1 2
aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
2/14/12 12:50 p.m.

Thank You

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
2/14/12 4:51 p.m.

Would love to have the Alfa. Would rather have the tii on a daily basis.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
2/14/12 6:38 p.m.

everyone seems to think you cannot DD an italian car. I have always begged to differ. If you do the recommended maintance, they are no more unreliable than any other car. I daily drove several fiats for years

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
2/14/12 8:44 p.m.

2002 for me. If it was a fight between a 2002 and an Alfa GTA then I'd change my vote.

Looks like I'm way in the minority on this one.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
2/14/12 9:45 p.m.

I have a Range Rover, the Alfa is very basic by comparison

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
2/14/12 10:09 p.m.

A gtv6 is no more complicated than an e30, I would say they are pretty close to the same level as far as the amour of work it takes to keep one on the road.

20stone
20stone New Reader
8/13/15 8:25 a.m.

I have had the pleasure of owning and driving both of these. The 2002tii is a fully restored, family owned car that is now daily driven, and the GTV-6 was a basketcase that was turned into a ChumpCar. The answer to the question (though it was answered 3 years ago) really depends on what charms you.

The Alfa - This car was a blast to drive on the track. We had it set up the right amount of tail-happy and it had great power and a glorious sound. However, whoever put the trans, the diff, the (inboard) rear brakes and the exhaust all in the same place wasn't really thinking about heat management or reliability. We ended up rebuilding the transaxle every race just for extra reliability, along with replacing the wheel bearings. Who would have thought that a 30 year old Italian car would be a poor choice for endurance racing. On top of that, the design, while pretty unique, is truly the ugly sister to the GTV (a beautiful contemporary to the 2002tii). That being said, everyone on our team still misses that car, and would love to have it back.

The 2002tii - The 2002tii doesn't have the same power as the GTV-6, but is ten years older and 2/3 the displacement. The Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection pump is an engineering marvel, providing precise volumes of gasoline using a physical fuel map (with RPM and throttle position as inputs). On top of that, I get stopped several times a week by folks that tell me their 2002 story. However it starts, it always ends, "I really loved that car."

My vote, after the ballots have long been counted - 2002tii

One last note, the 2002tii in the initial image underwent a heavily and well documented restoration, here: http://www.my2002tii.com/

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
8/13/15 7:01 p.m.

GTV6 for me.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
8/13/15 9:41 p.m.

BMW

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/13/15 10:02 p.m.

Zoombie, just a like a 30 year old Italian endurance car...

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
8/14/15 6:27 a.m.
racerdave600 wrote: GTV6 The Alfa is like the hot girl next door, where the 2002 is like your aunt Mildred.

Hey, my Aunt Mildred is really hot! I pick BMW. If it was a GTA..............then a whole different story.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
8/14/15 8:44 a.m.

Two thousand 2-wicked for me please.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
8/14/15 9:02 a.m.
20stone wrote: One last note, the 2002tii in the initial image underwent a heavily and well documented restoration, here: http://www.my2002tii.com/

I found your website a few years back - I love that little car.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
8/14/15 9:19 a.m.

Ford Capri

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
8/14/15 9:55 a.m.

I like either, but the Alfa gets my pulse going a lot stronger than the Bimmer. But then I do remember a high school teacher owning a GTV-6 back in the day. It spent a lot of time in the shop if I remember right, and that was when it was new.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lU8ohS0XKMpv4UA8hi7IvXfgA3QzHKm4EbINMbemB8l3KLNgs2y5CrziGm90YIdU