1 2
Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
7/24/13 11:21 p.m.

Priorities have been shifting around. Was going to buy a Z06 in the very near future and put back together the motor in my DD (96 Neon). I've come to the realization that I work a ton and the 96 has been down since Feb. It is almost August, time to look for a winter ride.

I have been looking at XJs. I've already had one before (50k miles, but it started to rust horribly). I know what to look for, am comfortable with the mechanical bits. I'd like a bit more room, but it's not a huge priority.

XJs seem to command a premium around here, for good reason. I have expanded my search to Broncos, Explorers/Mountaineers and Blazers.

A family friend has a 99 ZR2 Blazer. 2-Door. 4.3 with new intake gaskets and fresh coolant. ~130k miles. It was well taken care of. He was asking only $3000. A lot nicer of a vehicle than I could get for similar money in an XJ. What are the drawbacks, other than the Dexcool issues? I literally know nothing about them, other than that parts are plentiful and inexpensive.

I'd love a Bronco, but there doesn't seem to be many clean ones up here in the rust belt. Also looking at similar year F150s. Pretty straightforward here.

I am meh on Explorers and the like. Sister has an 04 Mountaineer, 4.6. I'd prefer an older 5.0 one, but would be willing to keep options open. They don't seem horrible. Higher mileage ones are inexpensive.

I just need something reliable for work, which can tow a trailer sparingly, can take me camping/hunting. My wheeling days are over. I learned not to wheel my DD some years ago, but will do some light trail running and such when camping. Can't do the rusted-out POS thing with work nowadays, need to have some semblance of professionalism.

My main concerns are serviceability and parts availability. I'd consider an import possibly, but parts are harder to come across around here (yay Detroit). An XJ or Pre-96 Bronco/F150 would be best here, but the price can't be beat on the Blazer.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
7/25/13 5:47 a.m.

A bigger XJ. Are Jeep Commanders in your price range yet? They seem to depreciate rather fast; faster than their counterparts like the Grand Cherokee and Liberty.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
7/25/13 7:32 a.m.

For what you're doing, a Blazer or Explorer should work just fine. Both are based on decent mini-truck platforms.

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
7/25/13 7:38 a.m.

From what I've been told about Exploders, the '96.5 - '01 5.0 engine and trans are damn near bullet proof. The interior and some odds and ends electrical bits... not so much. I've actually been looking for one to replace my car(s). Around here they seem very prone to rusting around the rear wheel arches and rocker panels. Of course fuel mileage will suck, but I'm sure you're already aware of that.

How about a Suburban? They are surprisingly cheap and very reliable. I think the NBS version ('01-'06) looks quite nice.

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
7/25/13 7:40 a.m.

That style Blazer with the 4.3 gets the same, if not worse, mpg as our Burban. Less space, less towing capacity...

That's what keeps them off of my list of possibilities; their love of the petrol.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UberDork
7/25/13 7:50 a.m.

The Blazers are more reliable than the Explorers, but do eat ball joints.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
7/25/13 7:55 a.m.

suburban all the way.

Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
7/25/13 8:00 a.m.

Eh, EPA was showing ~14-18 MPG on the Blazer. That's what my XJ on 31s w/3.73s got, not horrible.

I never gave Commanders a look, figured they were too pricey. They definitely do not seem very DIY-friendly.

I do like the 01-06 'Burban/Tahoe. Not sure I want to buck up that much for a beater. That's quite surprising on the fuel economy. I'm not expecting much out of a truck/SUV anyway, but when you take into consideration the extra room/towing capacity, it's a different story.

Are the "AWD" transfer cases in the Explorers a problem area? I'm used to good ol' lever-actuated goodness.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
7/25/13 8:49 a.m.
A lot nicer of a vehicle than I could get for similar money in an XJ.

Unless you're bothered by the driver's door feeling like it's about to fall off everytime you open it. Maybe all of them are fixed now?

What are the drawbacks, other than the Dexcool issues?

