1 2 3
darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
3/31/12 1:27 a.m.

I said Alfa before, but now I'm thinking Fiat... of course, it couldn't have anything to do with visiting my pop's place, could it?...

curtis73
curtis73 SuperDork
3/31/12 2:25 a.m.

I drove an Alfa for about a year.... But I want a Fiat.

Fiat has the curves of a Spitfire, but perfected and condensed. Alfas are too common, and they have the curves of a surfboard. -yawn-

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/31/12 6:24 a.m.

They are big cars.

Specially when parked beside my Triumph.

I've now had my FIAT going on 3 years and am more comfortable with the engine workings.

Good machines despite being odd ;)

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/31/12 7:26 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
ddavidv wrote: But either one is a better choice than anything Merry Old England ever cranked out.
Lies. Damn dirty lies.

Plus eleventy billion. Put either up against a J-H (like a magazine did at the time) and see who comes out ahead.

ddavidv
ddavidv UberDork
3/31/12 7:31 a.m.

Weird but true story: the only way I could get my money out of a Fiat Dino Coupe purchase was to swap it to another car guy. He offered me a J-H or a '65 Buick Skylark convertible. I took the Skylark.

Still don't regret that choice.

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
3/31/12 9:10 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: I drove an Alfa for about a year.... But I want a Fiat. Fiat has the curves of a Spitfire, but perfected and condensed. Alfas are too common, and they have the curves of a surfboard. -yawn-

I am also not a fan of the surfboard overhangs. The trunk on the Alfa is just too long

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
3/31/12 9:22 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: I drove an Alfa for about a year.... But I want a Fiat. Fiat has the curves of a Spitfire, but perfected and condensed. Alfas are too common, and they have the curves of a surfboard. -yawn-

I am also not a fan of the surfboard overhangs. The trunk on the Alfa is just too long

TGM
TGM New Reader
6/19/18 12:07 p.m.

After owning a few of each, I must give my summary of the two:

Styling: Both Pininfarina designs are gorgeous. The Fiat's shape is a bit more purposeful and sensible, while the Alfa perhaps a bit more exotic. I feel the Fiat is more approachable while the Alfa has finer details. I'd call it a draw

Quality: As others here have noted, reliability and build quality are similar, but the Alfa was the more expensive car back in the day and it shows in the finer details and higher quality parts overall. Advantage Alfa

Driving: The Fiat is not only more approachable, but livable while behind the wheel, while the Alfa is less so with it's different shifter/wheel design. Both cars drive well, with the Fiat feeling more nimble and balanced. The Alfa feels more premium in it's quality of materials, but that doesn't translate into a more fun/enjoyable drive, I'd give that vote to the Fiat. Advantage Fiat

Investment: Of course the dove-tail (66-69) Alfa's are big $ now as they are the iconic movie car, so those are the ones to invest in. However post-1970 I'd call it a draw, the Fiat Spiders are just as valuable for the most part, especially when you factor in the limited edition Turbo Fiat 124's from the 80's, which are quite desireable now. My favorite Fiat Spiders are the flat hooded 1608's, while the 1750 Alfa's would be my choice. Advantage Alfa (for the early cars)

Parts/Maintenance/Cost of ownership: Clearly the Fiat is the winner here. Large parts supply along with relatively easy maintenance compared to the more complicated Alfa. Some Alfa parts are big $ and the early fuel injection can be a nightmare to tune properly. Carburetors are just better on the early 70's cars. Advantage Fiat

As you can see it's a draw, but if I had to choose I would vote Fiat

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 Reader
6/19/18 1:27 p.m.

but, i see you don't post much, so props for searching before starting a new topic!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/19/18 1:58 p.m.

6 years from last post.  And I can't find a post I did a few years ago that posted some radios that I thought would work in my Miata.... What the heck.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/19/18 2:31 p.m.

The 124 is one of the best looking cars ever made and much more versatile. Better driving dynamics too and no Alfa tax on the parts.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pqsa8MDdLBZbVwIJCBNrU9jJGPiKjwsxg3hsxRJvdOxmFJCUqTqhZ1Fh5HJiywbI