1 2
Clarty
Clarty New Reader
9/3/14 10:06 a.m.

My wife was hit in the rear while driving our '99 Volvo Country Squire. We're getting it fixed. Our rental is a new Dodge Charger, base engine, base (SE) trim.

It's astonishingly good. The 3.6L V6 has 292 horsepowers, the 5-speed auto is OK, steering is communicative and direct, the ride is supple without being flubbery, and the cornering is pretty flat. It's rear-drive, and the traction control can be switched off, or at least "down." With my eyes closed I could imagine it's a BMW E39 525 or 530. It even looks cool.

The build quality is pretty good. It's certainly on par with current VWs. I know that's not saying much, but VW used to be a quality benchmark, and we ARE talking about a Chrysler product here.

For a European car snob currently DDing an '88 Mercedes 300SE, it's been a real epiphany. Has anyone else had a similar reaction to the newer Chargers?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
9/3/14 10:09 a.m.

They are pretty descent cars now. Dodge (and Chrysler in general) has got their E36 M3 together.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
9/3/14 10:12 a.m.

I've had them for rentals a couple times and thought they were pretty decent. The one thing I didn't like were the thick A-pillars, they blocked my view when going around corners but I suppose most new cars are the same way.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
9/3/14 10:12 a.m.

Is your wife Brenda Coats?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/3/14 10:13 a.m.

Despite my GM fanboi status, the Dart has been catching my eye lately...Not a muscle car by any stretch, but I wanted to echo SBF, Fiatsler has turned a corner in the last couple of years.

Clarty
Clarty New Reader
9/3/14 10:19 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Is your wife Brenda Coats?

Nope.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
9/3/14 11:45 a.m.

I had one for a rental earlier this summer. It was quiet, comfortable for 4 adults, seemed well-built, and nicely optioned for a rental. Controls are nicely placed, although it took me a little while to get used to having buttons on both sides of the steering wheel to control the on-board computer. No complaints except for exterior styling which just isn't to my taste.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
9/3/14 11:47 a.m.

I like the charger. Even the base model is a pretty decent car. And they tend to be a lot faster than you would expect.

stan
stan UltraDork
9/3/14 11:50 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Is your wife Brenda Coats?

I used to know/ work with a Brenda Coates. Was she hit in the rear?

?????

GTwannaB
GTwannaB Reader
9/3/14 1:21 p.m.
Clarty wrote: For a European car snob currently DDing an '88 Mercedes 300SE, it's been a real epiphany. Has anyone else had a similar reaction to the newer Chargers?

Isn't that car basically on an old E class chassis from the Chrysler/Meredeces days? Might be why it feels familiar.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/3/14 1:29 p.m.

I was impressed with my dad's old 2010 Charger R/T with the Road and Track package. AWD and Hemi

He traded it in for a '12 Ram truck. I'd have to say I was generally impressed with the truck too. Much better than my buddy's '06 Ram.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
9/3/14 2:12 p.m.

LX cars in general 05-present are shockingly much better than a lot of other Chrysler products.

I think the new 3.6/8spd Charger is one of the coolest family cars you can buy.

The 5spd ones are just ok.

I was flabbergasted by how good the 3.6/8spd quad cab Ram i drove felt. I actually want one of those. There is so much room for a giant turbo in front of the motor that you could have a blind man build your turbo manifold and he probably wouldnt hit anything.

In general i have been shocked every time i drove ANYTHING with the 3.6, but i guess that is wearing off now since i have driven a lot of them. I still need to drive the 3.6 Wrangler and wouldnt mind a shot at a Promaster either.

Oh and here's a plain jane 3.6 Dodge Avenger keeping up with a Focus ST on the 1/4 Mile. <1mph difference in trap speeds and beat it on ET. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTOjPrWdo_Y This is a car nobody even talks about. All 3.6 Chryslers with 6-8 gears are fast.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
9/3/14 2:18 p.m.

I wouldn't throw a Hellcat out of the garage.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
9/3/14 4:02 p.m.