Worse engine bay, less reliable motor, less reliable transmission, more complicated front suspension that needs more work more often?

ZR2 have it all over an XJ in looks, but that's about it in my opinion. I've always thought they were neat but i dont consider them to meet or beat the XJ on 'practical considerations' like reliability or ease of service.

I would add 90s Troopers and Monteros to your list, although you would definitely have to be discerning among them. I would only take a 5spd trooper, and i would avoid the DOHC Montero unless you are comfortable doing a bunch of work to it right off the bat.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
7/25/13 8:58 a.m.

Don't forget about the Sport-Trac.

With a cap on the back, they do 99% of what an Explorer will do, plus you can take it off and have a hose-out area that will haul a refrigerator. With a bed extender, the bed becomes even more useful. You also keep the dirt and dog smells from the bed out of the cab. And it is easier to get to the roof rack from the bed than from the ground.

redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
7/25/13 10:51 a.m.

Aside from the rust issues, I don't think you can beat an XJ in terms of simplicity and reliability. I had 2 TJ wranglers and they were unstoppable and just ran on forever with their straight 6's. Also, I think the XJ's classic looks have held up substantially better than the Blazer or Explorer.

What about an early 90's Landcruiser or 4Runner?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
7/25/13 1:12 p.m.

Was gonna say 4runner, but the ones that haven't half returned to the earth already don't go cheap. They're among the best ZAVs though.

beans
beans Reader
7/25/13 2:37 p.m.

Find a 99-04 Grand Cherokee with ALL the maintenance records. Mine was a maintenance pig because the PO's didn't maintain it, but it was an absolute pleasure to own otherwise. I'd try to find an 02+ Limited with the H.O. 4.7, although Overlands seem to hold value VERY well. If you're weary about them, the ZJ's are a very low cost option with TONS more support, especially if you can get your hands on a '98 5.9 Limited.

Honestly, I wouldn't touch an XJ unless it was an absolute beater POS. WJ's and ZJ's are much better equipped for the same $+ a V8.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
7/25/13 4:14 p.m.

I recently bought a '99 Cherokee, and so far have been more than happy. 130K miles, gave 2500.00 for it. NO rust, Florida truck. Needs a few minor things yet, like turn signal unit, and tires, but drives well, gets decent mileage, and looks really nice. Lets just say I would not cringe giving a valet my keys, like I would have with the Sentra. Check our CL, they are available, but literally 10 Grand Cherokees for each Cherokee.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
7/25/13 4:34 p.m.

I've yet to see a rusty XJ that was structurally compromised. the rockers and outer edge of the floor goes, but the frame rails going out seems really rare.

atm92484
atm92484 New Reader
7/25/13 8:39 p.m.

At least around here you just have to look a little for a reasonably priced XJ or be quick on Craigslist. I sold one a month ago since I wanted a larger tow vehicle and I already miss it.

On the plus side I paid $3,400 for it 3 years ago, drove it 25,000 miles, and sold it for $3,000. Over those 3 years I think I spent around $1,200 in parts and that included a set of tires. I don't think I'll find a better car for $33/month.

Keep your eyes peeled; if you find one for $4,000 or less that doesn't need a ton of work you will probably get most of your money back when it is time to sell.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps HalfDork
7/25/13 8:50 p.m.
beans wrote: Find a 99-04 Grand Cherokee with ALL the maintenance records. Mine was a maintenance pig because the PO's didn't maintain it, but it was an absolute pleasure to own otherwise. I'd try to find an 02+ Limited with the H.O. 4.7, although Overlands seem to hold value VERY well. If you're weary about them, the ZJ's are a very low cost option with TONS more support, especially if you can get your hands on a '98 5.9 Limited. Honestly, I wouldn't touch an XJ unless it was an absolute beater POS. WJ's and ZJ's are much better equipped for the same $+ a V8.

