadow of her former self.

two great pics though. Anyone else notice that there's room enough for a transverse-mounted middie engine there? Now that's something to get excited about! Did Alfa make any FWDs that would be a good donor?

johnhammer
johnhammer New Reader
5/20/09 2:20 p.m.

I too fell in love with a Redheaded Italian; an '87 Alfa Milano Platinum. Swoon! I bought her for $2200. Then the engine blew. Then the rear brakes froze up. The exhaust rusted. The electronics went on the fritz.

It always looked great, and when it ran it was one of the sweetest cars I've ever owned. But the key word is "when" it ran.

Ironically, I'm now on my 5th Miata (3 street cars & 2 Spec Miatas).

I had over $7,000 wrapped up in my Alfa when I tallied all the receipts (in 3 years)...I sold it for $1,500 & was thrilled that someone took it from me.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
5/20/09 2:58 p.m.
kreb wrote:
Chris_V wrote: Agree with much of what's said here. The Miata is the car you will drive, the Alfa is the car you will experience. And I mean that in a good way. I'd rather have my last Fiat Spider back than any Miata (short of a V8 converted one..lol!).
What sentimentalist tripe

Lol! of course, I only sold my last Spider 2 years ago, so it's not like some long ago memory.

I just wish it hadn't been a big bumper car. But it only originally cost me $100 to buy and drive home, so...

Keith
Keith SuperDork
5/20/09 4:12 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
JohnW wrote: I think the Alfa is more classic and certainly more exclusive. Despite those intangibles, the Miata is pretty much better in every way. The deal breaker for me? I rarely see Alfa Spiders for sale that have more than 100k miles. That worries me.
When the Miata hits 40, then lets see how many high mileage cars are still on the road.

Well, at the 20th anniversary party for the Miata, there was one there with 513,000 miles. The car's proving to be pretty darn long-lived. The number of them that are second cars help keep the supply of relatively low mileage cars surprisingly high as well.

Thank goodness.

Clarty
Clarty New Reader
5/20/09 4:49 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Besides, the choice he's trying to make is an Alfa Spider vs. a Miata. Eric

Not necessarily, boss. The Miata & Alfa were just the most obvious choices in my little cartoon bubble. I also like the X1/9, but wonder if 1.3 liters is sufficient to propel a couple aging fatties in a sportscar-like fashion.

Not to blow the discussion wide open, but I like everything from Karmann Ghias (not a real sports car) to Spitfires. Most British stuff is too old (and too British), in my opinion, to be dependable DDs. Other stuff, like 914s, is as well.

I'm mainly wanting an open sports car with rear-wheel drive. That eliminates 944s and "sporty" cars like Sciroccos and Preludes. BMW Z3s are interesting as well, but perhaps too much $$$ even for the 4-cylinder first-year cars.

The Fiat idea is interesting; I've always preferred Alfa's styling, though.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
5/20/09 6:51 p.m.

well, you can get fiat 124s up to 1985.5 and the X 1/9 with the 1.5 up to about 1988.

Not so sure when the alfa spider finally died...

Personally, if I was going to buy a modern roadster, it would probably be the Z3 1.9

shbsn
shbsn New Reader
5/20/09 8:09 p.m.

Well, I had an '84 Alfa spider a few years ago, and now I have a nicely modded '92 Miata. The Miata handles better, is a little faster. You know you'll reach your destination without drama or turmoil when you drive it. It's more comfortable too, without the funky ergos. It's got better electrics, a wider variety of aftermarket parts, and will probably never give me any serious problems.

I'd trade it for my old Alfa without a second thought.

willy19592
willy19592 Reader
5/20/09 8:50 p.m.

kreb
kreb Dork
5/20/09 10:13 p.m.

Ooh, a '67 low-windshield. What's that worth? 15K or so?

VERY underated in 2000 form.

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
5/21/09 6:50 a.m.
Clarty wrote:
alfadriver wrote: Besides, the choice he's trying to make is an Alfa Spider vs. a Miata. Eric
Not necessarily, boss. The Miata & Alfa were just the most obvious choices in my little cartoon bubble. I also like the X1/9, but wonder if 1.3 liters is sufficient to propel a couple aging fatties in a sportscar-like fashion. Not to blow the discussion wide open, but I like everything from Karmann Ghias (not a real sports car) to Spitfires. Most British stuff is too old (and too British), in my opinion, to be dependable DDs. Other stuff, like 914s, is as well. I'm mainly wanting an open sports car with rear-wheel drive. That eliminates 944s and "sporty" cars like Sciroccos and Preludes. BMW Z3s are interesting as well, but perhaps too much $$$ even for the 4-cylinder first-year cars. The Fiat idea is interesting; I've always preferred Alfa's styling, though.

Wow, you sure have your work cut out for you. I bascially call any "classic" car a emotional choice, and trying to choose between them is tough, if you are not somewhat attached to one particular marque. Since I have a tighter bond with Alfa, I choose it, but do love all the cars you list.

And I don't belive that small British classics can't make decen DD's. If you drive isn't on a major freeway for a long time, they should do just fine, too. Every one of the cars can be updated WRT the wiring, and 40 years of developing fixes for various issues has taken care of many ills- for instance, the SPICA on the Alfa isn't anything to worry about anymore, since there are enough experts out there on it.

The hard part is finding the RIGHT one.

Before choosing ANYTHING- at least go drive them and make sure you fit. All of your choices have their own character, heck, the Alfa may not "fit" you, and the Fiat may.

Good luck, it should be a fun search!!!

Eric

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
5/21/09 7:20 a.m.

I was this " close to buying Erics old Alfa until I had a chance to sit in one and realized I was, how do the French say it... Oh yes, "A big fat lazy American pig".

Crushed that dream.

porschenut
porschenut New Reader
5/21/09 7:29 a.m.

If you want to drive any time any where get the Miata. If you want to look good and get noticed, get the Alfa. Come on, just buy both!

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
5/21/09 9:30 a.m.
Chris_V wrote:
kreb wrote:
What sentimentalist tripe
Lol! of course, I only sold my last Spider 2 years ago, so it's not like some long ago memory. I just wish it hadn't been a big bumper car. But it only originally cost me $100 to buy and drive home, so...

As I recall, chris, it didn't look that nice when you brought it home!!!

Joey

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
11/20/20 2:17 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

very wrong , alfa romeo spiders have   4 x 108 or 4 x4 1/4  do your homework first

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
11/20/20 2:23 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver : add to this.. the alfa spider has more room inside for the driver and passanger........ and a bigger boot.... you can put your purse in the boot of a maita wink  but you can go on a vacation trip in a alfa spider

tomtomgt356 (FS)
tomtomgt356 (FS) Reader
11/20/20 6:11 a.m.

Looks of the Alfa + Reliability of Miata = Miata rollerskate in Alfa body!

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
11/20/20 7:39 a.m.

Love the Fiata from Iapanese engineering.  Somehow they just gave it more...

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/20/20 7:42 a.m.

People, this is an 11 year old thread.  How did it pop back up again?

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/20/20 9:32 a.m.
Alfaromeoguy said:

very wrong , alfa romeo spiders have   4 x 108 or 4 x4 1/4  do your homework first

If you are going to call me out on something i said 11 years ago, please be a little nicer about it.  

JAdams
JAdams New Reader
11/20/20 9:51 a.m.
Alfaromeoguy said:

Is a 4201 day bump a new record?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QZGlq8f2WyUnZnsTEPSZ22jrZ7J3VdsPzIlzwt0Zrx5uuJzLE8g4sN286H6mUfjq