Tom_Spangler PowerDork
1/6/19 8:45 p.m.
BlindPirate said:
Dwight Shrute's brother ?

No, that's the CEO of Pied Piper. laugh

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
1/6/19 9:03 p.m.

I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't listen to commercial radio, doesn't have cable or even an antenna on the tv and specifically seeks out bars and restaurants without televisions.  I pay for streaming services to eschew ads and haven't been regularly  exposed to advertising in over 5 years.  Holidays at my parents house are the only times I experience any. I feel like the quality of ad writing has slipped to a level that is outright insulting . It is excruciating to sit through and worse when they think they are being funny.

10 minutes of prime time television ads makes me want to find a uninhabited island to live on.  

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
1/6/19 9:31 p.m.

There have been multiple articles stating that Chevy stands firm behind their "Real People" commercials. It's terrible and trumps Toyota's "Grounded to teh Ground" campaign. 

I wouldn't buy a new Chevy to begin with but these commercials cement this even more so. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/6/19 10:10 p.m.
Jumper K Balls (Trent) said:

I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't listen to commercial radio, doesn't have cable or even an antenna on the tv and specifically seeks out bars and restaurants without televisions.  I pay for streaming services to eschew ads and haven't been regularly  exposed to advertising in over 5 years.  Holidays at my parents house are the only times I experience any. I feel like the quality of ad writing has slipped to a level that is outright insulting . It is excruciating to sit through and worse when they think they are being funny.

10 minutes of prime time television ads makes me want to find a uninhabited island to live on.  

Meanwhile, we’ve been streaming the football games. There are fewer commercials that way but more than none. It all depends on what you want to watch. NFL without commercials isn’t really an option the way that, say, F1 is. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
1/6/19 10:13 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

LOL funny I just asked my wife who did this "poll" comprise?  Chevy employees?  Do they just randomly poll people until they get the result they want?  More reliable?  I doubt it.  Toyota and Honda are at the top of that game, and it'll take a lot to change it.  I don't even own a Honda or Toyota, but I tell others if you want a super reliable appliance that's the route you take.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
1/7/19 6:05 a.m.

I don't like the commercials either.  However, they clearly aren't aimed at people like us, so I'm not going to get worked up over them.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/7/19 7:14 a.m.

Last night I could find nothing interesting on TV to watch, so I turned it the 70s hits music channel and listened to the oldies.  It was quite relaxing. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/7/19 7:40 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

I cannot recall the last car I've seen a commercial for.  Where the hell does one see a Chevy commercial?

If you like to watch football, you can still be stuck with them. They show up on YouTube as well.

Yes, the current Chevy ad campaign is a year or two past its sell-by date.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
1/7/19 8:16 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:

In reply to irish44j :

LOL funny I just asked my wife who did this "poll" comprise?  Chevy employees?  Do they just randomly poll people until they get the result they want?  More reliable?  I doubt it.  Toyota and Honda are at the top of that game, and it'll take a lot to change it.  I don't even own a Honda or Toyota, but I tell others if you want a super reliable appliance that's the route you take.

Based on my past two Accords and my parents' past two Odysseys, reduce that list to Toyota only.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/7/19 8:17 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Meanwhile, we’ve been streaming the football games. There are fewer commercials that way but more than none. It all depends on what you want to watch. NFL without commercials isn’t really an option the way that, say, F1 is. 

Yeah, we have DirectTVNOW on the the Amazon Cube so we can watch Ok St football, OKC Thunder, the occasional race............and it's really handy for keeping an eye on the weather here. I don't have all 77 counties and their locations memorized. 

Hell even just a few weeks we had a front move through with 60-70mph winds and they said there was a possibility for a few small tornadoes. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/7/19 10:05 a.m.

Remember those awesome BRZ ads that Subaru had? Or the FR-S ads from Scion? Wait a minute...

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/7/19 10:21 a.m.
Dave M said:

Based on my past two Accords and my parents' past two Odysseys, reduce that list to Toyota only.

Agree 100%. Our TSX Wagon has been fantastic, but sisters new 18 CRV and moms 16 Accord have been nothing but problems. I have been done with Mazdas/Subarus quality problems for a while, and now for me going foward it is Toyota/Lexus only for my family DD duties.  LIfe is too short to hang out with ugly fat dealership service people.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
1/7/19 10:21 a.m.
noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
1/7/19 11:08 a.m.

The commercials must be working.  People are talking about them.  

And the commercials are for non-car/truck people.  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
1/7/19 11:36 a.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

There have been multiple articles stating that Chevy stands firm behind their "Real People" commercials. It's terrible and trumps Toyota's "Grounded to teh Ground" campaign.

This. The things the "real people" say are so stupid and weird that there's no way to believe for a fraction of a second that a real person would say them. They're right in the uncanny valley of credibility between "poorly written" and "mocking."

