1 2
RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/5/15 12:17 p.m.

All the ad says: Dune Buggy Frame. $100

It doesn't really look like what I'd call a dune buggy. The drop out rear subframe is for a IRS but for a ACVW? It's definitely setup for a different type of front suspension that a VW double torsion. Probably a dirt race frame and probably a single seat design. It looks like it might be setup for inboard coil overs?

I don't need another thing sitting in my shed but...

So what do you see?

rcutclif
rcutclif Dork
8/5/15 12:19 p.m.

A conversation with my wife.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
8/5/15 12:19 p.m.

I spy, with my little eye, the start of something awesome.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/5/15 12:22 p.m.

That looks like a college's SAE Mini baja frame.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/5/15 12:28 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine:

What would they have done for the engine/trans?

bgkast
bgkast UberDork
8/5/15 12:33 p.m.

I agree with the mini-Baja id. They use a Briggs and scrapiron engine I believe.

rcutclif
rcutclif Dork
8/5/15 12:34 p.m.
RossD wrote: In reply to Fueled by Caffeine: What would they have done for the engine/trans?

Mini Baja (back when I was mildly involved) spec'c a 10 hp briggs and stratton. Trans was unlimited though (i think), our team was running a CVT from a snowmobile.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/5/15 12:39 p.m.

Hmmm... just a normal horizontal shaft and a CVT setup. Sounds like a caged go kart with an actual suspension. I'm guessing that since it's probably a mini-baja, that the actual 'cockpit' is quite small and there is probably no chance to fit all 6'1"/200lbs of me and my son in a couple of years when he's old enough to go for a ride with dad...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/5/15 12:41 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: That looks like a college's SAE Mini baja frame.

I was thinking FSAE but this could work too.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer SuperDork
8/5/15 1:51 p.m.

Yeah, that's more FSAE than Baja. Mini Baja had a front roll hoops and halo bars. FSAE only had the rear hoop. So either FSAE or someone's custom open wheel car.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
8/5/15 2:13 p.m.

Id see myself with a tape measure seeing how far off it is from fitting under my Berkely shell

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
8/5/15 2:19 p.m.
CGLockRacer wrote: Yeah, that's more FSAE than Baja. Mini Baja had a front roll hoops and halo bars. FSAE only had the rear hoop. So either FSAE or someone's custom open wheel car.

Looks FSAE-ish to me too.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/5/15 2:22 p.m.

Heres the ad if someone is actually interested. Since it was different, I kind of wanted to know what it was.

http://madison.craigslist.org/snw/5113184943.html

nocones
nocones SuperDork
8/5/15 2:45 p.m.

Definitely FSAE car. Would use a 600cc motorcycle engine. Probably a CBR f2 as those were wildly popular. At a minimum seems cheap for the steel and other parts that could be used.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/5/15 2:50 p.m.

In FSAE the electric cars are always leading...something to think about

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/5/15 3:15 p.m.

Yes.. you guys are right, the more I look at it the more it looks FSAE rather than Baja. A-arms are way too short, no front roll hoop.

XLR99
XLR99 Reader
8/5/15 3:50 p.m.

Maybe it's just the meds talking, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how that subframe ties into the frame.

turboswede
turboswede MegaDork
8/5/15 3:55 p.m.

In reply to XLR99:

likely uses the engine as a structural member, like many modern sport bikes.

XLR99
XLR99 Reader
8/5/15 4:09 p.m.

I was kind of wondering that, just can't visualize it for some reason. I'm also wondering if it's alot smaller than I'm picturing it.

Well, hopefully we'll find out when someone uses this as the basis for next year's skidpad challenge!

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/5/15 4:16 p.m.

In reply to XLR99:

It won't be me, but maybe Nocones will run up to Wisco and grab it. Suspension is his forté.

turboswede
turboswede MegaDork
8/5/15 4:39 p.m.
XLR99 wrote: I'm also wondering if it's alot smaller than I'm picturing it.

See that open box section at the front? That's for the driver's legs. I've seen them run at the local Autocross and they are tiny!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
8/5/15 6:35 p.m.

I'd like to see something to help me get the scale in my head.

At first I thought it was large and if so, it looked kinda spindly.

(I'd buy that in a heartbeat)

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
8/5/15 6:55 p.m.

If anyone near there is coming to the challenge i might pay you $100 to bring it to Gainesville for me.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
8/5/15 8:34 p.m.

FRACK. My contact in Mad Town is on vacation!

Fitzauto
Fitzauto HalfDork
8/6/15 12:33 a.m.

That frame could get me into all sorts of trouble. Could be wicked fun though with the right motor.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jeiel5ib2EbLnb03L4BWQtXJS1uNYOfLXtD54boqxf21fWOfGLJHxlJdIP34iIOi