1 2
ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
7/16/19 8:30 a.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

We found exactly that with our customers vintage Ferraris. One is a full-flow filter and one is a bypass filter. 

The orange Frams got tossed and a nice pair of red Baldwin filters got installed.

I think they all end up with Fram because it's easy and that's what the parts stores push.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
7/16/19 9:29 a.m.

I've used Purolator for a while. I've never had a problem, but I'm probably changing my oil more often than I have to.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/16/19 10:37 a.m.

I've been running either OEM filters or Purolators on everything in my fleet for a while now. The Mazda has been getting Motorcraft filters recently, which I like a lot as well. The Purolator PureOne filters (or whatever the step above the Classic line is) are really good.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
7/16/19 10:46 a.m.

I think, at the end of the day, pretty much any filter is "good enough", especially if you change your oil as often as most of us probably do. The $13 Mobil 1 filter I just put on the Expedition is almost certainly overkill for the 5k miles it will be on there. I'm as guilty as anyone of overthinking this stuff.

JimS
JimS Reader
7/16/19 11:51 a.m.

I've used many different filters including Fram over my 75 years. Never had a problem with any of them. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/16/19 11:52 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

Cars with VVT can be remarksbly sensitive to the filter.  GM has updated the filters for dome of their newer engines at least once, maybe twice.

My S40 would throw a cam phaser with a Wix.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/16/19 1:10 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

So riddle me this.  Not trying to troll.  I just don’t know the answer.

In many Ferrari photos you see two big “Fram Orange” oil filters.  Are those actually Fram?  Is that what the Ferrari cognoscenti use?  I’ve rarely ever seen a photo where the filters were not that familiar orange color.

I have noticed this also and wonder the same thing. 

Considering the reputation it seems highly unusual Fram would be the go-to filter for classic Ferraris.

Is that a Fram? (if you can tear your eyes from the boner inducing carb display)

These are almost certainly Frams:

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
7/16/19 1:30 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

because most don't know any better as they are collectors or drivers, not people that work on their own cars?

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
7/16/19 1:33 p.m.

It's because the average parts house can't find "Ferrari" in their computer so the mechanic just asks for the same part number that is already on the car.

These aren't Fram filters: https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/af19/auburn-fall/lots/r0014-1971-ferrari-365-gtb4-daytona-berlinetta-by-scaglietti/778626

These are Baldwin: 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
7/16/19 5:08 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

When those Ferraris were new they came from the factory with Fram filters. Look at the Fram stickers on factory run Ferrari sports racers in the 1960s. Back then they were good filters too. I have experienced filter failures on several brands, and seen the lack of filter media within a recent(5 years ago) Fram, as well as the much thinner can compared to Wix. If I was restoring an old Ferrari I would use a Baldwin or Wix filter and paint it orange for originality.  

chandler
chandler PowerDork
7/16/19 6:10 p.m.

In the Baldwin catalog those filters are denoted with checkered flags; there were a couple others with the checkered flags but I remember that from changing the oil in my 400.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
7/17/19 2:43 a.m.

Those Ferrari filters are Frams but the full flow racing versions that cost $20/each. Those Frams are the only ones I would buy.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cochafhJUBtLtGea6zBg0L5nL6Ma243Wr6kKGooXyo9GLuMHX95MLIYYGKmIM8KR