I am with beans. 99 and up ride great are quite decent mileage for what it is will haul and trailer and ride much better than the earlier Grands and heads and tails above an XJ

BBC

Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
7/25/13 9:11 p.m.
atm92484 wrote: On the plus side I paid $3,400 for it 3 years ago, drove it 25,000 miles, and sold it for $3,000. Over those 3 years I think I spent around $1,200 in parts and that included a set of tires. I don't think I'll find a better car for $33/month.

That's exactly how my first one went. 98 w/Up-Country Pkg. Ex-Government vehicle. 42k miles. Paid $6200. Drove it for 4 years, went all over the place. Went through a set of nearly new LTXs and a used set of Wilderness A/Ts. Put a new set of Hercules on to sell it. Only other things I did was a cooling system rebuild and new shocks. Floors/doors/rockers were starting to go to E36 M3. Sold for $5500 and paid some bills.

I never put much thought to a WJ, figured upkeep was going to be a bit much. I'll expand my search a bit.

I can't for the life of me find a clean 92-96 F-150/250/350 Ext Cab 4x4 around here. It's been more difficult than a nice Cherokee.

redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
7/25/13 9:12 p.m.
Billy_Bottle_Caps wrote:
beans wrote: Find a 99-04 Grand Cherokee with ALL the maintenance records. Mine was a maintenance pig because the PO's didn't maintain it, but it was an absolute pleasure to own otherwise. I'd try to find an 02+ Limited with the H.O. 4.7, although Overlands seem to hold value VERY well. If you're weary about them, the ZJ's are a very low cost option with TONS more support, especially if you can get your hands on a '98 5.9 Limited. Honestly, I wouldn't touch an XJ unless it was an absolute beater POS. WJ's and ZJ's are much better equipped for the same $+ a V8.
I am with beans. 99 and up ride great are quite decent mileage for what it is will haul and trailer and ride much better than the earlier Grands and heads and tails above an XJ BBC

Errr I'd have to disagree a bit here. We have an '04 4.7 V8 and the in town mileage is less than desirable. But, any of those trucks with a V8 will be a pig. Also, we've had some issues on ours, mostly electrical. However it's off to the shop tomorrow for a laundry list of problems that need to get taken care of while the extended warranty still stands.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
7/26/13 12:13 a.m.
However it's off to the shop tomorrow for a laundry list of problems

Said no XJ owner, ever.

Ok thats a stretch, but close enough for comedy work.

Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
7/26/13 8:52 a.m.
Vigo wrote:
However it's off to the shop tomorrow for a laundry list of problems
Said no XJ owner, ever. Ok thats a stretch, but close enough for comedy work.

It's because things don't get fixed on XJs until absolutely necessary.

redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
7/26/13 9:22 a.m.

I wish it were unnecessary. But it sounds like the front diff or driveshaft is on it's way out or due for a rebuild. Keep in kind this only has 65k miles. Sigh. Hopefully it's something more minor and ill be surprised.

Meanwhile the 944 was running beautifully this morning so I gave it a bath, since its the only car we have for a few days.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
7/26/13 10:17 a.m.
It's because things don't get fixed on XJs until absolutely necessary.

There's also the factor that things dont exist to break in the first place on an XJ, unless you buy the wrong one i guess.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/26/13 11:00 a.m.

Land Rover Discovery.

beans
beans Reader
7/26/13 11:06 a.m.
redhookfern wrote: I wish it were unnecessary. But it sounds like the front diff or driveshaft is on it's way out or due for a rebuild. Keep in kind this only has 65k miles. Sigh. Hopefully it's something more minor and ill be surprised. Meanwhile the 944 was running beautifully this morning so I gave it a bath, since its the only car we have for a few days.

Mine got about 14-15 city, 22+ highway. 4.7 V8.

I had to replace my front driveshaft CV at the t-case. Kinda messy/pain, but only cost $100 for parts. I also thought it was the front diff/shaft, but it was just the CV. Hopefully yours isn't too bad.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6Eaz4jZPguHsXCCu1cq91rCayqqnzob3jkCKfDnAZz3oi9wG4nZbnkWBiBZh5UCO