1 2 3
Raze
Raze SuperDork
3/2/12 4:36 p.m.

I voted with my money, it's sitting in my garage...

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
3/2/12 6:00 p.m.

I almost can't decide on this one, but I think I have to go with the Alfa... but it has to be a later small bumper model ('72-'76-ish). That said, 10 seconds from now I might change my mind... again.

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
3/2/12 6:27 p.m.

Alfa.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
3/2/12 6:30 p.m.

Am I the only person here who thinks the Fiat is sexier than the Alfa? The swoop down to the undercut in the rear - the little wheel flares and open grill. They all look great to me. The Alfa looks... take it or leave it fine.

Chris_Vs is dead sexy in that color.

I have to go Fiat all the way.

sanman
sanman Reader
3/2/12 6:41 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

It all depends on the details for me. I would gladly choose this Fiat from the Reader's Rides section:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/media/img/readerrides/79_Fiat_Spider_001.jpg

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
3/2/12 6:49 p.m.

In reply to sanman:

Yeah. That is hot.

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
3/2/12 7:22 p.m.

Fiat

BTW you forgot FIGHT!!!

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
3/2/12 7:25 p.m.

In reply to sanman:

After seeing that I change my vote, Fiat

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
3/2/12 7:28 p.m.

I would take either one but the Alfa would be my preference. Although I would likely end up with the Fiat.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette HalfDork
3/2/12 8:04 p.m.

I worked on both and have owned an 88 Spider Veloce. Still I have always wanted the Fiat. So Fiat for me!

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
3/3/12 7:36 a.m.

wow.. as much as I love fiats (I still own one) I really expected the Alfa to pull a clear win here.... we decide tomarrow!

EricM
EricM SuperDork
3/3/12 7:49 a.m.

either

BAMF
BAMF Reader
3/3/12 8:02 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Am I the only person here who thinks the Fiat is sexier than the Alfa? The swoop down to the undercut in the rear - the little wheel flares and open grill. They all look great to me. The Alfa looks... take it or leave it fine. Chris_Vs is dead sexy in that color. I have to go Fiat all the way.

I'm in the Fiat being sexier camp too. The surfaces of the Fiat are better from a sculptural standpoint. The Alfa interior is more than a bit goofy to me. The Fiat interior is about as sensible as an Italian car can get. The top on the Fiat is probably the best non-power convetible top ever. The pivoting side windows are fantastic. Visibility is like a small coupe, and blind spots are almost non-existant.

The Alfa supposedly has a more flexible chassis. I can't really confirm that.

14 years ago, I had a 1981 Fiat Spider at the tender age of 17. I will absolutely get one again.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
3/4/12 7:12 a.m.
BAMF wrote: The Alfa supposedly has a more flexible chassis. I can't really confirm that.

Having driven several examples of both, the Alfa has cowl shake like a Hawaiian belly dancer. The Fiat just shivers like it's cold sometimes.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
3/4/12 8:04 a.m.

The totals are in.. and in counting up the votes, it was a drawn out, knock down fight.. and the Fiat squeaked by into the winner's circle, she's been bloodied, but she is not down

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
3/4/12 10:43 a.m.

awright, what's your next fight???

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/30/12 5:24 p.m.

WHAT I missed this one.

Oh well.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/30/12 5:57 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I'd take the Alfa. Only on the basis that i could modify the crap out of it. If i have to keep them both stock, i'd rather a soldering iron into my ear canal.

Complete Custom Wheels on an Alfa. That's cool.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
3/30/12 5:59 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I'd take the Alfa. Only on the basis that i could modify the crap out of it. If i have to keep them both stock, i'd rather a soldering iron into my ear canal.
Complete Custom Wheels on an Alfa. That's cool.

I believe this car also has an Alfa V6 displacing something like 3.7 litres...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/30/12 6:15 p.m.

Okay, that's even cooler.

And to get this back on topic, it's a close call. One thing to consider, though, is that a nice early Alfa still fetches more than a comparable Fiat. I'm not making any judgement calls, but Fiat prices have just not caught up. My choice? Hmmm, might have to think about that one for a bit.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
3/30/12 7:12 p.m.

I like the round curvey Italian body of Gina Lola... er I mean the Fiat Spider.

PS122
PS122 Reader
3/30/12 8:14 p.m.

My dad had an '86 Spider Graduate... need I say my vote is Alfa?

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
3/30/12 8:45 p.m.

Like all Eye-talion autos they are both so sexy looking but the "Fix It Again Tony" concept has made me run and hide from from them all.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
3/30/12 9:45 p.m.

In reply to TR8owner:

Why? They are very simple automobiles. The only things that made them different from other cars available at the time (disc brakes, timing belts, twin cam interference motors) are so commonplace now that anyone who can maintain a modern car should be able to keep a fiat on the road easily.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/30/12 9:51 p.m.

yea.. so you need to do the timing belt every 20 to 25,000 miles.. but it was the first production car with a DOHC engine that used a belt... 40 years on.. the interval has only grown 3 fold.

Parts are plentiful and cheap too

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MNqDG6pohw5D7Ms9h0pzrsC1cTqPCcAl6qYeno23IlTJCTuUc3YU1jltv5m3Qg4U