1 2 3 4
maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
10/25/09 8:50 a.m.

we have a 2.2 liter big bore type 4 at work that we are hoping to dyno at 145 to the wheels. Might cost a bit much for LeMons though.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/25/09 9:49 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: we have a 2.2 liter big bore type 4 at work that we are hoping to dyno at 145 to the wheels. Might cost a bit much for LeMons though.

We dont have a lemons budget ;) That was one of the advantages of winning the wartburg, no rules :)

But we do have a GRM budget to consider and the rest of my team are somewhat anti-aircooled. It may have something to do with the very long trip in a 73 Bug on BABE 07

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/25/09 11:49 a.m.

Kept looking at that mock up photo and the wheels were bothering me. So I spent a little time with them today.

Only one done so far, they were so damaged I had to start with 120 grit then 220, 320, 400 and 600. I could go to 1500 for that mirror shine but there are still some pits that just wont come out so keeping them a bit satin helps.

I'll paint the centers once we decide on a color for the car.

Before

After

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
10/25/09 11:54 a.m.

Nice work. The wheels on the BabeMW were almost as bad and took forever to make nice.

AutoXchick
AutoXchick New Reader
10/25/09 2:05 p.m.
JThw8 wrote:
Luke wrote: Is the obvious answer, Subie power?
That's at the top of our list right now, with magic spinning triangles pulling a close 2nd.

That's pretty much what I was thinking...

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
10/25/09 2:32 p.m.

I just happened across this over on the HAMB board: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG6tOAiw1t4&feature=related It's some guys in Germany building a custom Wartburg (this is part 1, there are three more videos.) They call it the "Zonen-Zombie."

Toyman01
Toyman01 HalfDork
10/25/09 2:33 p.m.

Front transaxle, rear trans axle, 4wd? Spinning triangles in the back and aircooled in the front. You would have the best of both worlds.

Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe Reader
10/25/09 3:17 p.m.

yeah you can blame the college kid I got the 944 from for those corroded wheels. 350 dollar 944, what do you expect? lol.

Man i'm glad those wheels are going on the warty.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb HalfDork
10/26/09 5:02 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Front transaxle, rear trans axle, 4wd? Spinning triangles in the back and aircooled in the front. You would have the best of both worlds.

Please don't give him ideas weirder then the ones we're already too afraid to allow!!

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/26/09 6:59 a.m.
littleturquoiseb wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: Front transaxle, rear trans axle, 4wd? Spinning triangles in the back and aircooled in the front. You would have the best of both worlds.
Please don't give him ideas weirder then the ones we're already too afraid to allow!!

Too late, Im switchin the script again ;) Although our timeline is about to get very fubared due to my work.

tyrannosullyrex
tyrannosullyrex New Reader
10/26/09 11:43 a.m.

Audi 01x transaxle to your choice of Audi engines, amidships. Could probably be done for $200-400 depending on engine choice.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/28/09 5:41 p.m.

Hmmm, it followed me home...whatever shall I do with it?

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
10/28/09 5:43 p.m.

WOOT. what are you doing with the shell? I say a WRX swapped rallycross beater!

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/28/09 5:52 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: WOOT. what are you doing with the shell? I say a WRX swapped rallycross beater!

It was tempting especially since SVreX was selling that 2.0T from a WRX but we're going to part/scrap it to recoup our money, it was bought very cheap so we should be able to get our motor down to $0 by selling off the rest.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer New Reader
10/28/09 6:05 p.m.

Ok, I'll bite. What is the Babe rally? I realize that I have been out of the scene for a while but . . . never heard of it.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/28/09 6:09 p.m.
Kia_racer wrote: Ok, I'll bite. What is the Babe rally? I realize that I have been out of the scene for a while but . . . never heard of it.

My god, you have missed out on some of the best fun you can have with your clothes on.

www.baberally.com

Short version...buy a $500 car and prepare for a 5 day road rally adventure from NYC to New Orleans. Each day there will be a challenge to score points causing you to pilot your somewhat suspect chariot further out of the way than probably needed. Each night a bunch of weary travellers meet at a hotel and throw a tailgate party to drown away the days misery.

1 part road rally, 1 part art car parade, 2 parts mardi gras.

Oh and at least one of the days goes through the Tail of the Dragon and the Ass of the Antelope (a precursor to the dragon, more dirt, more fun) so you get to hoon your beater to death.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
10/29/09 10:01 a.m.

So cool. I can't wait to see how this thing comes together.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/29/09 12:22 p.m.
MiatarPowar wrote: So cool. I can't wait to see how this thing comes together.

Well the general gist of it is

Wartburg+944+VWBug+Subaru = ???

Right now we are still on track to bring it in for under $1000, we'll see how that holds up though, scope creep is a killer.

We've got the german and the japanese in there guess I should use some italian parts to round out the Axis powers theme.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer New Reader
10/29/09 12:25 p.m.
JThw8 wrote:
MiatarPowar wrote: So cool. I can't wait to see how this thing comes together.
. We've got the german and the japanese in there guess I should use some italian parts to round out the Axis powers theme.

How about a DeDion rear end from a GTV6?

spin_out
spin_out New Reader
10/29/09 12:27 p.m.

I was hoping for the Studebaker power in the back of the photo.
Well to be honest, when I look at the photo I only see the Stude.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/29/09 12:38 p.m.
spin_out wrote: I was hoping for the Studebaker power in the back of the photo. Well to be honest, when I look at the photo I only see the Stude.

That was the original plan but it was a packaging issue. A wartburg is much smaller than it appears in photos.

Something tells me you will be seeing the Studebaker again. Someone here will be taking ownership of it soon, someone known for doing some impressive things with unusual cars.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild New Reader
10/29/09 2:34 p.m.

i've got a trunk deck luggage rack from a fiat 124 if you want to add the italian flavor to the axis collection. it is all packaged up and paid for from an ebay sale and the guy cancelled his account right after he paid without sending an address! yours free if you want it!

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/29/09 2:56 p.m.
Kia_racer wrote: How about a DeDion rear end from a GTV6?

Might interfere slightly with the rear transaxle :)

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/29/09 2:57 p.m.
itsarebuild wrote: i've got a trunk deck luggage rack from a fiat 124 if you want to add the italian flavor to the axis collection. it is all packaged up and paid for from an ebay sale and the guy cancelled his account right after he paid without sending an address! yours free if you want it!

I appreciate the offer, unfortunately our trunk lid wont support any weight (oops did I say that out loud) ;)

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
10/29/09 11:32 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: We've got the german and the japanese in there guess I should use some italian parts to round out the Axis powers theme.

Throw a MOMO steering wheel on it..done.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
waYm3SLLgRz6IrX3GM4FiZnVdGOD5e4uGxyGolsK8zf8khtNJtAzbrDSiRd9C5dh