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
1/7/19 11:46 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

https://jalopnik.com/somebody-from-chevys-dumb-real-people-ads-spoke-out-abo-1795489304

Wow, so apparently it only took a couple of Benjamins and some social pressure to turn regular everyday people into awkward clanking PR-bots for Chevy. That might be the scariest psychological experiment I've ever read about.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
1/7/19 11:56 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Tom_Spangler said:

https://jalopnik.com/somebody-from-chevys-dumb-real-people-ads-spoke-out-abo-1795489304

Wow, so apparently it only took a couple of Benjamins and some social pressure to turn regular everyday people into awkward clanking PR-bots for Chevy. That might be the scariest psychological experiment I've ever read about.

And the promise to be on TV. It shouldn't be too hard to find folks narcissistic enough for that to appeal to them. Look popular reality TV is.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
1/7/19 2:01 p.m.

I cant wait for TV ads aimed at an AI robot audience, its just gonna get weird... 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
1/7/19 2:12 p.m.
fidelity101 said:

I cant wait for TV ads aimed at an AI robot audience, its just gonna get weird... 

Already happened:

https://hackaday.com/2017/04/14/burger-king-scores-free-advertising-from-google-home-with-a-whopper-of-a-hack/

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
1/7/19 3:25 p.m.

This thread seems like a “Grumpy Old Men” movie pilot...

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
1/7/19 3:49 p.m.
tr8todd said:

Just saw a new GMC pickup truck commercial where the tailgate folds down into a step.  What a stupid stupid idea.  Whoever came up with that idea doesn't use a truck as a truck.  My tailgate is my work bench pretty much every day.  It needs to be a solid platform, not some fancy folding step ready to flop into three pieces.  If I ever get too old to climb in and out of a pickup truck bed, then I won't be needing a pickup.

I’m average height and modern 4 wheel drive 1/2 ton pickups all have their tailgate about chest high.  No legitimate reason. They just do.  You just can’t raise your foot to your chest, step on the tailgate and get up in there.   I bought a folding plastic step stool for that reason but Ford has had an optional step in their tailgate since about 2013.   Chevy finally recognized the need.  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
1/7/19 4:00 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

In reply to irish44j :

You simply have the wrong set of facts.  My last pick up went 371,000 miles ( 20 years) and cost me about  $1000 in repairs to get there.   When I sold it it still had nearly everything original ( except maintenance items) and had never once let me down. 

My “new” pickup is at 30,000+ miles without a single repair or visit to the dealership for anything other than oil changes.  

The old myth of Japanese reliability is getting slightly tarnished.  My wife’s Honda has been trouble free except for recalls. But lately I see a number of newer ones arriving on the back of tow trucks. 

Every bodies game is improving.  While I still think Toyota leads in quality. Even they have slid down from their past.  But close to Toyota cars are Ford and Chevy pickups. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/7/19 4:36 p.m.

All the "real people" Chevy ads are nothing compared to the Mitsubishi ads where the hipster douchebag white guy freestyle raps about the car during the test drives.

If that crap happened during my test drive I would stop the car in traffic, get out, and throw the keys down the nearest storm drain.

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
1/7/19 7:07 p.m.
irish44j said:
T.J. said:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

No, Chevy needs to move on. I even hate the Fake Commercials with Mahk on YouTube that make fun of those commercials. 

I suspect Maawwwwhk is secretly funded by Chevy to make fun of them since his satire videos probally get more views than the real ads on TV.

Chevy needs to ditch that bearded dude and start over with a new ad company.

That dude is so smug. But Chevy is trying really hard to toe the line between a "manly" older guy who drives tough trucks (as seen in commercials) and a "stylish" millenial. Like, this guy is trying to be both, at once

Image result for chevy ad guy

On the upside, he is 100 times less douchey than this guy:

Image result for verizon ad guy

Disagree, that smug, bearded d bag has to be the most punchable personality on TV, taking that crown from the Trivago guy. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
1/7/19 8:14 p.m.
frenchyd said:
AnthonyGS said:

In reply to irish44j :

You simply have the wrong set of facts.  My last pick up went 371,000 miles ( 20 years) and cost me about  $1000 in repairs to get there.   When I sold it it still had nearly everything original ( except maintenance items) and had never once let me down. 

My “new” pickup is at 30,000+ miles without a single repair or visit to the dealership for anything other than oil changes.  

The old myth of Japanese reliability is getting slightly tarnished.  My wife’s Honda has been trouble free except for recalls. But lately I see a number of newer ones arriving on the back of tow trucks. 

Every bodies game is improving.  While I still think Toyota leads in quality. Even they have slid down from their past.  But close to Toyota cars are Ford and Chevy pickups. 

Yes, the bigass trucks from the domestics are extremely well-built and reliable. Because that's the only vehicles they actually care about and the only ones in the line they want you to buy.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f8MU7F4a2cYFAEkSHJ6BhQhuHEd2gWub9rYkHTUIdfCjGQdnGaPWqFoLQpbs38PJ