1 2 3
JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/24/09 3:22 p.m.

Started teardown of the wartburg today.

Interior is nice and clean, good and solid

The trunk on the other hand.....luckily we have a plan

And just a little test fitting and perhaps some foreshadowing of what is to come.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
10/24/09 3:38 p.m.

<---Jealous.

Can't wait to see some progress!!!

P71
P71 SuperDork
10/24/09 3:43 p.m.

Are those Fuch's on a Wartburg?!?!? Holy hell!

subscribes

pres589
pres589 Reader
10/24/09 3:45 p.m.

Fuch's + plan to "fix" very rusty trunk floor + transaxle sitting on floor + Wartburg.

I like how this is shaping up already.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/24/09 3:46 p.m.
P71 wrote: Are those Fuch's on a Wartburg?!?!? Holy hell! *subscribes*

You can always catch all the updates at http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com

And yes those are Fuchs ;)

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/24/09 3:47 p.m.
pres589 wrote: Fuch's + plan to "fix" very rusty trunk floor + transaxle sitting on floor + Wartburg. I like how this is shaping up already.

I'm working on some VW projects too so dont let the parts laying around influence your imagination too much :)

I will say right now it WILL NOT be porsche powered. My pockets arent that deep and I get better power more reliably from some other motors than from any porsche motor I could afford.

Of course that's not to say I couldn't change my mind and build plan drastically if anyone has a nice 911 motor they'd like to sell really cheap ;)

Jay
Jay Dork
10/24/09 4:30 p.m.

Hah, most of the Wartburgs left around here (=former East Germany) aren't in nearly that good shape. Actually there are hardly any left at all, and I imagine for every one I see on the street the owner has four more in his back yard as parts cars. Looking forward to where this is going!

Toyman01
Toyman01 HalfDork
10/24/09 5:06 p.m.

All kinds of stuff will bolt up to a VW tranny. Is it going to lemons? That one almost seems too nice to beat up. Should be fun though.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/24/09 5:27 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: All kinds of stuff will bolt up to a VW tranny. Is it going to lemons? That one almost seems too nice to beat up. Should be fun though.

Indeed almost anything would bolt to VW trans wouldnt it?

This one's doing BABE, Lemons and GRM.

I agree with the "too nice to beat up" but it was given to me by the Lemons guys and they are anticipating something bizzare and spectacular so I hate to dissapoint.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
10/24/09 6:09 p.m.

Im thinking coucours level preparation. Show those wine sipping, cheese eating bastards what a real automotive masterpiece is!

Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe Reader
10/24/09 6:30 p.m.

ah damn it, I knew I left those wheels somewhere

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/24/09 6:34 p.m.
Tetzuoe wrote: ah damn it, I knew I left those wheels somewhere

I try to warn people about leaving parts at my place. If Carzan doesnt hurry Im going to figure out how to use Triumph Herald parts on this thing.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
10/24/09 6:52 p.m.

1600 Dual Port with some vintage EMPI parts would be seriously cool in that.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/24/09 7:04 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: 1600 Dual Port with some vintage EMPI parts would be seriously cool in that.

Yes, but down on power and reliability compared with other available options.

Im an aircooled guy so that's where my thinking first went, heck the transaxle (up front) in this thing looks just like a VW unit, could probably front mount a 1600 up there.

splitime
splitime Reader
10/24/09 7:06 p.m.

Looking awesome!

AutoXchick
AutoXchick New Reader
10/24/09 7:31 p.m.
JThw8 wrote:
I try to warn people about leaving parts at my place. If Carzan doesnt hurry Im going to figure out how to use Triumph Herald parts on this thing.

I'll give him a nudge. Oh, and I'm really liking my mental image of how the Wartburg is shaping up.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/24/09 7:51 p.m.
AutoXchick wrote:
JThw8 wrote:
I'll give him a nudge. Oh, and I'm really liking my mental image of how the Wartburg is shaping up.

No need for the nudge, they are here till he is ready, no biggie. And I have yet to figure out how to use those parts in a Wartburg so they are safe ;)

He however is not safe since my wife found out he told me where to get the 2nd Wartburg so I can become the most prolific Wartburg collector in the US.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/24/09 7:53 p.m.
AutoXchick wrote: I'm really liking my mental image of how the Wartburg is shaping up.

Wanna draw me a picture, 'cause I have no idea where this is headed ;)

ratghia
ratghia Reader
10/24/09 8:52 p.m.

This car looks great with the fuchs on it and just as solid as I remember it being. I can’t wait to see what you do with it.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
10/24/09 10:27 p.m.

how about a Porsche Type 4?

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/24/09 10:43 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: how about a Porsche Type 4?

Comes back to the low power/low reliability equation. Granted they are more reliable than a Type 1 but in comparison with a more modern motor it gets expensive to get reasonable power from them with reliability.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
10/25/09 5:09 a.m.

Is the obvious answer, Subie power?

Regardless of engine choice, this is shaping up to be one cool car .

Jay
Jay Dork
10/25/09 6:36 a.m.

Hmm, you want air-cooled, you want decent grunt, and you want something unusual and interesting... It's gotta be... Turbo Corvair power! Plus that gives you the name "Warvair" which is just made of badass. Amirightorwhat?

pres589
pres589 Reader
10/25/09 6:36 a.m.

I was thinking about this and a VW 1.9TDi rig out back would probably be pretty nice and inline with what the original concept was for this car; economy. And you can still turn up the wick pretty nicely.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/25/09 7:41 a.m.
Luke wrote: Is the obvious answer, Subie power?

That's at the top of our list right now, with magic spinning triangles pulling a close 2nd.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oiitwom3NYLxFLs8CFICrNRXo2lhfefmkn8gKaxCmBWARcIBMvYaMz0Y6rwaMGvI