Although I haven't driven one yet, I sat in a gussied up V6 car at a car show a couple years ago. It was loaded, and let me tell you, that interior was one of the nicest interiors I have ever sat in. The steering wheel was perfect, outward visibility was surprisingly decent, and everything just felt right. I didn't want to get out of the car. Ever since, I've wanted to take one for a test drive. I haven't because I'll likely end up going home with it.

Clarty
Clarty New Reader
9/3/14 4:08 p.m.
GTwannaB wrote:
Clarty wrote: For a European car snob currently DDing an '88 Mercedes 300SE, it's been a real epiphany. Has anyone else had a similar reaction to the newer Chargers?
Isn't that car basically on an old E class chassis from the Chrysler/Meredeces days? Might be why it feels familiar I don't think so. This.

It drives differently than my old W126. I love that old car, but the Charger is just such a surprise.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle HalfDork
9/3/14 4:17 p.m.

Motortrend was able to hustle a Pentastar equipped Wrangler to 60mph in 6.7 seconds. That was a 2 door with the 6 speed manual with, I believe, the 3.73 gears. That's pretty dang quick for a brick.

The Pentastar is a great engine. Sure there were a few issues early on but I'm very happy with mine. It's the main reason I bought a 2012 JK versus a heavily discounted 2011.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/3/14 4:58 p.m.
stanger_missle wrote: Motortrend was able to hustle a Pentastar equipped Wrangler to 60mph in 6.7 seconds. That was a 2 door with the 6 speed manual with, I believe, the 3.73 gears. That's pretty dang quick for a brick. The Pentastar is a great engine. Sure there were a few issues early on but I'm very happy with mine. It's the main reason I bought a 2012 JK versus a heavily discounted 2011.

Holy crap. That's terrifying quick for a jeep.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
9/3/14 5:37 p.m.

I had a Jeep that wouldn't even DO 60!

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/3/14 5:50 p.m.

I wanted to get one. However the 375HP for a R/T and the lack of manual made me go Mustang.

Also. 5 speed auto? Really? At least they are getting 8 speeds now it seems.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
9/3/14 5:53 p.m.

And that is why Chrysler sales are up and VW's are down.

Note: those comments on the Charger/MB E class are nearly 8 years old.

Pat
Pat HalfDork
9/3/14 5:54 p.m.

I just drove a 3.6/8speed auto AWD Durango and was amazed by how quick it was. Build quality was also very impressive. It doesn't surprise me that the Charger is also impressive.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle HalfDork
9/3/14 6:19 p.m.

The V6 300 with the 8 speed auto is rated at 31mpg highway. I think the Charger is nearly identical since they are essentially the same platform. Thats pretty damn impressive for a 4000lb tank.

I'd have no issue driving the V6 models. Decent performance and lots of room.

I had a 2005 Magnum RT and a 2011 Ram that both had Hemis. The power was great but the mileage sucked.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/3/14 6:30 p.m.

So it there any concerns with the 3.6 with the 8 speeds, specifically the 2014 grand cherokee? Its the only vehicle we are looking at and will buy shortly after thanksgiving. The only thing up in the air is the model year and new or used.

etifosi
etifosi Reader
9/4/14 9:00 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: They are pretty descent cars now. Dodge (and Chrysler in general) has got their E36 M3 together.

Ha ha! Not laughing at Blinkie's spelling, I actually read that to mean a pretty car that goes downhill quick, a beautiful nightmare; jag/maser/f-car etc.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
9/4/14 3:11 p.m.

Interesting thread. I had a Chrysler 200 as a rental about a month ago and it made me wonder how in the world this company was not bankrupt. The car was comfy and had all the usual features, but the suspension was strange and I was a bit worried of what would happen if I had to do an emergency lane change. The rear suspension design team must not've talked with the front suspension design team at all. It felt like driving a big american barge car from the late 70's or early 80's as far as the handling went. My in-laws have a Ram that seems nice and I don't mind driving it (other than the parking brake pedal always wants to catch my foot when I get out and that it is strange to get into.) I will not use the 200 to condemn all Mopar products.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IyYhzMgTLybxgf8ORNAalbs8kIBcqNcBTuRqSBsV3TrBBv3ZGrf4Oa3GplYxQQxf