2 3 4 5 6
Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
4/17/19 3:47 p.m.

Radio silence from the seller since Sunday, but he did lower his cl asking price from 2400 to 2200. Today, out of the blue I get a text "plz pick jaguar up Friday".

So he's truly desperate.

On one hand I could capitalize on the situation and get a better deal than I have already negotiated. On the other hand I sort of feel like if I still want the car, lowering my offer is a dick move.

What's odd is that I don't feel like deciding not to buy it at all at this point would make me a jerk, and I guess my rationalization for that is that I offered to make a commitment with a deposit and he said "no deal". So if the deal is off why do I feel like a jerk renegotiating a new deal?

Why am I making this so complicated?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/17/19 4:08 p.m.

Because good people do what good people do.

Trust your conscience. Neversteered me wrong.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/17/19 4:50 p.m.

Robbie, you do you. Don't worry about this guy or his opinion of you. Get the car for the best price you can at a time that works for you--if it doesn't work out, NBD. You'll never see this guy again.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
4/17/19 7:56 p.m.

Personally, I’d honor the deal you negotiated.   It seems like a solid car for the money anyway.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
4/17/19 8:04 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

The ball is in your court.  If you go ahead you shouldn’t feel any sort of obligation.  

He set the car back in play.  Nothing sells worse than a complex old car once the bloom is off the rose

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
4/18/19 9:33 a.m.

Thanks guys, I needed to hear that. Seller is pretty adamant about Friday but I may not be able to make that happen. I'm going to see if I can call a few tow places and see if I can just have it flatbedded to my house. Going to pick it up is going to cost at least $50 in gas and tolls anyway, (and 3 hours of time I don't really have Friday). Not to mention I don't love driving around with gas dripping from one gas tank. 

The more I think about the gas tank situation, the more i think he's got the engine drawing from the left tank and returning fuel to the right tank, thus overfilling the right tank and making it leak out of the top. In this configuration even if you fill the left tank fully the car will pump it all out pretty quickly. Shouldn't be hard to sort out, but again, I'd rather not venture out on an hour plus drive across Chicago like that. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/18/19 10:45 a.m.

I think you'd be insane to buy a 1987 Jaguar without even looking at and driving it first.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/18/19 11:12 a.m.

If you can have it paid for, I can probably get my brother to pick it up and store it for you (he'd park it in an apartment parking lot in Vernon Hills).

Let me know if you're interested in that.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
4/18/19 11:27 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Sounds like you’ve got a good handle on the problem. 

I agree driving it that way through traffic doesn’t sound very clever.  

Good luck. 

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
4/18/19 12:32 p.m.
dculberson said:

I think you'd be insane to buy a 1987 Jaguar without even looking at and driving it first.

I'd agree! I went to look at it last Saturday and drove it at that time. I made an offer in person and he declined at that time. later, after his 'other buyer' did not show, he accepted the offer I made in person. 

Now I have just been trying to schedule a time to pick it up from him and have offered to make a deposit twice. Both times he has declined saying he would rather just keep it on the market. Then he comes back and insinuates that I need to remove 'my car' from his property ASAP. 

So while I want the car, he and I both have independent schedules and we are finding it hard to link up. And I'm finding it difficult to handle his antics. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
4/18/19 12:35 p.m.

Well, if he hasn't taken it off the market it's not really "your car", is it?

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
4/18/19 12:50 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Well, if he hasn't taken it off the market it's not really "your car", is it?

Yes, those are exactly his antics that are miffing me. I'd just stop responding except I still want the car. 

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
4/18/19 4:25 p.m.

You know his deadline now. Have someone walk in with $1500 cash on friday.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/18/19 4:42 p.m.
bearmtnmartin said:

If Robbie can front my brother the cash, he could do it. Seriously, he's about a 5-20 minute drive away depending on if he's at home or which shop he's at for the day.Hell, I could do it Friday night if Midnight is an acceptable time to do it.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
4/18/19 4:55 p.m.

I'd tell the guy I'm no longer interested.  Then wait a few weeks until he's lowered the price, then go back and buy it.  I Also wouldn't spend the several hundred dollars it would cost to have it towed to your house.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
4/19/19 3:19 a.m.
bearmtnmartin said:

Exactly.  Robbie I’m much more aggressive than you’ve been, probably because I’ve seen people hold onto nice cars until they are no longer nice, but just something to be disposed of. 

Everybody wants as much as they can get, it’s human nature.  People hate to leave money on the table.  

But playing the devils advocate here, he may need a certain amount to pay a bill/ mortgage/ buy something required.   Less than that amount it does him no good to sell.  

So don’t get hung up on any one number.  The most honest way to do this is just ask, What is the absolute least you will take for it today, how about next week”?  

If you make the above all in one sentence you’ve politely told him you are willing to wait for a deal without being nasty about it.  

That way he needs to decide which is more important time or money.  

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
4/19/19 9:15 a.m.

Yeah, plus I want the car and I think it is a good deal at $1800 (that's why I offered that). Turning the screws to this guy just to get a couple extra bucks is just a place I'd rather not be. 

He is available all day today, but I have to work and have in-laws from out of town in tonight. I'm available tomorrow but he has to work all day tomorrow and sunday. The car is an hour away so it is a 2 hour endeavor minimum, likely more like 3. 

I proposed a couple alternatives to the guy. First I proposed he deliver the car to me since he is available and I'm not on the day he wants it gone. No go for him. Then I tracked down a tow truck who could bring it to me for $225. I asked if the seller would split that with me and then I would have the car picked up friday. 

Finally he said that he does not want the car to leave on a tow truck because he used to be a tow truck driver and he knows how those guys treat cars. He thinks the jaguar is way to nice for that (and I have to give him credit here because I mostly agree). It is also nice to hear that he still does truly care about the car. So we decided on early tomorrow morning - he wasn't nearly as firm about saturday being a no-go anymore. I'll be able to go out there and pick it up. I'm going to bring a few tools and a gas can just in case and I can monitor the situation in the daylight. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/19/19 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Good luck.  We expect an update around lunch time tomorrow. wink

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
4/20/19 11:08 a.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to Robbie :

As promised!

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
4/20/19 11:10 a.m.

Made it home no issue, gas only drips if you select the right tank from the inside. 

4 pages into this thread so far, but I'm happy!

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
4/20/19 11:52 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Well done, well bought 

Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
4/20/19 12:02 p.m.

Very nice!!

The car looks great! Can’t wait for the build thread. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/20/19 12:02 p.m.

So pretty. It looks right at home on that picturesque driveway. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/20/19 1:37 p.m.

Nice!  Looks good!

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
4/20/19 1:42 p.m.
Robbie said:
Ian F said:

In reply to Robbie :

As promised!

Man,  that really makes me want a classic Jag.  Such a great looking car.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
McJMviQxveDOFHJWd8dKVFd7mNon6mmjO8UHlVDESH7DgEFYBUIkgu4g77EUGbBq