1 2 3
Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
4/12/19 6:53 a.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

I've seen similar rebuilds on Speedtalk.com.  I'd link but for some reason I can't access the forum from my computer, but my tablet reads just fine.

Anyway, the takeaway I get is that the block machining was garbage.  Seems like the Ford parts in the engine worked just fine.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
4/12/19 7:31 a.m.
Robbie said:

can this please become a discussion about how the jag aj6 is in fact the same as the GM atlas?

please?cheeky

How about the time that Jaguars could have started using a Mazda-designed and built 4.6L V12?

For those unaware, during the '80s-'90s Japanese bubble economy, Mazda started developing a luxury companion brand called Amati, and it's flagship was to be the Amati 1000, which was going to use a 4.6L V12 with rotating assembly components from a K-series V6. Even as the economy was starting to slow in Japan and the US branch of Mazda was telling Mazda Japan that it was going to be a tough sell in the US, Mazda was forging ahead with tooling up production. Then the Japanese economy tanked, and Mazda found itself in money troubles and Ford bought up a chunk of Mazda and was trying to look for a way to prop up Mazda and waved the idea of Mazda's V12 replacing the old Jag V12 but pushback at Jag was severe and killed that.

Also, tying into the Aston Martin part of this thread, after Amati tanked, Mazda built a concept 4-door fastback coupe that used this V12 with FD3S RX-7 suspension bits called Project A007. The styling and just basic idea pretty closely resembled the Astobn Martin Rapide. When Ford caught wind of the concept, they shut the idea down because it was basically the same idea that had just gotten Mazda into financial trouble and required Ford to step in.

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
4/12/19 8:20 a.m.

This thread makes me want a V8 Vantage and XKR lol

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iSzYx3pyFl0ZcELWlbJnOdEkbAx8ViBiNfBeD7Wz1kC2fnhyfTwV3fj6nnm25DXQ