1 2
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/15/19 6:37 p.m.

The FR-S is due, immediately,  for an oil change.  I use Mobil 1 and WIX filters. I forgot to pick one up. NAPA, where I usually get them, is closed for the day. I will not have time the rest of the week to do it, and the next time I have time, I will have added a 200-300 miles on the oil. Don't want to do that. 

What is comparable to WIX that I can get at WalPepVanceZone, tonight?

No Time
No Time Dork
7/15/19 6:39 p.m.

Car quest used to use relabeled Wix for their store brand filters. 

That was 20 years ago, so it may have changes since then. 

Autozone carries some Mobil1 filters. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
7/15/19 6:40 p.m.

We've had good luck with Mahle, Bosch and ACDelco at work.

Seems if you stay away from Big Orange, you're alright.

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
7/15/19 6:41 p.m.

O'Reilly stocks Wix filters.

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile Reader
7/15/19 6:42 p.m.

Puralators are real good, I’ve used them on WRX with no issues 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/15/19 6:42 p.m.

Awesome.  Thanks, gentlemen. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
7/15/19 7:13 p.m.

Seconded on Purolators.  Going to switch the motorcycle over to them on the next change, run them in the cars for a long time now.

adam525i
adam525i Reader
7/15/19 7:30 p.m.
A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
7/15/19 8:00 p.m.

Of course since the internet nobody never ever ever recommends Fram.  You just wouldn’t recommend those to your worst enemy.

I still use them though.  Never had a single issue.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
7/15/19 8:04 p.m.

Walmart Supertech filters are made by Champion Labs, who also makes some OE filters.  Used for years without issue.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/15/19 8:10 p.m.
EvanB said:

O'Reilly stocks Wix filters.

This.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
7/15/19 8:29 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

Had several leak, swell, fall apart inside.

Not worth the risk.

Maybe they've gotten better, maybe not.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
7/15/19 8:55 p.m.
FSP_ZX2 said:

Walmart Supertech filters are made by Champion Labs, who also makes some OE filters.  Used for years without issue.

Yup, they make a ton of other brands filters. Supertech is a pretty good filter.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
7/15/19 9:01 p.m.

Fram is actually fine now, and their higher-end filters are really good. Opinions on BITOG started changing a few years ago. And, of course, the nice thing about Frams is that they are cheap and you can get them at any big-box store.

MrSmokey
MrSmokey Reader
7/15/19 9:55 p.m.

I wouldn’t put a fram on my dog

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/15/19 10:32 p.m.

Second the no fram on the dog thing.  Or lawn mower, for that matter.  I don't care if "but fram are good now."  They knowingly lied to me for years and I believed them.  No more.

Bob-guy said that the Walmart private label Supertech is good, made by Champion if I recall. I've run those, but yeah, WIX are available at O'Reilley's.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
7/16/19 12:11 a.m.
ShawnG said:

In reply to A 401 CJ :

Had several leak, swell, fall apart inside.

Not worth the risk.

Maybe they've gotten better, maybe not.

Every Chrysler 2.2 that I’ve seen and heard with Fram (and many were cared for examples) had top end noise.  All of them.  Changed the cardboard POS Fram out for a Purolator or similar and the top end noise goes away.  Same oil brand (usually Mobil 1) and viscosity.

I used to use them as masking for painting engine blocks.

Sorry, even if they are better now, they’ve knowingly sold E36 M3 in a box and forced competitors off the shelves for too long (nothing more annoying than going to a parts store and finding nothing but those stupid orange boxes).

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/16/19 12:17 a.m.

In reply to Stefan :

The guilt that comes with being a parts counter jockey and being pushed to sell the oil change bundle that always comes with a Fram filter...

_
_ HalfDork
7/16/19 1:47 a.m.

An frs? Dude, go to your local subie dealer and pick up a genuine tokiroki filter for $6.79

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/16/19 5:40 a.m.
MrSmokey said:

I wouldn’t put a fram on my dog

Advance sold me a Fram "Gold" filter for teh R.  I was suspiscious so I opened the box.  It's a repackaged Mann by the looks of it.

Sometimes they don't bother to tool up and make their own, they just buy in bulk from another manufacturer.  Ironically enough for this thread, the Wix filters for Volvo whiteblocks are junk.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/16/19 6:22 a.m.

Driving another 200 or 300 miles before changing the oil isn't going to make any difference.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
7/16/19 6:57 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

Of course since the internet nobody never ever ever recommends Fram.  You just wouldn’t recommend those to your worst enemy.

I still use them though.  Never had a single issue.

Fram Ultra Synthetic filters seem to be widely regarded as equivalent to WIX filters on Reddit's JRITs stub. Synthetic media that's wire reinforced, metal end caps, metal binding the ends of the media etc.

I use either Bosch or Mobil1s on my cars but I'll use a FUS if I'm in a pinch.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/16/19 7:25 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

Driving another 200 or 300 miles before changing the oil isn't going to make any difference.

This. OTOH you can probably get a Mobil1 or K&N oil filter at Walmart at any time of day or night. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
7/16/19 8:00 a.m.

FWIW, RockAuto has just about any filter you can think of for cheap. The shipping can be expensive, but if you buy a few at a time, it's not so bad. I bought a bunch of Wix XPs when I had the SHO because it and the Expedition used the same filter.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
7/16/19 8:17 a.m.

So riddle me this.  Not trying to troll.  I just don’t know the answer.

In many Ferrari photos you see two big “Fram Orange” oil filters.  Are those actually Fram?  Is that what the Ferrari cognoscenti use?  I’ve rarely ever seen a photo where the filters were not that familiar orange color.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7Bgy43DoT8mrb1sgBgxaaN59jEDhZK9DjnDX2XDlDKmCVOVt5Mpxc7N8lhLTxdhu